Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2012, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
Did go out caught up on pretty much all my weed control; rain in the late afternoon.

Last year and the year before we were complaining about drought, go figure. My mentor told me you'll know the rapture is close when Lawn Turds' and farmers stop complaining about the weather.

Let's see, maintenance and repair the last four weeks:

Weed eater; replaced.
Weed eater; repaired
Edger; repaired
Edger; salvaged
Edger; replaced
4 Ignition coils
1 Rectifier regulator
1 PTO switch
1 Spindle
2 Trailer tires (225-75 R15)
Truck Hitch (don't ask)
Trailer Jack (don't ask)
F350; glow plug ignition harness
F350; brakes and rear drums
Ram 3500; AC

Got the best roadside diesel mechanic in the world, he'll travel out to your truck if you are within 35 or 40 miles of Lion Country Safari, bless his heart.

When it rains it pours.
Yea I got a lot done yesterday. It was humid as heck, BUT, workable. All I know is that this winter will be great. I think with this wet summer, we will have a cold winter....I really can't get that upset with the rain. It could be like Texas last year with everything dying. That would suck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2012, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Never happy about the weather right? Couple of days without rain and the irrigation calls are rolling in. One of our sub-divisions had their sprinkler pump stolen... no kidding, peeled back the locked cover and ripped the dang thing right out, plumbing wiring...

Got this from the "off topic" forum;

Attached Images

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Old 06-19-2012, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have had one of the Dry and Hottest spring since 1998 when we had many Wild fires. While we have not had the wild fires, we have had WATER PROBLEM. Most of the wells in my area are now salt water intruded.

I got a call today to look at a Brand new 419 Bermuda sod job turning brown and dying. At first it had me puzzled. Then I noticed the citrus trees dying also, but the Hibiscus and other shrubs were OK. Citrus doesn't do well in Hard or salty water. I had my EC Meter with me and tested the well water. Bermuda is Not salt torrent and dies at less than 700 PPM of salt. The well water read 650 PPM.

Problem is as little rain fall that has leached into the ground this year the Ground water is becoming very salty. St Augustine can take up to 1300 PPM but will not turn green over a 1,000 PPM . St A will die at 1600 PPM of salt. Normally salt is not an issue this time of year because it is our traditional Rainy Season. Dry weather, New sod and a salt water wells don't mix.

At the cost of City water the only recommendation I could make was to re-drill a well to a deeper depth of over 200 ft to try and get fresher water. Well driller will only guarantee to hit water and not the quality of that water. Therefore it is a big gamble having an other well drilled. BTW my old nursery had a 300 ft well and now has 1000 PPM of salt. However Ornamental plants can normally take a higher salt contend in the water. I am glad I am out of the nursery business now.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

lmao at the garfield cartoon!Its coming!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

We have had one of the Dry and Hottest spring since 1998 when we had many Wild fires. While we have not had the wild fires, we have had WATER PROBLEM. Most of the wells in my area are now salt water intruded.

I got a call today to look at a Brand new 419 Bermuda sod job turning brown and dying. At first it had me puzzled. Then I noticed the citrus trees dying also, but the Hibiscus and other shrubs were OK. Citrus doesn't do well in Hard or salty water. I had my EC Meter with me and tested the well water. Bermuda is Not salt torrent and dies at less than 700 PPM of salt. The well water read 650 PPM.

Problem is as little rain fall that has leached into the ground this year the Ground water is becoming very salty. St Augustine can take up to 1300 PPM but will not turn green over a 1,000 PPM . St A will die at 1600 PPM of salt. Normally salt is not an issue this time of year because it is our traditional Rainy Season. Dry weather, New sod and a salt water wells don't mix.

At the cost of City water the only recommendation I could make was to re-drill a well to a deeper depth of over 200 ft to try and get fresher water. Well driller will only guarantee to hit water and not the quality of that water. Therefore it is a big gamble having an other well drilled. BTW my old nursery had a 300 ft well and now has 1000 PPM of salt. However Ornamental plants can normally take a higher salt contend in the water. I am glad I am out of the nursery business now.

Good grief, salt water intrusion that far inland!

I have wells here @60-70ft not producing brackish water (yet), rusty but not brakish.

Closer to the intercoastal, we're experiencing some salt water intrusion. Intercoastal & Ocean communities are no longer allowed to drill or use their wells.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

All the sprinklers are working... rain forecast for the next 5 days.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
Good grief, salt water intrusion that far inland!

I have wells here @60-70ft not producing brackish water (yet), rusty but not brakish.

Closer to the intercoastal, we're experiencing some salt water intrusion. Intercoastal & Ocean communities are no longer allowed to drill or use their wells.

How far inland do you think I am??? HELLO!!!! I am on a salt water canal.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

I guess Jvan hasn't seen your boat pics.

The guys are ahead for the week and flying since that front seems to coming this way.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

How the F would I know

Old 06-20-2012, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Glad we cut ahead the last couple of days. Had to call a 1/2 rain day. Trimming will have to wait.