The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-06-2016, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Question about gas cans

Is there a law that says we can't use racing fuel cans? They are simple just like the old gas cans.... fill & pour. No push this, pull that.... just a hose that goes in to the tank.

Just wondering for those guys that need a 5 gallon can yet hate the new stuff on the market.

I'm a Sure Can guy but just wondering for those guys that want the old simple way back.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Good idea... Watching
Old 01-07-2016, 04:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hadn't looked them up in many years so after a little research, I might be able to answer my own question.... they are no longer called fuel cans. They are now called a utility jug. But if anyone knows for sure let us know... this is just a guess on my part.

But just a little info in case anyone decides they do want to buy a fuel can aka utility jug.... VP Racing sells them, Speedway Motors sells them and so does Scribner Plastics. Here is the difference.... the kind VP & Speedway sells has 3 threads while the Scribner Plastics jugs have 4 threads. Now you may wonder what that matters... leakage. The 3 threads sometimes leaks.

By the way, Speedway Motors has a 2.5 gallon.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subiz View Post
I hadn't looked them up in many years so after a little research, I might be able to answer my own question.... they are no longer called fuel cans. They are now called a utility jug. But if anyone knows for sure let us know...
Real plastic fuel cans (like the Surecan) require multiple layers of plastic that not only do not react to liquid fuel, but also are impervious to fuel vapors. They also have additives to prevent the buildup of static electricity, and to protect them from UV and ozone exposure that can make them crack.

"Utility jugs", water cans and the like, are made without these costly features (except perhaps the UV and ozone protection, which can be hit or miss).

Perhaps the plastic doesn't melt in gasoline, but as vapors escape, your gas goes bad faster...
Perhaps the cap gets brittle over time with exposure to gas...

I'll put gas in cans meant to hold gas, thank you very much.

As for the law, well that's a more sticky subject. Technically, in an occupational use, you would need an OSHA approved can. I am not aware of plastic OSHA approved cans. And it may even be possible in your jurisdiction that you are required to have a can that is both DOT AND OSHA rated. You don't want to know what one of those costs...
Old 01-07-2016, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Some guys add these to regular gas cans:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Yellow-Fue...8AAOxyVaBS3XA4

And some do this (starting watching at the 1:40 mark):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcnwdIYEfI

I would never do it, but I bet it helps a lot.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 01-07-2016, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

check out " no spill' gas cans. they are the first can in years that actually work. I probably have 15 of them and love them.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Racers have used what is now called a utility jug for many years and I'm sure it will continue for many years. Having been around the race track for right at 50 years I've never heard of anyone having a problem.

Oh well, good idea anyway and maybe if someone is like me and doesn't follow many rules they can get one or 3 if they choose. Now that I know Speedway has 2.5 gallon cans I'll probably go to those instead of the Sure Can. Although I like the Sure Can.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Rural King you can get a 5 gal can for 10 bucks then I bought the hose kit that dosent have the push pull function for another 10 bucks. So for 20 bucks you get a decent can.

http://www.ruralking.com/midwest-can...-can-5600.html
Old 01-07-2016, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

VP cans are EPA illegal off track and DOT knows. If you're willing to chance a serious fine over a gas can have at it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2016, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm a fan of the gas cans with the safety button on top. It has saved me a few dollars worth of gasoline spills when it gets knocked over in the truck, or trailer.