Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-20-2012, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

help me choose the best weed whacker.

This is my 1st post, be kind please.

I recently bought a roybi weed whacker from home depot for 110, i later find out that its going to over-heat when running for extended periods of time & also that it only runs on half choke or whatever.

i called home depot up and they said that they dont even have any weed whackers that are meant to run for 8 hrs a day.

my question is what weed whacker can i get that will be able to last 8 hours a day 7 days a week. id prefer if it came with a warranty, where could i get it at also.

thanks.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Any commercial unit made by one of many manufacturers. Echo
-redmax-stihl etc etc etc

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 05-20-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you are honestly going to run it 56 hours a week then a stihl fs250r is the only one that will last. I have some that are three and four years old and they still run like new. I got tired of buying new trimmers every year so I switched to this model and couldn't be more happy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why would u be buying equipment from homedepot if you mowing/trimming 8hrs a day 5 days a week?

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 05-20-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have a phone book or internet access?

A local commercial equipment dealer would be a good place to start looking.

The difference between a $100 Home Depot trimmer and a $300 commercial trimmer is the difference between a butter knife and a steak knife when you're cutting into a thick T-bone.
Don't buy a butter knife to cut a steak.

p.s.
I burned up a TroyBuilt when I started up. Best thing that could have happened, since it prompted me to buy a Stihl. (FS90R)
Old 05-20-2012, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Why would u be buying equipment from homedepot if you mowing/trimming 8hrs a day 5 days a week?
because i just turned 18 and i thought that home depot had everything i needed for everything.

im trying to start a landscaping business and im looking for the most durable longest lasting equiptment
Old 05-20-2012, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Do you have a phone book or internet access?

A local commercial equipment dealer would be a good place to start looking.

The difference between a $100 Home Depot trimmer and a $300 commercial trimmer is the difference between a butter knife and a steak knife when you're cutting into a thick T-bone.
Don't buy a butter knife to cut a steak.

p.s.
I burned up a TroyBuilt when I started up. Best thing that could have happened, since it prompted me to buy a Stihl. (FS90R)
thank you, i have the feeling that buying any stihl commerical grade trimmer will work, i think ill get the fs 250 R
Old 05-21-2012, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayoo0 View Post
because i just turned 18 and i thought that home depot had everything i needed for everything.

im trying to start a landscaping business and im looking for the most durable longest lasting equiptment
you do admit you are young...you will learn soon quality at a higher upfront price means money saved in the long run....never buy cheap tools no matter what kind of tool it is does not matter if its a lawn tool or a mechanics tool

it sucks buying the same tool 2 or 3 times

Last edited by tdr6874; 05-21-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First of all...if you're looking to get in the business, it's called a string trimmer or just a trimmer...not a weed whacker.

You're running a trimmer for 8 straight hours every day and you've just started out? How many clients do you have? That's a hell of a lot of trimming for just starting out.

Stihl, Echo, Redmax, Kawasaki, Shindaiwa...It's six of one half dozen of the other. Pick a brand that has good dealer support near you.

Personally, I run a Kawasaki trimmer and a Sithl fc90 edger.

I ran a Ryobi for many years...still have it in fact and it still runs (the damn thing won't die!). It has been converted to hedge trimming duty this year since I don't trim hedges on a weekly basis. I bought it 7 years ago to use on my personal yard and started using it for my part time business. I have slowly been converting my equipment to commercial grade stuff as I can afford it. Commercial equipment is leaps and bounds ahead of Homeowner grade stuff.