Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Was looking at an orchard a few weeks ago that we are setting bees at...they had a spray head at each tree. After seeing that I am now thinking about doing this...on the established trees run a 8 or 10' spray head about 4-5' from the truck, this will cover the root zone. On the younger trees I will do the same thing except do the hunter drip retrofit kit. When they get larger just swap out for a spray nozzle. Any thoughts on this? It certainly would be a less expensive/labor intensive vs having to put 2 bubblers per tree. Also, it would eliminate issues related to having a bubbler so close to the truck as the tree gets larger.
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There's only two ways to do it. Turf or weeds should never be allowed close to the trunk; compost should be spread out in a ring to the mature drip zone. Mulitiple drip (Netafim) in rings will work well, as will a "four poster" set of spray heads, set as to not hit the bark.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.hunterindustries.com/irri...atering-system
Anyone used these? Cost?
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
There's only two ways to do it. Turf or weeds should never be allowed close to the trunk; compost should be spread out in a ring to the mature drip zone. Mulitiple drip (Netafim) in rings will work well, as will a "four poster" set of spray heads, set as to not hit the bark.
The compost/ mulch idea sounds good, except that when we did it we got a lot of earwigs. Two heads, one on either side of the trunk in the row with 270 deg. patterns, some overlapping but missing the trunk is how I'd use spray heads.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
The compost/ mulch idea sounds good, except that when we did it we got a lot of earwigs. Two heads, one on either side of the trunk in the row with 270 deg. patterns, some overlapping but missing the trunk is how I'd use spray heads.
Please expound. I don't see how they would miss the tree????
Old 02-20-2013, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd still be leaning towards Netafim rings, that way the rings could be expanded out as the drip line increased. Buying compost and mulch can be dicey, depends on the supplier, but it's worth doing the research.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
I'd still be leaning towards Netafim rings, that way the rings could be expanded out as the drip line increased. Buying compost and mulch can be dicey, depends on the supplier, but it's worth doing the research.
The main deal killer is getting mulch for 25 trees, probably looking at around 5-6 trees per yard if that. Right now they each have a well around them that we keep weedeated and they are doing fine. To be honest I'm leaning towards a 8' spray head on the uphill side of each tree. Granted I would never install something like that on a customer's place, but this is my orchard, and anything beats hand watering. I need to keep the materials cost reasonable and not too labor intensive.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegyver View Post
Please expound. I don't see how they would miss the tree????
Old 02-20-2013, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Wrong, uneven application. Plus, as the trunk expanded, the heads would have to be moved outward.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you know another way the suggested 270 degree nozzles would have been placed, let us know.