Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-29-2012, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Member

So I Jumped In Head First

First of all let the say what a great site this is. Its an overwhelming abundance of info. Ive been coming here off and on for 5 years now. I work as a Firefighter as my full time job, and currently work in a clinic on my off days. Im to the point Im tired of working for someone, and stuck inside all day. Ive decided its time to jump into something I;ve been eyeing for 5 years. SO… I thought about it, discussed it with some other people that already have established accounts. First advice I got from someone was wait until you have 6-8 established accounts before taking the plunge to buy an expensive mower. Yes cutting grass with a push mower will suck for a bit, but it will pay off. I posted an ad on craigslist over a week ago in 4 different categories.. No response yet. This is compared with a co - worker who started his lawn service last July (middle of the season) and got 10 yards in 2 weeks. I figured it was too late to start now but decided to give it a try. I have business cards on the way along with car magnets. I know word of mouth is the best advertising but its limited when you have no accounts yet. Still waiting on that first phone call.. Any other ideas other than door hangers and maybe a news paper ad? Those are my next steps. Im hoping the door magnets will pay off somewhat. My goal is to have those 6-8 accounts by the end of the summer.. 10 would be AWSOME! One idea a co worker said this am was to get some signs made, and put them up in zero lot line neighborhoods. Take it easy on the new fella.. We all have to get started somewhere!
Old 05-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Sponsor

Sounds like you are on the right track.. If you are looking into door hangers check out A'Deas Printing. We have some great specials right now and even if you are just wanting to try them out we have a special for 1,000 for $119 that would be full color one side with our band-it and stick-it product. We have a smaller door hanger that has a perforated business card, with that, you can door hanger and still leave your business card for the customer as well, the business cards would have the stick-it on the back so the customer could keep your card on the fridge or where ever (like a magnet). The cool thing about our products is that they are something different.. catches the attention of possible customers. Another option you could think about is doing direct mail post cards.. We can help you locate a certain area(s) and you can pick and choose certain routes to target and you can send out a introductory post card, letting the neighborhood you are there and available.. We have a couple specials on those as well.. I'd be glad to talk to you about any advertising that you'd be interested in doing. My name is Glenda. You can give me a call or shoot me an email at anytime, my phone number is 866-778-4254 or my email address is glenda@adeasprinting.com
Old 05-29-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

UPDATE.... Posted business card to my personal FB page.. Immediately got a call about an ex coworkers parents rental house... They are putting on the market to sell. May be short term but its a start. and HOPEFULLY will land more!
Old 05-30-2012, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

First of all, good luck in your business!!!

Secondly, you have a very similar philosophy as I have but there is more to be learned by both of us so let's work together. "Knowledge is KEY"

Thirdly, contact me at sandsforce665@yahoo.com or bladerunnersllc@charter.net and we will help each other in our chosen professions. I have some advertising and website design info to share with you.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
First of all, good luck in your business!!!

Secondly, you have a very similar philosophy as I have but there is more to be learned by both of us so let's work together. "Knowledge is KEY"

Thirdly, contact me at sandsforce665@yahoo.com or bladerunnersllc@charter.net and we will help each other in our chosen professions. I have some advertising and website design info to share with you.
Hey blade i shot ya an email a few days ago to the sandsforce email.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2012, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought my mower the end march and started mowing in April of this year. I listed on craigslist heavily for the first month or so with no response at all. I also put up something on facebook and got one bi weekly and one as needed account for the first two months. The beginning of my third month I cut a new weekly account, which was referred by my biweekly. They claim that they have alot of work for me, and can refer a decent amount of work to me. I figure my fourth month will be profit. With 2 accounts its not a ton of profit but it was minimal investment, and if the weekly account has as much work as they claim, I'll be kept pretty busy.

I'm in no rush, just letting it run it's course and having fun with it. My ultimate goal is to grow it into something full time.

Good luck to ya, and have fun with it.
cub cadet 21" WB
cub cadet 4 stroke trimmer
roto-tiller attachment
brush cutter attachment
stihl hand held blower
mccullah chain saw
various handtools
Old 06-14-2012, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Question.. Where do I turn to to see if a name is taken for a business name.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAYLORFFP View Post
Question.. Where do I turn to to see if a name is taken for a business name.
http://tnbear.tn.gov/ecommerce/default.aspx

-
Old 06-14-2012, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks! That helped tons!