Register free!

Old 05-27-2012, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Post some pictures of your maintained lawns greendoc...we want to see them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2012, 02:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

$80? is that for a spin grind only? I know of one shop here that does a spin, relief and fine backlap for $125. He does take up to a week or so to get it done. There are many other shops that cost about the same, but it is a spin grind only. Mower is in and out in about 1 day.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-27-2012, 03:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

3 day turnaround. Relief grind. Ask diamond, he couldn't believe it either...I sent pictures.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2012, 05:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What mower do you have? I know the Tru-Cut mowers use either a 3/4 or 11/16 socket to turn the reel. McLane needs a 1/2" hollow shaft adapter. I actually made a hollow shaft adapter out of pipe fittings and some bolts. Power to turn the reels is provided by a 1/2" reversible drill.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
What mower do you have? I know the Tru-Cut mowers use either a 3/4 or 11/16 socket to turn the reel. McLane needs a 1/2" hollow shaft adapter. I actually made a hollow shaft adapter out of pipe fittings and some bolts. Power to turn the reels is provided by a 1/2" reversible drill.
I have a 30" Legacy which is just like a Trimmer brand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2012, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Anything taller than 1.5" on warm seaon grass is too high! looks good diamond.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hahaha, UNLESS it's floratam. Thanks Chris.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2012, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Nice. That picture says a lot. I know Florida is the low baller's paradise. But, do you know any low ballers running a reel on their lawns? I get the shocked looks from transplants when I tell them what it normally costs to have their lawn mowed. Big difference between the fine cut of a reel and shredding a 1/4 acre lawn with a rotary.

A long time ago, I heavily modified my 21" rotary to cut bermuda and zoysia with a semi acceptable finish. The four wheels were removed and the mower rode on 3" rollers. The blade was sharpened on an oilstone every other cut. This was just for my own lawn. Someone in the business would have to have as many blades as they had stops that day and sharpen each one before re using them. In that context, a reel is not that bad. Recently, I found that a 1/2" band file is the best tool for re cutting the relief on reel blades without having to put the mower on a $10,000 machine. If there is a relief angle on the reel, you are able to backlap and run the mower with slight contact between the blades. Let someone grind off all the relief and you have a mower that must be set for zero contact, as well as not being self sharpening.
There are a few areas here(super wealthy) that you will find sports turf highly maintained and practically flawless looking. The problem is that empire is being marketed as the "homeowner zoysia" that you can use a rotary on. While I think empire looks pretty good cut with a sharp rotary, it's not he same as a reel. Also, you get people maintaining it at 4". People just don't understand how much it costs to properlly maintain an entire landscape. I saw this company install around 10-15K of celebration Bermuda that they run their huge hustler ztr on and weedeat a lot of areas because a lot of the turf is on hills. The result is a lot of scalping. The customer doesn't know any better and the company can keep the maintenance bc the price isn't outrageous to maintain. I just shake my head and move on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2012, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, and that Sylvester in the first pic was done by a "professional ISA certified" tree company here. I'll take a close up and you'll see how crappy the cuts they made near the trunk are. But, you see this company doing work everywhere just bc people see their trucks. Their work on palms and hardwoods flat out sucks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2012, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmower View Post
That's a nice looking lawn. I have a couple of questions though. I have a client who just installed Empire Zoysia a few weeks back and I've been cutting it at 3-1/4", is this too high? Also, they've developed one or two brown areas and the install company is telling the client it's from me leaving clippings on the lawn, I don't run a mulching blade, is this possible or are they just trying to pass the buck?
Possibly the irrigation system is not sufficiently watering these spots? Just because "some" water is hitting the area does not mean it is enough. Check for proper "head to head" design. I see this all the time.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Oh, and that Sylvester in the first pic was done by a "professional ISA certified" tree company here. I'll take a close up and you'll see how crappy the cuts they made near the trunk are. But, you see this company doing work everywhere just bc people see their trucks. Their work on palms and hardwoods flat out sucks.
Posted via Mobile Device
The client would scream if a tree company left that much trash and stubs on the palms. Reason why prices are higher here is that a fast job does not pass.