Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2013, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The FX system is a bit pricier, but again you can't compare them. It is akin to comparing a forklift vs. a car. Yes, they will both get you to the church house on sunday morning, but they were made to perform very different and specific tasks. So the person buying the forklift isn't really interested in the car because it won't do the specific task needed for it to perform.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 01-09-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

To answer your question, Steve, to do what the Luxor system does, you would need too much equipment. For example, the system I installed had 4 Luxor transformers controlling over 30 groups. To do that with SA or other UPB systems, you would need over 30 transformers, and dedicated main runs to each group, meaning you would have to use 5-10X the wire of a standard install.

Each has its place, and I can see using simply automated on more jobs than Luxor, but the Luxor does what no other product out there does right now.

As to the fixture choices, you are limited to what fx makes. That part sucks because they don't make every fixture I might want to use. What would rock everyone's world is if they came out with retrofit LEDs that were ZD (zoning and dimming) compatible.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-09-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

" What would rock everyone's world is if they came out with retrofit LEDs that were ZD (zoning and dimming) compatible."

Or what would be really cool is if they would license their luxor control technology to others, like LED lamp manufacturers, so that more fixture options would be available to the Pro installers that have the market into which the luxor system can be sold. You would still be required to purchase Luxor transformers/controllers, but would be able to use all sorts of niche and specialty fixtures with luxor enabled LED lamps inside.

Hopefully some highly placed visionary at Hunter / FX is reading this.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 01-09-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting View Post

Or what would be really cool is if they would license their luxor control technology to others, like LED lamp manufacturers, so that more fixture options would be available to the Pro installers ...............
I'll second that motion.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 01-10-2013, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'll third that. I am sure they could make a boat load just off the licensing of the technology alone. (not to mention all of the transformers and controllers they would sell.) Don't get me wrong, I like the FX line of fixtures, but it is a limited line to say the least and having that option to modify other niche fixtures to their controller would be da bomb.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 01-10-2013, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting View Post
"
Or what would be really cool is if they would license their luxor control technology to others, like LED lamp manufacturers, so that more fixture options would be available to the Pro installers that have the market into which the luxor system can be sold. You would still be required to purchase Luxor transformers/controllers, but would be able to use all sorts of niche and specialty fixtures with luxor enabled LED lamps inside.

Hopefully some highly placed visionary at Hunter / FX is reading this.
Kevin G...James H... the people have spoken!

I agree. making it more open source is the way to go, but they've got to keep it proprietary for a while. I get that. As a designer it would be nice to not be limited to a particular line. I cherry pick from dozens of manufacturers to get the look I want at the pricepoint the customer desires. Narrowing down to one manufacturer severely limits your options.
Andy Thomas CLVLT #1058 COLD #1321
Owner, Viewpoint Lighting
www.ViewpointLighting.com
Old 02-11-2013, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Member

George,

Since you made the tour of the FX factory, I was hoping that you could shed some light on the inner workings of the Luxor transformer.

I have a client that has a outdoor BBQ area and overhang. They want to be able to control the upper lights and the down lights on separate dual dimmer controls and wanted to use LED lights. Have only seen the "Zane LED dimmer" that will allow control of LED lights and don't know much about the FX ZD lights with the Luxor transformer to be able to make this work and not sure if this is an overkill approach.

I uploaded pics of the overhang and the BBQ area so that you know what I'm dealing with.

Client was looking at the FX "PB" up light for the tongue & groove ceiling sections and the "NL" down light for the work areas and wanted the up lights and the down lights to be on separate dimmers and wanted to control the on/off with the remote that he has for the pool equipment.

Wasn't sure if the Luxor transformer would be able to handle a dimmer or if the Luxor has an easy on/off or dimmer capabilities beyond the actual programming of scenes. Was originally going to mount the transformer under the BBQ area, but if it is capable of on-the-fly dimming and on/off controlling then I might mount it on the back of one of the upright posts and do away with the dimmers. Do you just turn the wheel to access the different scenes?

Was hoping that you or someone on the forum could chime in and let me know the capabilities of the FX system.

Also, does anybody know if you can run halogen lights along with the ZD lights to be able to dim the halogen at the same rate as the ZD lights with the Luxor transformer or does it take the special ZD chip to be able to work?

Thanks

Name:  Overhang2.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  53.7 KB
Name:  BBQ Area2.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  55.2 KB
Old 02-11-2013, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Member

HI

Let me start off by saying that I like the idea of the PB's mounted on the perimeter beams and grazing the tongue and groove ceiling. You might get the fixtures in white and mount them as such that the longer part of the shroud faces downward so there'd be no visible light coming from them as you look from below. They could be mounted on the vertical part of the beam to accomplish this. The NL will make a good downlight for an area like this. You can really put as many as you'd like along the insides of the beams over the counters and grills. My suggestion would be to get at least the 3 LED unit of the downlights because with Luxor, you can dim them down less than 10% output, yet having the 3 LED set up, will allow him to brighten the place up nicely if needed.

Mind you, you can put some of the downlights on one group and others on another group. Your limited only by your imagination. ( and his budget)

Now to get to the meat of your questions. The LUXOR component not only adds control to the LED fixtures, but full range dimming as well. For this application as you've outlined it, the LUXOR system will let you call, for example, the uplights Group 1 and the downlights Group 2. Then with the programming and theme controls, you can set up the unit to turn the lights on automatically and at what percent of brightness.

As far as him being able to use the system with his existing pool controller, that might be an issue. The LUXOR system is stand alone and wouldn't need to be interfaced with a JANDY type controller because it wouldn't work.

Rather, and as discussed previously on this thread, the Luxor system will be updated and more bells and whistles will come out for it. I'm hoping that they incorporate wifi and have smart phone capability. IN that scenario, the client would, upon getting ready to cook at night, whip out his iPhone, and dial in his lighting and turn his downlights up to 80% to see what he's doing.

IN the meantime, my suggestion might be to locate the LUXOR unit in such a place that the client has access to it and can change the lighting just as if they were dimmers on each 'zone'.

The Luxor control panel connects with a short RJ11 cord such that if you got a longer RJ11, you could set the controller up at a location that was not where the transformer is.

As much as you could accomplish what you are trying to do with incandescent lights, zane dimmers, a regular transformer, and integration with his pool control, it won't be the same.

The LUXOR system doesn't dim incandescent or halogen.

I'm guessing there is a cabana around this cooking area? Good location to put the Luxor unit? With the FX ZD fixtures, you can now( or later) add more lighting for the landscaping, pathways, security, etc. and integrate them into the Luxor system simply by programming them to another group. In the long run, this system will give your client the most flexibilty, actually save on core cost because you only need one transformer ( per 300 watt lighting load), and will allow him to have full range dimming to set the mood just right for when he's entertaining.

Hope this helped..

George
Old 02-23-2013, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Just wanted to clarify the last poster. Luxor is not designed to work with incandescent or halogen lights. You should not mix and match, only use ZD fixtures.