Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-20-2012, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

When to water after I've applied weed and feed?

Last Friday I put down Lesco's granular weed and feed. How soon can I or should I start up my irrigation system? I know the product is meant to stick to the weeds so I watered before I applied. Just wondering how long before I can begin watering again. Also wondering how soon I can mow. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

what did the lable say because that is what I would do.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Connor,
Granular weed and feed does require wetness on all target weeds prior to application. The intent is for the prills to stick on the leaf surface of the target weeds. Do you see any visual signs of chlorosis on these target weeds yet?
I would hope that within a weeks time you would have watered by now because one of the products in weed n feed works on the leaf, and the other two products works on the soil and roots as a systemic. This requires watering to pull the product into the upper 1-2 inches of the soil to be effective. Fertilizers is added as a means of speeding up the uptake of the herbicides as well as to enhance growth of the lawn.
If you have seen yellowing-chlorosis, leaf curl, wilting or twisting of weed stems, then go ahead and water.
I agree with Duekster..........that label on those bags is pretty extensive and tells you who, what, where, when and why......what you should do.
Often, with the lack of water, the fertilizers will be lost to nitrification and evaporate or even render the herbicides ineffective. Usually, normal ground moisture is enough to start the process of dissolving the prills, so go ahead and water. Mowing can be done within 48 hours after application of this product with watering as a part of the program.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your help. Wife threw the bags away before I could read the entire instructions. I already knew what rate I was going to apply at but didn't have the details on watering or mowing post application. Thanks again Think Green.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor77 View Post
Thanks for your help. Wife threw the bags away before I could read the entire instructions. I already knew what rate I was going to apply at but didn't have the details on watering or mowing post application. Thanks again Think Green.
I blame the wife often and wonder why she is not more helpful.