Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-29-2012, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Old English Style Landscaping HELP

I recently looked at a job where the customer has a very old and very large brick home. They told me that they want OLD ENGLISH STYLE landscaping. Does anyone have any pictures or a list of plants commonly used in this style of landscaping?
Old 05-29-2012, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

English Boxwoods?
Old 05-29-2012, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They are looking for formal English gardens. You should let someone who knows what they're doing tackle this job.
61" Wright zk
ASV SR 70
Takeuchi 135
Kubota 7610 40" rotadarion
20' enclosed 10k lawncare trailer
18' aluminum 12k equipment trailer
35hp Giant Vac leaf loader
Old 05-30-2012, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just google old english garden and look images there u will see the look of it, if by looking at the pictures you recognize the plants and think you can achieve the same result I'd say go for it if you don't I suggest to hire someone to do the design. We can give you a list of many plants but the final result is about the interpratation and feel.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I have done some research online and I get the feel of the style. The only problem I see is she "thinks" she wants this style but the style does not match what she needs for function. Hiring a designer is not really an option where I am. There are no independent designers around.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The best thing to do is to let the customer know that "English Garden" means different things to different people and shee needs to explain which is the style she is referring to.
Most people think of what is also called "cottage garden" when you say English Garden. Others think of pastoral landscapes like those by Capability Brown that are large alterred pieces of land to create a natural looking park-like estate. Then there are gardens that went on in the Victorian era.
Throw the ball back in her court to find out what she is looking for so you can move in the right direction.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Look up this Lady. GERTRUDE JEKYLL She's from the 1800's and is a famous English Garden creator.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The "Old English Period" was far earlier than the 19th century. My guess is that she probably means Victorian. Why don't you ask instead of guessing?
Old 06-01-2012, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input guys. I did talk to the homeowner and she admitted that she has no idea what she wants. Someone just told her that it would look nice back there and she relayed the message to me. It ends up she just wants me to design it how i think it would look the best. Best of luck to everyone and try not to get to burned out haha.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Just keep asking questions until you are both on the same page. I had client that for an entire winter of design held fast to the idea that she wanted an old english or cottage garden. Yet every time i tried to design one she was unhappy turns out she wanted a specimen garden with walkways throughout. Suddenly it went from a medium sized hedge enclosed space to a 3 acre park style with over 40k in odd plants.

The nursery owner had an entire semi dropped off and she spent a week picking and choosing. He took the leftovers back and everyone was happy.