Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-08-2012, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
Was supposed to be dry today, went and sprayed the weeds; major downpour early this afternoon, wasted 8 gallons. Next opportunity I'll hit the weeds with Knockout, at least it'll kill em before it rains.

Wettest I can remember in a long time.
Back in the 60's as a child in florida they said there would be an ice age and Florida would be under water.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It was like a south American monsoon today at palm beach. Lots of lightning too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Enough already, radar looks like it could rain all night.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rain vs Drought??

Wish we could get some of what you've got!! Hasn't rained 1/4 inch here in my locale in the past 2 months. Started 3-4 weeks early and now have just about completely stopped mowing. Burn bans have been in place for our county for about a month now. Mow most places every 3-4 weeks 'cause there just isn't any growth. When we do get rain, it will be at least 2 weeks before we get enough growth to mow again. Just doing some small jobs to fill in where possible.

If I had my choice, I think more rain than less is better!! Three years ago we had one of the wettest seasons on record, but the past 2 have been dryer than normal and this one may be the worst one yet. Seems like it's just feast or famine anymore!

2009 Nissan Titan pullling a 18 ft PJ Trailer
2011 Kubota ZD326S (60") - 26HP Kubota Diesel
2010 Bob-Cat FastCat Pro 48" w/Accelerator (20HP Kawa)
Non-commercial 21" walk-behind
Blowers (Stihl BG85/Husqvarna 170BT)
Trimmers (Stihl KM110 & FS90, Kawa Multi-Tool)
Chainsaws (Stihl MS180 & MS362 w/20 & 24" bars)
& misc hand tools & equipment
Old 06-09-2012, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

lawns are turning chloric with all the N washed out of them; new hedge plantings we installed are close to drowning. The caladium and Ficus are thriving.

Got attacked by a swarm of bees nesting in a water meter box, I mean WT... in a water meter box? Suckers should have drowned! Had another customer mad; we didn't weed whack around the base of his ficus because of the nest with 1,000's of bees that took up residence there. When I asked him to join me and I would show him the nest... he grumbled and said to get it the next time. We sent him a written notice; the bees must be removed.

I'm seeing more honey bees and hostile hermit crabs (as big as coconut crabs burrowing 3-4" diameter tunnels) than ever before.

Good news is the weatherman is forecasting late morning and afternoon thunderstorms

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Old 06-09-2012, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
lawns are turning chloric with all the N washed out of them; new hedge plantings we installed are close to drowning. The caladium and Ficus are thriving.

Got attacked by a swarm of bees nesting in a water meter box, I mean WT... in a water meter box? Suckers should have drowned! Had another customer mad; we didn't weed whack around the base of his ficus because of the nest with 1,000's of bees that took up residence there. When I asked him to join me and I would show him the nest... he grumbled and said to get it the next time. We sent him a written notice; the bees must be removed.

I'm seeing more honey bees and hostile hermit crabs (as big as coconut crabs burrowing 3-4" diameter tunnels) than ever before.

Good news is the weatherman is forecasting late morning and afternoon thunderstorms
WOW,

too much rain is hard on business. While I sympathize with those without rain, there is always irrigation or should be. There is nothing that can be done about too much rain.

Maybe you should start harvesting the hermet crabs and marketing them on the internet to pet stores.

I know bees are a pain but they are vital to AG and they are on the decline elsewhere.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Get your butt out now it's bright, sunny, and HUMID
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2012, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

im in yall neck of the woods on a 4 day vacation to destin, florida for my daughter's b day. it didnt rain at all at the beach yesterday but messed us up today.
echo srm 266 trimmer
echo srm 2400 trimmer
redmax ebz 6500 blower
echo bp 250 blower
john deere stick edger
2 crapsman push mowers
20 inch key start lawnboy self propelled
weedeater gas hedgetrimmer

5 years in business
Old 06-10-2012, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Get your butt out now it's bright, sunny, and HUMID
Posted via Mobile Device
Did go out caught up on pretty much all my weed control; rain in the late afternoon.

Last year and the year before we were complaining about drought, go figure. My mentor told me you'll know the rapture is close when Lawn Turds' and farmers stop complaining about the weather.

Let's see, maintenance and repair the last four weeks:

Weed eater; replaced.
Weed eater; repaired
Edger; repaired
Edger; salvaged
Edger; replaced
4 Ignition coils
1 Rectifier regulator
1 PTO switch
1 Spindle
2 Trailer tires (225-75 R15)
Truck Hitch (don't ask)
Trailer Jack (don't ask)
F350; glow plug ignition harness
F350; brakes and rear drums
Ram 3500; AC

Got the best roadside diesel mechanic in the world, he'll travel out to your truck if you are within 35 or 40 miles of Lion Country Safari, bless his heart.

When it rains it pours.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Old 06-10-2012, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is swamp humid out there. We gave up changing shirts and just slogged through drenched.
Posted via Mobile Device