Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-19-2013, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone ever traded in a almost new mower?

Last summer I purchased a brand new Cheetah 61", 36 BB whole nine yards. The property I was cutting was flooded by Hurricane Isaac, and has since been shut down and taken over by the government (it was next to a landfill, polution stuff, being excavated now).

Anyways, I am contemplating possibly trading it in for a stander, if I dont take a huge hit on it. That was my only big property (34 acres) and now I am back to strictly city stuff. Obviously I could try and market more towards bigger open lots, but at the same time I think I could be more productive now by getting a stander and using that on these smaller residential yards. I already have 36" hustler FTSD, so I am thinking get the stander as my main mower and use the hustler as a spare/backup/get through tight places mower.

Anyone have any insight? I think this is the first time where I couldnt make up my mind on my own, and it's driving me nuts.

TIA
Old 01-19-2013, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You are going to take a huge hit unfortunately. They may give you $7000 for it but you would be lucky
Old 01-19-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a deere x720 in 2011. Traded after a couple months with 80 hours. I got 500 more than I paid. I traded for a z950. Which is for sale or trade. My deere dealer will give me around 8000. Has 300 hours. Just to give you an idea.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2013, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would talk to the dealer and try to get a straight answer. It sounds like you aren't in a tight spot to trade so you may be better of selling it in the Spring and buying out right. Also remember you will not be taxed on the trade in value so that my help on making a decision.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd put my 61" Scag on a postage stamp lot if there's room. Why not use it and double your production over the 36?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I tend to agree with the notion of giving the Cheetah a try before making a decision. I've never personally used a stander, and don't know your area, so I can't say which is "better" for you, but just because mowers like the Cheetah are designed to cut large areas quickly doesn't mean they can't be used on smaller properties as well. You have the 36, which could be used on the smallest and/or least accessible properties. From where I sit, this is pretty much a perfect combo.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am like orangemower, I use my 60" Dixie on every property that it will fit on. I'm not sure how a smaller mower can be more productive? Especially when you consider that the average stander moves 33% slower than the Cheetah does in low gear. I've cut 1/4 acre lots next to guys on smaller mowers and blew them away.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Doug, how much you want for the Cheetah?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much you got?

I think for now I will hang on to it.

I would have liked something a little smaller, but like has been stated I can use it, it's just a little awkward but I will get used to it.

I wanted to make a decision before too many hours got put on it...but in all reality it isn't a bad mower to keep around. I will give it some more time and see how I feel after that. I just didn't want to get stuck with a mower with too many hours to sell for a decent price...

Oh and FYI for anyone who wants to know, it doesnt do what scag says it will MPH wise. It wont get over 10 mph in low, and 13 in high. Bringing it in tomorrow for the dealer to check it out.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowleak1 View Post
How much you got?

I think for now I will hang on to it.

I would have liked something a little smaller, but like has been stated I can use it, it's just a little awkward but I will get used to it.

I wanted to make a decision before too many hours got put on it...but in all reality it isn't a bad mower to keep around. I will give it some more time and see how I feel after that. I just didn't want to get stuck with a mower with too many hours to sell for a decent price...

Oh and FYI for anyone who wants to know, it doesnt do what scag says it will MPH wise. It wont get over 10 mph in low, and 13 in high. Bringing it in tomorrow for the dealer to check it out.
The one I demoed did 12 in low and 16 in high. Something isn't set up correctly or out of adjustment
Posted via Mobile Device