Register free!

Old 06-25-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDLandscapes VT View Post
TomG

I read my post again...I wasn't trying to be snarky or mean....

On a further exploratory level--those here that just hardscape and those that landscape as well. What do you do to get rid of the compaction caused by the machinery and materials entering and exiting the site--particularly if the entrance/exit will be landscaped.
We use plywood to run our mini ex down the property line between homes and hydraulic wheelbarrows do the running back and forth with the waste, and with the granular. Typical situations our workways don't get compacted much at all. I think you'd be looking at less than 10lbs per sq.in with full loads. I'm on a job now where the only tool I've used is my kx-91, its handled large rocks, excavated 800sqft. I had the truck back up right to the patio and loaded directly into it. No mess. My track loader has sat idle most of this job. I think the question to this op should be what 2 machines are best for hardscaping. Mini x first, track loader second. imo anyway.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Thanks! I think it's time to trade in the CAT hat, though!

In my opinion, yes.

Don't spend money on toys that you can get by without. Landscape and hardscape guys are ego driven. Work pick up trucks with leather interior, diesel engines, etc. Brand new skid steers and excavators with every attachment in the catalog. Tracked machines are pricey, replacement tracks are even more. Our hardscape work is limited to a certain geographic area in MD. The soil is not heavy in clay, and rubber tire machines perform well for us. So well that it does not justify the expense of tracked.

On the other hand we do other work (non-hardscape / landscape related) in another geographic area with heavy clay soil. And you'd be a fool to even think about taking a rubber tired machine through the yards.

Walk behind skid steers are handy. But if you're new and starting out - you're limiting yourself from other income potential.

Hey hey I dont beat up you business practices lol
Old 06-25-2012, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDLandscapes VT View Post
TomG

I read my post again...I wasn't trying to be snarky or mean....

On a further exploratory level--those here that just hardscape and those that landscape as well. What do you do to get rid of the compaction caused by the machinery and materials entering and exiting the site--particularly if the entrance/exit will be landscaped.
No worries, didn't mean to come across harsh, been a long day working in the rain. We found we would spend more time trying not to mess up lawns than it would to just mess them up and repair them. Most people realize that there will be lawn damage and are fine with it (of course we explain that to them from the beginning)

Anyone can run equipment, very few can operate.

Check out what I do.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BobcatNinja2124

The company I work for.
http://www.interstatelandscapenh.com/

Follow me on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/TheDirtNinja
Old 06-25-2012, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No I understand lawn damage....the damage I m talking about is the compaction to the soil from vehicular traffic in a concentrated area--particularly if it rains. Just loaming the ruts doesn't fix the underlying problem of the compaction in the soil profile.

We do tear up our share of grass--I m just looking for the fastest method for truly repairing compacted egress routes. Right now I prefer rotadairon with compost amendments then seed---just wanted to see if there was something else
Old 06-25-2012, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomG View Post
Yes, usually more planning is involved. Lets take a 50' walkway for example. Excavate the material and dump it directly in a truck (our 5t can load any size truck even tri-axles) then scoop gravel directly out of another truck and place in walkway. On jobs that only the mini-ex is on we almost never dump material. Always work out of the truck. I can lift full pallets of material out of a 6 wheeler no problem and place them. Also being really efficient with an excavator depends on what attachments you have. We have a 24" tooth bucket, 36" tooth bucket, 52" grading bucket w/power tilt(you can tilt the bucket 90deg to either side) and a hydraulic breaker.
thanks tom.

unfortunately I'm still working with a skid and 1 truck so when it comes time to add a mini ex I will probably have to bring the skid as well.

any other tips to running a job with a mini ex? not operating wise, I want to make the transition from using one tool for every job to two tools (skid and ex) more effectively/ productively
Old 06-25-2012, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So many tools are available. So many variables.

I have a buddy that owns an excavating company. He has around 36 pieces of equipment. One thing he does not one a single one of - is an excavator. He says it's cheaper to rent one by the month rather than buy one because each job always requires a different size machine.

Same mentality could be said for building patios. So many equipment choices.

I always think about the grand scheme of staffing. If you buy a truck with air brakes will you find honest dependable hard working people that can drive it? If you use an excavator to dig for a patio will you always readily have an employee that can run it?

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would love to add a 550, a triaxle, a mini skid, a CTL, and a mini ex but only in my dreams!

so what kind of equipment DOES he own?? and why? the same argument could be made about skid steer sizes
Old 06-26-2012, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seems most of the folks partaking in this discussion are small owner operators (such as myself).

When you're small, it's important to diversify as much as possible. The last two weeks of July and 1st (2) weeks of August are usually slow periods in the residential hardscape industry, as this is peak vacation time. Limiting yourself to a compact walk behind loader will hinder you from taking on other jobs to fill in for the slow periods.

If you excavate with a certain machine - will you always be able to load the truck direct from the work site? Of all the jobs we do annually - I think we may ever only have 2 to 3 jobs where we could actually get the truck near the worksite. We do not drive trucks in the client's yards. I've never been a fan of that concept. Heck, its seldom that even if we wanted to, that we'd even be able to get the truck into the backyard. It's either no access, too tight, too steep, or too muddy.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

yea i frequently find myself driving the skid in the yard and either
A. using it to haul out and in material to the truck or street
or
B. load 3 wheelbarrows til we're done excavating then bringing it to the street to do the same thing with base matl.

the worst thing about patios? they're in the damn back yard!!! people only see the mess and commotion and not the beautiful finished product
Old 06-26-2012, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

See, Tom works for a company that has multiple pieces of equipment. Whatever the scenario, they're equipped to do the work efficiently.

I'm pricing a patio now, an there is a steep hill into the back yard. No one is getting a truck back there. So that rules out an excavator. It's too far to walk a mini skid steer back and forth. This patio is under a deck - excavator ruled out again, the boom will rip the deck down. A walk behind skid steer would be perfect, but it's too small to get the spoils from point a to point b in a timely manner. You have to really look at the overall picture when you buy your first machine.
Posted via Mobile Device