Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-17-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny test View Post
Take about 9-10% of your total earned revenue for the year and divide that by total hrs worked for the year and that's about average. $8.00 sounds sky high. Or your overhead is not calculated correctly.
Sky high as he missed wages.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Profit for you or your business?
Are you legit?
What type of corporation are you if yo have one? GP,LP,LLP,FLP,C corp,S corp,PC
NPC,Trusts etc..

PM me and I'll give you profit, gross and net for the business side.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZLawnPros View Post
Profit for you or your business?
Are you legit?
What type of corporation are you if yo have one? GP,LP,LLP,FLP,C corp,S corp,PC
NPC,Trusts etc..

PM me and I'll give you profit, gross and net for the business side.
You forgot LLC
Old 05-19-2012, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Man dude take some business classes in a local junior college. This will help you!
Old 05-20-2012, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
Man dude take some business classes in a local junior college. This will help you!
That or at least the local SBDC...its free...
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You all are speeking to a brick wall, he's a fire fighter and they are here to bring down the prices of lawncare for all of us. This particular one has just found out a little earlier than most that lowballing is a no win situation for everyone. You don't see every landscape guy going down to the firestation and applying for the job and putting down $8 for expected hourly pay rate so don't do it to hardworking landscapers.

You as a one man show should be making $35/ hour of on job working after business cost. Yes it gets alot deeper than that but I'm sure if you're like most solo's you aren't set up as a corp yet. I usually charge $50/hour for me on non mowing jobs and then another $30/hour for my help, this is after a healthy markup on materials and rental equipment. When you price out a job go in with the idea of take it or leave it (don't be cocky, just confident). If the customer wants it cheaper then adjust the level of service provided, and remember most people can sense a hungry salesman and will take advantage of it.

Look at it like this. Cost to operate your truck per mile $.85 mower per hour $8.75, trimmer/blower per hour $1.90.

Regular work week for newbie lowballer: 30 properties with an average of 25 minutes on mower and 15 trimming/blowing and paying an average of $30 with about 125 miles of driving that week. 24 hours driving working for $670.12, this is whats left to pay yourself, taxes, advertising and insurance with.
Regular work week for newbie non-lowballer: 25 properites (already weeded out the cheepo customers by being higher priced) 25 minutes on mower and 15 trimmer/blower again but he's getting $40/ property and driving 100 miles per week. This guy will put in about 20 hours driving or mowing and will bring in $811.97 for the week but still has all the other cost to cover also.

Mr. fireman (and other newbies out there) remember most of us aren't doing this for some extra spending money, we support our families off what we earn out here so charge the going rate. Work less make more!
Old 05-20-2012, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
You all are speeking to a brick wall, he's a fire fighter and they are here to bring down the prices of lawncare for all of us. This particular one has just found out a little earlier than most that lowballing is a no win situation for everyone. You don't see every landscape guy going down to the firestation and applying for the job and putting down $8 for expected hourly pay rate so don't do it to hardworking landscapers.

You as a one man show should be making $35/ hour of on job working after business cost. Yes it gets alot deeper than that but I'm sure if you're like most solo's you aren't set up as a corp yet. I usually charge $50/hour for me on non mowing jobs and then another $30/hour for my help, this is after a healthy markup on materials and rental equipment. When you price out a job go in with the idea of take it or leave it (don't be cocky, just confident). If the customer wants it cheaper then adjust the level of service provided, and remember most people can sense a hungry salesman and will take advantage of it.

Look at it like this. Cost to operate your truck per mile $.85 mower per hour $8.75, trimmer/blower per hour $1.90.

Regular work week for newbie lowballer: 30 properties with an average of 25 minutes on mower and 15 trimming/blowing and paying an average of $30 with about 125 miles of driving that week. 24 hours driving working for $670.12, this is whats left to pay yourself, taxes, advertising and insurance with.
Regular work week for newbie non-lowballer: 25 properites (already weeded out the cheepo customers by being higher priced) 25 minutes on mower and 15 trimmer/blower again but he's getting $40/ property and driving 100 miles per week. This guy will put in about 20 hours driving or mowing and will bring in $811.97 for the week but still has all the other cost to cover also.

Mr. fireman (and other newbies out there) remember most of us aren't doing this for some extra spending money, we support our families off what we earn out here so charge the going rate. Work less make more!

Well said.

Many a fireman, cop, teacher, want to moon light as LCO's and there is nothing wrong with that. But many use their well paying civil service jobs to allow them to low ball our industry.

As you said after they realize their full expenses that they are not making enough money because they low ball/don't charge enough.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Heres the link....http://ksbdc.kansas.gov/Pages/locations.aspx
Looks like Topeka is the closest office.
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.