Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-21-2012, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Laying Red Bark Down

A customer of mines wanted me to refill a garden bed of there's with red bark. She had it done 3 years ago and all the red bark is gone and the garden bed has grass in it cause it grew up threw the plastic barrier they put down.

My question is should I put another layer of the landscaping plastic to keep da grass from growing through again before I kay down the red bark?

Or should I just cut the grass down real short, spray chemicals to kill all the grass and put the red bark on top without the plastic barrier?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2012, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Red mulch....ewwwww

Landscape fabric is a waste of time and money unless you're laying it under rock/pea pebbles.

3-4" of mulch will block out weeds much better.

Kill the weeds with Glyphosate first. Let them die, then scalp them down, Then apply mulch.

Don't forget to cut an edge on the landscape bed too to keep the mulch of of the grass and the grass out of the mulch.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Member

That's the method I use with pine straw. I was just wondering if red bark would be different because I have no experience laying it down before. And I have never heard of Glyphosate. Is that a brand or chemical?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2012, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo2199 View Post
That's the method I use with pine straw. I was just wondering if red bark would be different because I have no experience laying it down before. And I have never heard of Glyphosate. Is that a brand or chemical?
Posted via Mobile Device
Glyphosate aka Round up
Old 05-21-2012, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you've never heard of Glyphosate something tells me you're not licensed to use it. I hate landscape fabric and especially hate black plastic but it may be your best option in this case. Oh, forgot to mention, I hate red mulch too, lol.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
If you've never heard of Glyphosate something tells me you're not licensed to use it. I hate landscape fabric and especially hate black plastic but it may be your best option in this case. Oh, forgot to mention, I hate red mulch too, lol.
I was thinking the same thing about the license. However, I try to stay out of that.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I use a professional product through my dealer I bought my Exmark from.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2012, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Member

im in the process of laying the same thing down....except i have an "IVY" problem....but i think i took care of it....what i am going to do is lay newspaper down about 2 layers worth then the red mulch on top of that ...which should suffocate the weeds but still allow the ground to breath especially around the lillies and hostas. then alittle further out im going to go to cardboard ...which if you think about it....it will decompose over time and put nutrients back into the ground and make it more fertile!....i call it "REDNECK WEED BARRIER"!

my 2 cents though!
Old 06-13-2012, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I never heard of that but it sounds like a good idea. So why are you only putting cardboard down in only one section and not the whole area?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo2199 View Post
I never heard of that but it sounds like a good idea. So why are you only putting cardboard down in only one section and not the whole area?
Posted via Mobile Device
what im doing is laying a double layer of old newspapers down in the main part since they have a "Gutter" issue so the plants wont drown and when i get down a little further past the issue part then ill lay cardboard down there which is what i have to do ...i dont have enough newspaper to do the whole thing or i would have stuck with it....so ill lay newspaper down in the issue area and cardboard beyond the issue area. which i got till the 28th of this month to get it done and in b/w doing farm chores and doc appts. and what not....i have plenty of time....even though the big man here wanted it done yesterday!