Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-23-2012, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Need Mower Help

Hello Everyone. Love that I stumbled upon this forum as I have grown my grass from a dirt field to the lovely greenery that it is now. I have approx 1/3 acre of lawn or 12,500 sq ft and currently use a 21" push mower to cut the lawn. 50% of the time I leave the clippings to better help fertilize my lawn.

The reason I am posting is because I am growing tired of the 3-4 hours it takes to cut my lawn and I am looking for a walk behind mower with a 36" deck. I have done some research but now that I have looked on this forum I feel as if my research was for not. My budget is $1500-$2500. I have a mixed grass consisting of Fescue, Bermuda and Ryegrass. I like to keep my lawn approx 2-3 inches during the spring and fall and approx 3-3.5 inches during the summer. There's only one small 15-20 degree hill that I am not worried about.

Ideally when I buy a product I look at the cheapest, the most expensive and the model in the middle. I like to purchase a product one model better than the one in the middle.

I thank you for taking your time in helping me with this decision and for your expertise.

Miguel-
Old 05-24-2012, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Ariens 34 vs. Toro Timemaster 30 vs Snapper RER HiVac 28

OK So I have narrowed it down to these three mowers for my yard. What has been everyone's experience with each of these in terms of cut, stripping, mulching and maintenance? Ariens 34 vs. Toro Timemaster 30 vs Snapper RER HiVac 28"
Old 05-24-2012, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish I could help. Didn't want you to think no one was reading your post. Seems the commercial lawn care guys, this site were saying something not so good about the Toro. But I didn't follow that thread. I'll check into your concerns when I make it home.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here you go,

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...+Timemaster+30

The Snapper RER HiVac 28 is an old style mower that mows a good looking lawn. I know some that had them for over 20 years using them today.

Are you talking about the Ariens Zoom 34?

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/outdoor...er-148314.html

They get some good reviews on Home Depot. That would be faster than the other 2.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

No it was the Ariens WAW 34" mower. So I took the Toro off the list and am left with The Ariens WAW vs. the Snapper 28" RER Hi-Vac.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Seem like a decent homeowner mower. Looking at this video it seem to be a load to handle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRnDLfLzCeM

Reviews Here
Old 05-24-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The snapper is the best mower by far. But that 28" cut width is aggravating. I think the biggest one you can get is 30". But if those are your pick's, get the snapper.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, so If i increased my budget to the next level, what would be in my best interest to get? I am ideally looking for Snapper quality but wider cut. I prefer a walk behind but not am opposed to a riding mower. Again thanks again for your input and consideration. I am sure the commercial guys are tired of these threads but I had to ask!!
Old 05-24-2012, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When my Dad needed a new rider, my preference was a snapper 30" RER. But that narrow mowing width was a deal breaker. Snapper does make a wider cutting tractor - http://www.snapper.com/ - I would give them a try. I went with the snapper LT-125 - 24HP, 46" deck, hydrostatic drive, pressurized oil system. Had it for 1 year, no problem's so far. 1950.00 + tax.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Member

So I am deciding on either a Bob Cat SW 36" vs. Ferris 32/36". Both are entry level commercial walk-behinds and exactly what I need to cut my grass. The Toro had bad reviews, as did the Ariens. The Snapper, although reliable, didn't leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling every time I looked at it. That and for only 7 more inches of cut i might as well spend a little more $$ and get what I really want and not regret it in the end. From the reviews I take it these two are popular models, no?