Register free!

Old 05-18-2012, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The countdown has begun....

till nov 1 lol....its been rainy and humid here this week so summer has officially started. Planning on getting enough work this year to have 2-3 guys working for me....really want to start growing the biz rather than working in the biz....
Old 05-18-2012, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
till nov 1 lol....its been rainy and humid here this week so summer has officially started. Planning on getting enough work this year to have 2-3 guys working for me....really want to start growing the biz rather than working in the biz....
Apparently we think in a similar nature as I just had the countdown thought in my head at the start of the week and remember a similar thread I think you started last year.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:06 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
That is a good goal to work towards. Just remember " the point of diminishing returns". Understand that regardless how many more accounts you have or employees you hirer you or anyone else will only make a certain $$$$ amount and that will be it. Your overhead will consume the balance. Unless your planning on retiring in the near future say 3 to 5 years you will be always working in he "biz".
easy-lift guy
Old 05-18-2012, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=easy-lift guy;4415513]That is a good goal to work towards. Just remember " the point of diminishing returns". Understand that regardless how many more accounts you have or employees you hirer you or anyone else will only make a certain $$$$ amount and that will be it. Your overhead will consume the balance. Unless your planning on retiring in the near future say 3 to 5 years you will be always working in he "biz".
easy-lift guy[/QUOTE I agree...you will always need to be closely involved each and every day...for us at the moment, each person we hire adds about 50-60.00 per day to our net....thats about it...the more you grow the higher the costs and lower the % of net you keep...that said, i would rather make 10% on 1M than 40% on 150k....if you dont grow you wont get to the high sales numbers....just pulling these numbers as an example....if youre not growing youre dying...
Old 05-18-2012, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=MR-G;4415591]
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
That is a good goal to work towards. Just remember " the point of diminishing returns". Understand that regardless how many more accounts you have or employees you hirer you or anyone else will only make a certain $$$$ amount and that will be it. Your overhead will consume the balance. Unless your planning on retiring in the near future say 3 to 5 years you will be always working in he "biz".
easy-lift guy[/QUOTE I agree...you will always need to be closely involved each and every day...for us at the moment, each person we hire adds about 50-60.00 per day to our net....thats about it...the more you grow the higher the costs and lower the % of net you keep...that said, i would rather make 10% on 1M than 40% on 150k....if you dont grow you wont get to the high sales numbers....just pulling these numbers as an example....if youre not growing youre dying...
All I meant is I don't want to be running the edger and mower. I know will be involved in the day to day stuff for sure, wouldn't have it any other way
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2012, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=diamondlandscaping;4415648]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-G View Post

All I meant is I don't want to be running the edger and mower. I know will be involved in the day to day stuff for sure, wouldn't have it any other way
Posted via Mobile Device
That's what I thought too when I went back to two crews. I stll find myself going behind them and being way OCD about stuff. I still jump on stuff when I can. It's good for the guys morale to see you work too.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

never do yourself what you are paying others to do for you...

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Old 05-19-2012, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What a difference a year makes. We have already gotten nice rains and lower temps. Last may was bone dry and much hotter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2012, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
What a difference a year makes. We have already gotten nice rains and lower temps. Last may was bone dry and much hotter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Still hot and drier here. Dust city.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
never do yourself what you are paying others to do for you...
Then you end up like the guy posting why 7guys, 3 crews cutting 170 lawns adds up to being in the red. I will always be active in the field operations of my company. Leading by example worked for 20 years in the military and works just as well in this business.