Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-14-2012, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Help ! Lawnboy Mag19 ignition...

Hello !
I'm having trouble with my old two stroke engine lawnboy mowers. I have four of those beauties and none of them want to start !!!

I'm quite acquainted with mechanics but here I cannot find where the trouble is.
I suspect my ignition coils to be burned. But four in a row is quite surprising.

I still have to make some further check (flywheel gap, igniter, sparkplugs, proper carb settings, etc...). The thing is that measuring if a coil needs replacement or not requires special tool that I don't have (impossible to check with a multimeter ampmeter, or something...)

My question is, should I have to replace those coils:

A) is the "baking" method a valid one on the long run ?

B) Where can I find a replacment coil (I checked the internet without success)

Thank you all of you for your attention and help, I wish you a good and green one !

Fred
Old 05-15-2012, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Member

I find it hard to believe that all four coils have gone at the same time. You better get your meter out and start checking. Stens used to offer the D400 aftermarket coil if that helps. Foley Belsaw may have something in their catalog this year too. I just looked at ebay and see them listed there for $25 so someone is making them. Part number 678539.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=144040

I know we're talking Lawnboy but it would help to know the models we're talking about. Not all LB's are alike nor are their coils.

First, pull the kill lead at the coil. Get a spark checker and install between the plug and coil wire. Crank the engine--if no spark, replace coil.

If you have spark with the kill lead disconnected but have no spark with the kill lead connected then there is likely a fault in your kill lead.

In some case, if there is a zone cable involved in the process, the zone cable may not be opening the kill circuit. If the unit is old enough to have a switch on the shroud, it could be a faulty switch.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for the reply ! In fact my first problem is the model identification. Ok, the brick engine one is easy to identify but for the 3 latter models I have, I cannot find out. They all "look" the same but bear different model numbers which seem to not correspond to any of those that were sold in the U.S. Those one come from Outboard Marine Corp. Brugges, which is a Belgian town. They all have the white switch button. I already checked the contacts and cleaned everything. Today I tried to check the condensator and I used a 12V DC power supply to charge it (a few milliseconds). Result, no spark when shortcircuiting the body and lead... ? Maybe I broke it myself with too much flow, I dunno. There is no data on it.
I also tried the "baking method" and after a stay of 10 min (instead of 2 hours like supposed to) in the oven, I decided to stop the experiment, cause the wires began to melt... Anyway all in all, no spark.
I I can do that I will try to post some pics of them (or picture of the coil itself) with their respective ID plate so maybe you can tell me which model it is.
Thank you so much for thge help !
Have a nice one
Old 05-15-2012, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is What I have :

two models which bear model type : 5239

One "brick" model that bears model:5023

and one Deluxe model , model type: 5269c

Can anyone also tell me what's the difference between "normal" and "deluxe" version, cse I cannot see.

I also attached pictures of both coil and condensator of the one I'm currently workin' on.

THX ya all !

Last edited by flyingwillie; 05-15-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The 5239's are referred to as Deluxe and the 5239 which you supplied the serial for, was made in 1971.

The 5203 and 5269C are 1974 production.

You can go to LawnBoy's website for parts breakdowns.

Those mowers are 40 years old and most of that era should be checked for excessive side play in the lower crank journal.

I checked several dealers for the coil but all say "call us" in the price column so I don't know if they are ashamed of the price or that they are no longer available from LB. As Sharkey indicates, there are probably some after market manufacturers who may be able to supply you

The D400's employ a centrifugal governor under the flywheel which requires some special LB tools to set properly. It's been a while since I've worked on one that old.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Yep, new points, condensor and coil and you will be back up and running. To check for spark you need to pull the plug and turn the machine over and see if you have spark at the plug.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1 View Post

The D400's employ a centrifugal governor under the flywheel which requires some special LB tools to set properly. It's been a while since I've worked on one that old.
Ok Thank you very much for your attention and help on this!

I didn't know that the system needed any setting... is there any place I could find how to do that. I have much tools I could maybe use in place of that special LB one if I knew the theorical and logical aspect of the tuning...I can also make one if it's not a too complicated electronic device.

Anyway thanks for the help,
Have a good one!
fred
Old 05-16-2012, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboyman View Post
Yep, new points, condensor and coil and you will be back up and running. To check for spark you need to pull the plug and turn the machine over and see if you have spark at the plug.
Hope so... thx for the message. I checked as you said but no spark for the moment. I will begin with new point and condensor. If still nothing, new coil.
But as dutch1 mentionned here, if there is a special tool needed to set the centrifugal governor properly, I don't have it and cannot do the right setting. That would really be a pitty. I'll try to find out anyway. I hate the idea of beeing unable to bring them to life again... Thank you for the help.
Wish you a good one too !!!

Last edited by flyingwillie; 05-16-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1 View Post
I checked several dealers for the coil but all say "call us" in the price column so I don't know if they are ashamed of the price or that they are no longer available from LB. As Sharkey indicates, there are probably some after market manufacturers who may be able to supply you
I also contacted several times a LB part dealer but after having received all the identification numbers from me, he replied there was nothing to get out of them, these were no numbers relating to any Us production mowers, so he could not identify nor help me further. This is why I wanted to know if all same series mowers had the same parts mounted on them. At least the same parts that those I need to fix mine.
for ex, all D400 series = same coil... (no matter date production for ex)

Also, I checked the link you sent me regarding the fact that series numbers and engine numbers are preferably required to help solving problems like this.
I understand that quite well.
Did I provide enough information here or are there other numbers you would need ?