Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-22-2012, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok i bought the Cheetah yesterday. After cutting with it today I can give a proper review of the machine and what i think about it.

Cut quality= A+
Fuel Capacity= A+
Confort/Suspension= A+
32 HP Vanguard power= A-
Hydro system smoothness= A-
Hillside traction = A+
Ease of maintenance= A-
Speed= A+
Price compared to Exmark= A+

I absolutely love this machine. Im 100% happy with it and my biggest concern when i bought it was how it would handle hills. I put it to the test today and it did perfectly on 32 degree slopes. So all the stuff you hear about Cheetahs not doing well on hills compared to the Turf Tiger is WRONG! For anyone who is in the market for a new zero turn i would highly recommend the SCAG Cheetah over any other brand out there. Especially Exmark!! And as far as cut quality the Velocity Plus deck blows the Exmark Series 6 out of the water. It doesnt even compare, not even close.

2007 F-250 4x4 V10
8' Western Pro Plus Plow
2010 Haul-It tandem 6.5x14 aluminum trailer
2012 7X16 Enclosed Trailer
7X10 Dump Trailer
18 HP Billy Goat Leaf Loader
2012 SCAG Cheetah 61" 32 HP Vanguard
Accelerator grass catcher with leaf entender
Kawasaki 24" KHT600 hedge trimmers
Stihl FS 90R Trimmer with edger
Two Stihl FS 100 RX Trimmers
Stihl BG 55 blower
Two Stihl BR 600 Magnum backpack blowers
Stihl MS 180C Chainsaw
8 HP Giant Vac blower

21 Years Old
Old 05-22-2012, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stihlbr600 nice review. I am going to demo a cheetah in 10 days
PUSH MOWERS LAWN BOY AND TORO PROLINE
All STILH
ENCORE 8HP PUSH BLOWER
VERMEER 630B STUMP GRINDER
Old 05-22-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Glad you like it. I really don't see how anyone wouldn't. I bought the 36 Vanguard instead of the 32 where you have the A-. I think the 36 has plenty and I was told that they were the same price. Fuel consumption had no bearing on my decision so it was a no brainer. Your other A- on ease of maintenance. I haven't had to do anything to the mower maintenance wise but it all looks fairly accessible as far as new zero turns go.

As far as it holding hills, I do have to make two long passes on the sides of my ditch. No idea how steep it is but it does have a really good lean to it and it stays planted even when the grass is damp. So, I agree, no idea where the comments about it not holding are coming from.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

there's just hatred towards anything that is new on this site. things like the cheetah or newer 4 stroke trimmers. to me they are better in every way but many on here are just stuck in their old ways and are afraid of change.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
there's just hatred towards anything that is new on this site. things like the cheetah or newer 4 stroke trimmers. to me they are better in every way but many on here are just stuck in their old ways and are afraid of change.
How many hours have you spent on a TT and a Cheetah? I have been thousands of hours on TT's and at least 50 on 2 different Cheetahs. I would more than welcome a change if it was better. Although the suspension is a slightly better ride on the Cheetah everything else about it is a disadvantage over the TT. I also have 2 full time employees that agree. JMHO.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2012, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For those of you that have tried the cheetah or own one, Ive heard several folks say that you have to lean over to see the closed side of the deck when going around obstacles. Is that true????? I can see that the deck is more "underneathe" your feet than on the tiger cat which is what I have. I tested a diesel turf tiger last year and hated that I had to "lean" over to see how close i was to a tomb stone or to see going around a tree. With our tiger cats the deck is a lil further in front of me it seems like because all i have to do is look to my left and see with no problems going around obstacles which is definetly nice.

Also, I know were talking apples to oranges between my tiger cats and the cheetah. Not saying the t cats are better or anything.

Im just curious though. Let me know!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have to question the 32% degree slope. I know they can hold a hill as good as any but the last time I tried walking on a slope close to 30 degrees I slid down it on my rear end. I bought one of those gauges from home depot to check the slope and was surprised it was just under 30 degrees.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 05-23-2012, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I measured the slope, its my backyard lol. It if can handle my yard it can handle any hill im gonna come across. Ok had another day of cutting with the cheetah I used the high gear today to go to another account in the neighborhood and its crazy fast and more efficient because I only had to load the mower on the trailer one time. Overall Im still very pleased with the Cheetah. Its ultimate test is coming tomorrow where I have very large accounts to mow. I cant wait to see how much time it saves me.

2007 F-250 4x4 V10
8' Western Pro Plus Plow
2010 Haul-It tandem 6.5x14 aluminum trailer
2012 7X16 Enclosed Trailer
7X10 Dump Trailer
18 HP Billy Goat Leaf Loader
2012 SCAG Cheetah 61" 32 HP Vanguard
Accelerator grass catcher with leaf entender
Kawasaki 24" KHT600 hedge trimmers
Stihl FS 90R Trimmer with edger
Two Stihl FS 100 RX Trimmers
Stihl BG 55 blower
Two Stihl BR 600 Magnum backpack blowers
Stihl MS 180C Chainsaw
8 HP Giant Vac blower

21 Years Old
Old 05-24-2012, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
I have to question the 32% degree slope. I know they can hold a hill as good as any but the last time I tried walking on a slope close to 30 degrees I slid down it on my rear end. I bought one of those gauges from home depot to check the slope and was surprised it was just under 30 degrees.
As a guy who made his main living as a rough carpenter for his entire career, I can tell you this, a 7/12 pitch roof is 30 degrees, and no one in his right mind could ever ride a mower across an angle that steep and have it hold for long before sliding down all the way to the bottom.

BR600, -
exactly how did you measure this hill to determine the angle? Not trying to give you a hard time, but that's a really steep hill for a Z, and I don't believe any Z including the TT, the Cheetah, my Z950 or any other brand would hold it.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
As a guy who made his main living as a rough carpenter for his entire career, I can tell you this, a 7/12 pitch roof is 30 degrees, and no one in his right mind could ever ride a mower across an angle that steep and have it hold for long before sliding down all the way to the bottom.

BR600, -
exactly how did you measure this hill to determine the angle? Not trying to give you a hard time, but that's a really steep hill for a Z, and I don't believe any Z including the TT, the Cheetah, my Z950 or any other brand would hold it.
RG, I'm jealous , I've wanted a 900 series Deer for quite a while, but as I get older I find myself being more frugal with $10000. being my ceiling. Maybe I'll look at a 700 series next time. I've done well with my Exmarks over the years, and have a very good reputation in my area for doing quality work. I'd like to switch to Green, or at least put it on top of the list for next year.

As far as the slope thing I would chalk it up to overexuberance, excitement, exaggeration, and a new mower! We've all done it at some time.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong