Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-23-2012, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Question for homeowner

I don't usually post in this forum much but I wanted to get some feedback from homeowners.

How do you feel about your landscaper telling you that you did something stupid with your landscape that will be a problem in the future?

It's fairly common to have customers do things that I know will create a maintenance nightmare down the road...they plant things where they just don't belong, block off access to certain areas of their lawn, cut corners, use sub-standard materials etc. I usually just bite my tongue and don't say anything about it...what's done is done and it's their lawn.

Here's the current situation: I have a customer that has a small looping sidewalk off their driveway that leads into their main sidewalk, but its off the side and really just for ornamental purposes. The area contained within it was nothing but weeds and they had asked me about planting grass in it last year. I told them that it was really more suited to putting some plants in. They said that sounds good, we'll have you do that next year. So last week I go there to mow and they had installed a beautiful Laceleaf Japanese Maple in it. Well....the problem is that they put it in a corner so that it's practically hanging over the sidewalk on all but one side now and they buried it way too deep. It's going to be encroaching on the sidewalk in no time (if it survives) and there's no way this bed is going to look balanced with it there off in one corner...it's clearly in the wrong spot and installed improperly. Don't people understand that plants grow?!? Should I say anything to them? Hold my tongue unless they ask what i think? If they ask, I'm going to tell them what I think...just not sure if I should approach them about it.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If it were me (but not necessarily the best one to ask), I'd be happy to find out about it, BEFORE the tree took root.
It sounds like they still have time to fix things.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Always start with a postive. I'd say, that's a beautiful Japanese Maple and then let them know they grow quickly and it'll be hard to transplant. Maybe suggest another plant that would work in that spot.

I would be thrilled if someone told me before I lost the tree.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I would appreciate getting advice about the tree, particularly if I asked you to work on that area. You have far more experience with trees than most homeowners and they'll recognize that.

Just avoid the first part of what you really want to say ("That was really dumb to put this tree in that spot.") Just tell them what will happen and how it can be fixed, and leave it at that. I'd bet there will be some "I told you so" bickering between the owners after you give advice, and you don't want to be seen taking sides - might risk your contract!
Old 05-23-2012, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Defiantly say something. Now is the time to move the tree before summer hits and it takes root. I think they would be happy to know.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Stihl BG55 handheld blower
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 05-23-2012, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OK, that's for the replies. I'm mention it next time I mow. If they were able to plant it once it shouldn't be a problem for them to do it again. I'll try to remember to snap a picture to post here so you can see what I'm talking about.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Member

I know you got all the answers you were looking for, but I just wanted to add my two cents for future reference. If I did something dumb with my landscape and it was still fixable, I would be upset if you were my landscaper and you DIDN'T say something if I later found out that you recognized the mistake but bit your tongue. Of course as previously stated, try not to critize as much as possible. If they don't appreciate that you're trying to save their tree then they really are idiots. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2012, 02:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the additional input. I'm trying to ignore the fact that they told me they would have me do any landscaping work. I'm pretty used to customers picking my brain for ideas and then just doing it themselves, lol. I just want the place to look better, because at this point the place kind of looks like hell, to the point where I don't like even being seen there. It sat vacant for a year or 2 (forclosure) and was neglected, and the new owners are kind of slow to get it back in shape....they don't seem to have a very high standard for their yard. They keep saying they want to get it back in shape but when it comes to writing checks it just doesn't happen.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think I'm too late. I was in the neighborhood today and drove by and now they have about 6 other plants in there as well...dwarf boxwoods I think. Of course they're about 6 inches from the edge of the sidewalk...sigh.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Darrel....subtly is your friend here. Because it is one of your accounts you look at it from a different view than your customer. When you get the opportunity, compliment them on the effort they have put into "their" project and then comment that you wished "we" hadn't planted that maple so deep and that you are concerned for it's longetivity......takes it from being "their" project to now being "our" project......just another opinion