Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-24-2012, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What to do?

Well I was mowing one of my commercial account today and realized they had someone mulch all there pine trees. There is probably like 100 trees total with the rings a good 5ft across. I estimated that it would probably take 20-25 yards of mulch to do all these trees. Here is my question. I have been servicing this account since 2007 and they have been loyal to me. I do 5 treatments, 2 shrub trimmings mowing and all there snow removal in the winter. Well this spring when it was time to redo the contract for another couple years they tell me that the budget is tight and we need to cut back some. So they cut out all but two treatments and have me mowing this one area once a month. I was cool with that because I figure they have been loyal and been a great customer through the years. So here is my question and maybe you guys ave some experience with situations like this. It really bothered me that they did not call and ask if I was interested in this job. I mean me personally if I would have cut the lawn guy back on income if I found some extra money or needed something done I would call him to see if he was interested in doing the work and at the very least get a bid from him. I was thinking about calling and telling them any other work they would like done that I would like the chance to bid on. I know in the past they have used another landscape install company to do various projects like plant all those trees. Maybe I should just let it go but for some reason it bothers me because if you do not have the money to pay me to mow the entire property every week how do you have the money to mulch all those trees. The going rate for installing mulch around me is $65-75 a yard so that figures to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500. That would almost pay for the entire season of mowing the area I am doing once a month this season. They have not mulched these trees since put in probably 4 years ago and they are not even visible to anyone so to me it is kind of pointless.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They may have had a couple employees do it. I saw a veterinary office the other day and there were 4-5 employees standing around shoveling mulch off a trailer. I know they were employees because I've seen them inside before.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2012, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Member

You don't know their side of the story, don't get too excited over it.
They are willing to pay you to work, do the work and get paid for it. I am sure there are other things you could do around there too that others do, it's just part of it.
Maybe they hired a landscaper that has a relationship with their company. Maybe it was someone hard up for cash and they were helping them find some work. Maybe it was a non-profit group trying to raise money. Regardless, it really doesn't matter what the reason is.

I own a property management firm. I have a ton of business relationships in town. I try to spread my business around. I have lots of jobs that I could hire 6 different companies to do, but I can only hire 1, so I pick one. Not a big deal.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know I just need to let it go. For some reason it just rubbed me wrong today. I know the landscape company they use for install stuff is no threat to me as they dont do any maintenance at all. I am geared more for maintenance but do install every once in a while if one come my way that I can make good money on. Around me there are two companies that have been in business for years and years and they get most of the new installs. They both do crappy work and I would never hire them but for some reason people keep hiring them. I am really starting to think it is less about the work you do and more about the price you charge to landscape someones new house. I think that way they can brag well I paid XXXX for my landscaping how much did you pay. All about keeping up with the Jones'! I did a landscape install last season and I swear I bid it so high because I didnt really have the time to do it and the people did not even blink a eye so I made some fat cash for a simple three day project.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well I don't know your situation but after so many years of it the day came when I caught an attitude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn S View Post
You don't know their side of the story, don't get too excited over it.
They are willing to pay you to work, do the work and get paid for it.
Yup, that's my attitude.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If budget is tight at your home, who do you put to work? Family
18x8 flat bed w/custom removable gates and racks
2006 Great Dane Surfer 19/52
2002 eXmark Viking 36 hydro
2008 Hustler FasTrak Mini 17/36
eXmark Metro 26
2011 Honda HRC216HXA
Shindaiwa T242
Echo SRM-230