Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-31-2011, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wood chipper/shredder

For the past week I have been trying to research wood chipper/shredders. I don't need it for tree work, but I do the occasional fence line clearing, hauling off branches from customers yards, shrub trimming, etc. So the 3" will be the max. My price range is $2,000 or less. Here are my options: Mackissic Mighty mac (around $800) with 205cc I believe. The Craftsman 305cc (which is the only one that I can find with several reviews; which are good) the price is same as mighty mac. The Echo Bear Cat Several different models, but the one I had in mind is the SC3342 with 342cc which costs around $2,000. I won't be making a whole lot of money off of the machine, but I want something for convenience. Any suggestions for another machine, or comments on the ones mentioned will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I forgot to mention, I will need something that I can walk behind, because I don't have a riding mower to tow it, and I definitely don't want a huge one that I tow with my truck.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We bought a Troy Bilt with about the same intention that you have on using it on small jobs. Found it to be totally worthless in that it took so much more time to fool with it. We can cut up the stuff throw it in a trailer and be done with it. We then bought a bigger chipper which takes up to 6 inches and again it sits back at the shop. Dealing with chips without a dumb truck is no good. Just our 2 cents.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larson Lawn Care View Post
For the past week I have been trying to research wood chipper/shredders. I don't need it for tree work, but I do the occasional fence line clearing, hauling off branches from customers yards, shrub trimming, etc. So the 3" will be the max. My price range is $2,000 or less. Here are my options: Mackissic Mighty mac (around $800) with 205cc I believe. The Craftsman 305cc (which is the only one that I can find with several reviews; which are good) the price is same as mighty mac. The Echo Bear Cat Several different models, but the one I had in mind is the SC3342 with 342cc which costs around $2,000. I won't be making a whole lot of money off of the machine, but I want something for convenience. Any suggestions for another machine, or comments on the ones mentioned will be greatly appreciated.
Bahh, the SC3206 would do what you probably want to do, at about $1100. The 3342 would likely be overkill for you. The 3206 is still a belt driven unit.
Echo-Bearcat (formerly Crary Industries) is a good American built product, you don't have to worry about salt corrosion due to its import feature.

I don't see ANYTHING on the Sears website that would be worth wasting your money on. You've got to remember, MTD has the build contract for the Crapsman stuff in 2011 and suggestively forward, so all you're buying is a different branded TroyBilt, Yardman, Yardmachines or any other MTD product.

As far as that Stanley brand.. well, we can't talk about that overseas brand here because GXi is a Lawnsite sponsor and it'd get the thread deleted.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I know I don't want a Troy Bilt, and I didn't give the cheaper Bear cat model any attention because I was afraid it was the same as maybe the Mighty Mac or others which are a bit less money. My comparisons are based on the cc ratings. I'm not entirely sure what to look for in a machine, I know I want a well know durable brand, more catered to a professional or large property home owner. I don't know what to look for when it comes to the blades engine type, etc. I'll do some research on the Bear Cat sc3206.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larson Lawn Care View Post
Thanks for the info. I know I don't want a Troy Bilt, and I didn't give the cheaper Bear cat model any attention because I was afraid it was the same as maybe the Mighty Mac or others which are a bit less money. My comparisons are based on the cc ratings. I'm not entirely sure what to look for in a machine, I know I want a well know durable brand, more catered to a professional or large property home owner. I don't know what to look for when it comes to the blades engine type, etc. I'll do some research on the Bear Cat sc3206.
most of the MTD ones are going to be direct drive off the engine shaft, the SC3206 runs on a belt and idler setup. You'll appreciate the belt driven units for the same reason a belt driven blade lawnmower is better than one bolted direct to the shaft if you ever hit something (or somehow jam the chipper up).
Old 09-01-2011, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll definitely buy a belt drive machine. If anyone has experience with both, how would the Bear Cat SC3206 compare to a Mackissic Mighty Mac SC800?
Old 09-01-2011, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ours is the entry level vermeer and it belt driven with 25 hp engine.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Member

we have the bear cat. I'd say that we never....ever.... use it. we thought that we would use it more, but it is just too time consuming. it will chip pretty well tho.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlunchbox View Post
we have the bear cat. I'd say that we never....ever.... use it. we thought that we would use it more, but it is just too time consuming. it will chip pretty well tho.
Same with us. Now I seen that Billygoat came out with an aluminum insert dump bed for leaf guys and I was curious if that could be used for chips. Four years ago we had a massive job in the winter to trim about 100 trees. We rented the biggest chipper we could fine and chipped into big trash containers. We hauled the limps on trailer to the central chip site. That went pretty well. Our 6" chipper sat at the office.