Register free!

Old 05-22-2012, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Please Help me get rid of these weeds!

I have a corral that has a lot of weeds (including poison hemlock, buffalobur (the ground is covered in this), milkweed, pigweed, ragwort, cocklebur, and more). The weeds have choked out all the grass. I will be bringing my horses home the first of June and have been trying to kill off all the weeds, as some are poisonous to horses. The corral is 30' x 40'. Two weeks ago I applied Weed-B-Gon. It had not rained in about 2 weeks, and it has not rained since. The temperature when I applied it was 76 degrees. The Weed-B-Gon made no difference at all. Yesterday I applied Roundup Grass and Weed Killer. The temperature was 74 degrees, we had not had rain in about 4 weeks, and have not had any rain since the application. There is still no difference in any of the weeds. I'm just wasting my money and it's adding up quickly! I can't find anything stronger at Lowe's, Home Depot, or Walmart. I've been told to use diesel to kill it all off, but I don't want to use diesel as I have cats that go through the corral to the barn and I will also be putting my horses in it. I'd also like to eventually plant grass back in it. Can someone tell me what to buy to quickly kill this stuff off and where to buy it? Thanks!
Old 05-22-2012, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like the lack of rain is your problem. When you have no rain plants don't grow. When plants arent growing vigorously, they don't translocate herbicides very well at all. Also, make sure you are applying the recommended rate of the product you are using. I would either water the area for a few days or just wait for some good rain then do it after.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2012, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, I'll try watering an area of it before applying the roundup again and see if that helps.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

The roundup will take 7-10 days to work at those temps - if you used roundup you bought at lowes or walmart it will not be real strong. Buy some 41% Big and Pronto at Tractor Supply and follow the label instructions. use a 10% solution and your weeds will be gone.