Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-24-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Picked up a new Ferris IS3100Z today

I have owned a lot of mowers over the last 17 years including a couple Exmarks, Toro's, 3 Wright Standers, 2 Dixie Choppers a Hustler Super Z and a slew of other walk behinds. The new Ferris IS3100 is by far the best mower I have ever used. I never demoed one because my decision to buy got rushed a little when one Dixie Chopper went down last night. I made the deal last night and picked up the new Ferris this morning. I opted for the Vanguard Big Block 30hp, and no suspension seat.....yet. First job out was 6.5 acres of very washboard flat lawn. I got a little behind with the Chopper break down and other crap so it had been 10 days between mowings. The Ferris tore through the rough spots with ease. I currently use double blades on the Dixie's and noticed the cut and velocity of dishcharge was a little lacking to the Chopper's. When the grass was normal length the Ferris ate it up. The ICD deck stripes exceptionally well. Before taking the mower out I moved the stops to allow top speed and this mower is fast. I slowed a little over the roughest stuff but normally I kept it pegged and it rode extremely well. I'm convinced that I will never buy a new mower that doesn't have suspension. The Vanguard runs well but I did noticed some odd things with this mower and engine setup. I'm not sure they are bad but very different from the Dixie Chopper. The Vanguard idles a little rough, surges a little until under load and puffs a black shot of smoke at startup. I'm used to the Kohler EFI on the Dixie so I'm sure this is normal. The Vanguard will start easily without a choke after it's been ran some. The mower under load will pull the RPM's down when accelerating from a stop or when climbing a hill. I understand all mowers do but I have to slow considerably to keep the RPM's up and cutting good. The dixie rarely fluctuated and it's only 25 horsepower. I can see the large pumps, wheel motors and weight being the problem, if you can really call it a problem. The Vanguard is thirsty compared to the old Kohler EFI but well within reason. I'm sure this will get better with some hours too. The Kohler has 1730 hours and is well used.

Long winded post to basically get to, this is the best mower I have ever owned. Comfortable, fast, cuts well and looks nice. If anyone is on the fence about suspension or a new mower I can say with certainty that it is not a gimmick. It works and works well. I knocked off serious time on some of my jobs and this was the first day out with a new mower. It can only get better from here. Very impressed!

Few action shots. Stripes very well.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats on the new mower! I got to sit on one before I picked up my hydrocut. Lol Looks really nice! Stripes look great too. Enjoy!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2012, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I hate you.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Me or him?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2012, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Congrats, these are one of my fav's hands down. One hell of a machine
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter
- Custom FIMCO boomless spray rig

1989 John Deer 1070 Compact Tractor - 40hp/4WD
- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

1993 John Deere Gator 6x4
- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- hydraulic dump bed w/storage and bed cover
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 05-24-2012, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

LOL, him. I want that mower but can't do anything about it for at least a year or two.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

"orangemower", your time will come. I use my mowers for a long time and rarely buy a new mower. The Dixie this replaced was 10 years old. I love a new mower but from a business standpoint I like to get my money's worth and a whole lot more.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

nice mower. why would you need a suspension seat on it? that would be like double suspension. is it necessary? lol
Old 05-24-2012, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to the club.....

Great choice, i chose the same last year. Once the motor get broken in you'll see those issue disappear.

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 05-24-2012, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I decided to try it without the suspension seat first and save the $180. More suspension can't hurt. I don't really want the added height is all. It's really nice without it so with it has to be better.