Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-21-2012, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

IPM for turf care

How do you define it?

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 05-21-2012, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
How do you define it?
I Pay Materials

IMHO IPM doesn't work or isn't worth it on Warm Season quality Fine turf. I use BMP or Best Management Practices. I am not saying IPM doesn't work on utility turf used for erosion control or ROW. But it sure doesn't work on Fine Turf

What is the Difference between IPM & BMP?? IPM you wait until you have a dead yard from Brown patch before you treat. BMP you pre treat preventive before you have Brown Patch.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.Ē John Wayne.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

IPM= using what I need when I need to use in order to meet the customers expectations, whether it is preventatively or curatively. Preferably with the least dangerous and most specific product/method I can use to get the job done

OR taken from the CT pesticide license renewal form that I am filling out:

"Integrated Pest Management (IPM) is the use of all available pest control techniques including judicious use of pesticides, when warranted, to maintain a pest population at or below acceptable level, while decreasing the unnecessary use of pesticides"

Do I pass? what is your definition....????
Old 05-21-2012, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hokie, there's a BIG difference in the two definitions you posted ....
Old 05-21-2012, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

From the 2000 Rutgers Landscape IPM Manual;

IPM is an environmentally responsible and effective approach to landscape maintenance. It is a common sense approach that reduces the absolute reliance on synthetic, chemical pesticides as a sole method of controlling pests. A combinations of strategies is used to predict, prevent and manage landscape insects and diseases. These strategies are proactive, not reactions to the presence of a pest. IPM programs result in effective landscape pest control with diminished economic, health and environmental risks.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 05-21-2012, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like both the Rutgers and CT definitions. Rutgers covers the I part (remember, IPM stands for Integrated Pest Management) with its uses of different pest control strategies and its emphasis on proactive management, not reactive management. I also like how the CT definition include the judicious use of conventional pesticides. Often, it seems that conventional methods are overlooked in IPM.

I think IPM in practice is a matter of degree. Most of us are probably practicing it to some degree right now. If you spot spray weeds in a lawn instead of blanket spray the lawn, you're practicing IPM! Some may go farther and apply PRE herbicides only where they've seen weeds before. Others may preventively treat for grubs only where they've been a problem before. Others may encourage their customers to establish a different grass species or cultivar in order to get away from some problems. Some guys may even formulate a different fert and pest program for each and every lawn they treat (at least, I've been told that on lawnsite

I think the basics of IPM are that we don't have to blanket treat every lawn at every service visit. I think most of us agree.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you guys have a set tolerance level for pests? Do you discuss and then tailor what amount of pests your customer's are willing to put up with? Out here in Oregon you have mandatory "start with the safest and least harmful" products first. Then work you way up. To me that can make things worse and required even more spraying when a single app with "harder" products can do the job and stop the problem early on. We can't cosmetically spray on schools anymore. I predict vast playing fields of clover and broadleafs with the occasional grass plant in the future. IPM is a good idea and as said BMP is even better.