Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2012, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

can i weed and feed seed

yes i'm considered home owner when it comes to applications.

i ve always sprated my yard but due to the health risks associated with air born chemicals id like to switch to a weed and feed granular

can i weed and feed? i know i can put the crab grass prev down if i want to seed.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sure. After you apply your crabgrass control in April. Do not attempt to seed until fall. Apply your weed and feed about 4 to 6 weeks later, and apply the weed and feed again in early October...to kill all the weeds that blow in during the summer...and to prevent chickweed, winter annuals and perennials from gaining a foothold.

Weed and feed is not as effective as a liquid sprayed solution. And don't forget to wear rubber boots--no sense in getting the chemicals on your shoes and getting chemicals absorbed into your skin every day for the next 6 weeks.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Member

You really DO NOT want to seed and apply crabgrass preventative at the same time. The crabgrass preventer essentially lays a layer of chemical block to not allow the crabgrass seeds to germinate and pop through the soil. Problem is that if you have seeds that haven't germinated and then you put down a crabgrass preventer, it will inhibit the new seeds from germinating properly and basically put all that good seed to no-so-good use.

As stated above, lay down seed, then 4-6 weeks later (I like to wait until the seeds start to germinate) then lay down weed and feed to rid your lawn of broadleaf weeds (dandelions, clover, etc.). I am a fan of spring seeding so that I can apply fertilizer throughout the year and strengthen it for the harsh winter months. But to each their own...
Old 05-16-2012, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

I did my weed and feed at the same time I did my seeding and I got new grass poping up. The new seeds are popping up nicely.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can't do that...but, i guess you did. hope it works OK.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I did and it working great...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2012, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have applied crabgrass prevention at time of seeding without issue, (rye grass)....kbg and tttf germinate to slow to do this with.

OP, I think you will be upset with the switch to granular, I had a customer a few years ago that refused liquids because of air handlers that could not be turned off. Against my recommendation they used the granular and I can tell you that the dust was so much worse...I will never use a granular weed and feed again...anywhere for any reason....it was awful, the dust floated everywhere, especially on me the applicator.

Good luck.