Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-27-2012, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
Do you have any idea if the marbane hold up better or as well as the Oregon fusion blades.

I would say they hold up just as well as the fusion blades. I would buy which ever is cheaper. I am a cheapskate and I just use the standard oem copys.

These are the blades I buy. $59 for two complete sets shipped and they always show up 1 to 2 days later from that seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-HI-LIFT-BL...item254d337a47
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 05-27-2012, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Nice machine mate! Hope it works well for you!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am curious as to how well it holds a hill because the Super z does that great in my book. The Gravely sits higher and that seems like that would make it not as good on hills? and also I wonder how much more traction the rear 26's give you?

It looks great but I did notice on the pictures that the XR7 seems to have a tougher baffel setup?
Old 05-27-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Tougher baffle setup? I dont know about tougher but the x-factor deck is a superior cutting deck compared to the hustler.

P.S. I remember you realslowww. You sure did like those cub tanks................
2004 Gravely 34Z
Old 05-27-2012, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
I am curious as to how well it holds a hill because the Super z does that great in my book. The Gravely sits higher and that seems like that would make it not as good on hills? and also I wonder how much more traction the rear 26's give you?

It looks great but I did notice on the pictures that the XR7 seems to have a tougher baffel setup?
26's? The 460 is running 24x11.50x12. While my SZs are running 24x12x12s. It will be interesting and later in the week I'll take pics of a property I hang my ZTRs on and give you a good update.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Tougher baffle setup? I dont know about tougher but the x-factor deck is a superior cutting deck compared to the hustler.

P.S. I remember you realslowww. You sure did like those cub tanks................
Have you ever looked at the way the XR7 baffels are braced in back? or owned one. The dealer where I bought mine who sold Dixie,Snapper,Toro,Hustler told me it was by far the toughest deck he sold and the way I use my XR7's surprises even me because I have never had to weld it.

I use to love to rib Envy about the Tank because although I have never owned one but do own 2 of their hydo walk behinds a 52 and a 48 I find Cub products to be mediocre at best.

The Gravely in the pictures looks like it has 26's because the tires look bigger than the Supers.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

The baffles on the 400 series are 7 guage steel like the rest of the deck. I wouldnt worry about them. My 452 does great on hills. I will be posting some pics in my review thread tonight of some of the hills I do as well as a 30 hour detailed update on my machine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2012, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Have you ever looked at the way the XR7 baffels are braced in back? or owned one. The dealer where I bought mine who sold Dixie,Snapper,Toro,Hustler told me it was by far the toughest deck he sold and the way I use my XR7's surprises even me because I have never had to weld it.

I use to love to rib Envy about the Tank because although I have never owned one but do own 2 of their hydo walk behinds a 52 and a 48 I find Cub products to be mediocre at best.

The Gravely in the pictures looks like it has 26's because the tires look bigger than the Supers.
The XR7 bracing is definitely hands above any deck I've seen. I haven't seen another deck as heavily built yet. IMO it's even overkill, with bracing not only under the deck but on top, and coming from me that means a lot. The X Factor is as thick, has the same big edge guard, and has more bracing than a whole lot of big name brands out there, but not as much as the XR7. I feel like it's well built and plenty strong but time will tell. I've hit things with my XR7 at more than 15 mph and other than anti-scalp wheels, some bruises, and a loss of pride it has only scratched the paint. The down side is that it's heavy, especially with all the band aid baffles and the optional 30 lb striper kit. I float the deck a lot with my leg due to the flex forks and even it wears me out. My wife almost can't run it. The X Factor is refreshing in this area. Feels lite.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
The XR7 bracing is definitely hands above any deck I've seen. I haven't seen another deck as heavily built yet. IMO it's even overkill, with bracing not only under the deck but on top, and coming from me that means a lot. The X Factor is as thick, has the same big edge guard, and has more bracing than a whole lot of big name brands out there, but not as much as the XR7. I feel like it's well built and plenty strong but time will tell. I've hit things with my XR7 at more than 15 mph and other than anti-scalp wheels, some bruises, and a loss of pride it has only scratched the paint. The down side is that it's heavy, especially with all the band aid baffles and the optional 30 lb striper kit. I float the deck a lot with my leg due to the flex forks and even it wears me out. My wife almost can't run it. The X Factor is refreshing in this area. Feels lite.
Yaa I have read alot of complaints on the old XR7 but for me the deck is perfect. I add a leg extension to the deck lift that changes the ratio and makes it lift alot easier.

I have run over things at speed that would have really whacked the baffels out good on any other mower that I have seen but the XR7 just takes it on the chin. Oh yaa and a CUB Tank deck is a joke in toughness compared to a XR7.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

Nah I have never owned or used a hustler. They are non existent in my area. I have only ever seen one or two ever over the years. I gauge my opinion on them from this site. It is very rare when I read something good about the cut quality of hustler in northern turf. And I constantly read about hydro problems. The deck could be built bomb proof but if it doesn't leave a clean crisp smooth finish cut I don't want it. Actually in 20 years of doing this work I have never once bent a deck or needed to weld a deck to repair it so it is not something that ever crosses my mind when looking at buying a new mower.
2004 Gravely 34Z