Too much herbicide 0 0%
Blunt Mower blades 0 0%
Beetles and grubs 0 0%
Excessive fertilizer 1 8.33%
Fungus 12 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2012, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bperl, I don't like to make a definative diagnosis based on photos but I am 90% certain what these pictures show is red thread. It has been quite prevelant here in NOVA over the last 7-10 days. My techs started reporting it to me early last week, 10-20% of lawns showing symptons. Why 10-20? Disease does discriminate, curioursly in all the post on this subject no discussion on cultral practices which account for a large percentage of disease problems. Red thread can and will respond to fertilization, 1/2 lb of nirogen per k works in many cases, for the stuburn cases including those who over water their lawns (not suggesting that you do) we apply eagle fungicide in liquid mix with 4% iron and it usually goes bye-bye within 7-10 days. Red thread is so named because at certain stages it does actually look red but then turns brown and looks just like your pictures.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

If you can post some updated pics that would be helpfull to see how the disease is progressing. After looking over the pics a second time it does look more like dollar spot. Dollar spot turns the damaged grass alot dryer looking, like straw. Where most other diseases are more of a tannish color. Of course if it kills the turf it will all look the same, dead. My advise is to call a reputable company in your area and ask for a consult. Your gonna continue to get differing answers here because it's to hard to actually ID the turf disease from pictures, we can rule out, from weather and timing, which diseases it is likely not and which it likely is, but it's still going to be a best guess. Some disease can be caused from a lack of nitrogen (dollar spot, red thread) but most disease in tttf is from over fertilizing. If you haven't fertilized in the spring that should help you pin point which disease it is. But, to help from having your lawn damaged more severely, call a pro for at least a consult. Just my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2012, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

CWC makes some good points

Also, you could just go ahead and treat but you already show some damage to severe to bring back and to late in the spring to replant so your going to have some renovation this fall regardless.

I just looked at my label for Cleary's which takes care of Brown Patch, Dollar spot & Red Thread so I'd go with a treatment of Clearys 3336-F now and get something down that might help further killing off of the yard.

Don't know what you have near you to get access to this but I buy here:
http://www.southernag.com/contact.php

They ship quick so you should have it by end of the week and then all thats left is spraying your yard, you have a sprayer?

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 05-22-2012, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Member

updated pics - 5/22/12

As mentioned, I've spread Bayer Advanced Fungus Control (pellets) on 5/19.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2012, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Member

5/22/12 - Cont...
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2012, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

bperl
I'm going to let some of the others thats been chiming in give you their opinion but for what its worth, I see a whole lot of yellow and a little less brown which is good news; I don't see fungus.

But I'm just a homeowner who learned on his own so get a second opinion from the others here.

This is the best I can find of brown patch from last year, other fugus would act the same manner

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women

Tags
lawn brown patch