Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-25-2012, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Home Owner with hill - Hydro/Belt/Transmission Question

I have several questions in regards to walk behind mowers for my lawn. I have a half and acre which is mostly flat except for a portion of my back yard. That area is fairly steep. It averages 20 degrees and is approximately 125' left to right and 40' in length. I currently use a 2 year old Arien's WAW-34. I mow the hill straight up and then turn around and go right back down. I have to put the mower in reverse on the way down so that it does not take off on me. I think this has been hurting my mower. I have noticed lately that my mower sometimes will not go into reverse or forward after mowing my hill. I'm assuming walking straight down the hill in reverse is damaging my mower. So I am looking into getting a new mower that is more appropriate for my lawn and will save me time. I know a half acre is not much compared to most of you on here but I am leaning towards a commercial mower for speed and durability. I have been reading about Hydro Mowers with Sulky's (stand on and ride attachment). I would be nice to zip through the level portions of my yard and then walk behind on the hill.

My main and serious question is do Hydro mowers have breaks or simply take off down the hill like my WAW-34 does? Its kind of scary running down the hill with a large mower.

What type of transmission should I look for?

Any suggestions on Manufacturer and make?

Thanks for reading.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Member

go hydro, theres more control going down or sidewards on a hill.talk to dealers in your area on what kind of mower to get.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

The gravely WAW34 uses a belt that provides some slipping to account for lower or faster speeds in forward and reverse. Basically when moving forward but holding it in reverse, you are wearing/rubbing that belt in the opposite direction and have wore it significantly. You might can adjust it, but at the same time, it was not intended to be used like that, even worse, what if it gave out while mowing that hill, could be trouble.

I use to have the gravely WAW34, it was a good mower. Now I have a 48in Toro Hydro walkbehind.....you need that....works great on hills whether going side to side or up and down.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I received two prices this morning. Which one would be better?

Wright stand on 32 mower sells for $5196.00
Wright walk behind 32 sells for 2949.00
Old 05-25-2012, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have never owned a Wright but have heard nothing but good things about them. As for the hydros I have an Exmark 48 TTHP and a very steep hill on part of my property. I can not use a sulky on this portion. If the grass is even remotely wet it will slide going up & down. Generally I try to cut side to side working up the hill. I have never owned a commercial belt driven but was told by many on here and elsewhere to get the hydros for the hill and I'm glad I did.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Member

This is my hill. Sorry for the snow, LOL.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2012, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of dealer support do you have in your area?
Old 05-25-2012, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I am located in Eastern Massachusetts so I would guess that I would have many dealers local.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Does anyone know the difference between single and dual hydro?
Old 05-25-2012, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

single hydro does not turn on its own, 1 hydro turns both wheels, you have to manually turn it, like the gravely waw34. Dual hydro has independent hydros for each wheel, making it a Zero turn...you want dual for sure