Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-29-2012, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Need New ZTR

Help please. I am currently mowing my yard and my in-law's yard (1 acre each). I also own a 3 acre vacant lot that I have to maintain. That breaks out to 5 acres of mowing at least once a a week. I currently use a 48" John Deere LX277 (Non-AWS) tractor to maintain this area. It takes me almost 4 hours to mow the 3 acres and 1.5 hours for each 1 acre lot with the houses on them (including trimming). I really need something sturdy and dependable to "cut" down the mowing time. I am a stickler for lawn looks too, no uneven or scalping decks and I like the "striped" look. I have looked at Scag - Freedom Z (quoted $6500 B&S, $7300 Kholer) & Tiger Cat (no quote) and Simplicity Citation (quoted $7700). Looking at 61" models. Any information that you all can provide, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Prices seem high to me. I piked up a 52" Scag V-ride last fall for $7000 at 0% for two years. The Citation seems hight too. My dealer had a nice Ferris, better than Citation, for under 7G. Look at Gravely and Husq if dealers are near you. I think these are the best bang for th buck, new. Snapper is a slimmed-down verion of the Ferris - very good! I would stick to Gravely, Husq, Ferris, and Snapper. Scag if good deal.

2012 F150FX Scab
2011 Scag 52" Vride
(3) Craftsman 42" riders
(1) John Deer 318 not working
(1) older Agrifab tow leaf sucker-upper, works good
(1) 2011 Echo Long shaft hedge trimmer
(1) 07' Honda single stage snow blower
(1) 2010 18" Echo chainsaw
(1) 2012 Husqvarna 326LS trimmer
(1) 2011 Ariens Pro 32" snow thrower
Old 05-30-2012, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I, too, put a big premium on mowing time. Demo'd Scag Freedom Z a few years ago for my 4 acre lot; ended up going with Scag Turf Tiger (not sure if Wildcat or Cheetah were around then). Freedom Z is slower, and not quite enough power on slopes. Sure, I overbought for a single property, but am able to get through it in under 2 hrs in good weather (riding time only). If an extra hour a week means you sometimes won't get the job done, it may be worth an upgrade. LCOs service the neighbors, so the bar is high for me to keep my lawn looking good!

Downside to Scag Turf Tiger: its heavy, and rear wheel tread is not very forgiving on soft area turns. Not to mention cost, but you get what you pay for.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seems to me what you want to be careful with if you are only mowing an acre, is how much trimmng around beds and walkways you are going to do, and the ease of turning without ripping up the grass. I owned gravely, jd, and having a scag delivered on saturday. You may want to look at the exmark because they have a plate on the discharge that flips down with a foot pedal. Makes it easier to mow lawns with beds , walkways etc. When I was shopping for mowers, I was amazed at the price difference between dealers. Drive the mowers, and shop
Old 05-30-2012, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whatever you do, make sure you demo the machine first on your property. Do not feel funny about asking the dealers to bring you out a demo. Try several different machines out. I made the mistake of not doing a demo on my property with my first machine and it turned out bad. That machine went back. I learned real fast and had a Scag TT, John Deere MOD and Iron 2, Hustler and Exmark brought out for demos. I ended up with the Exmark. The dealer that brought out the Turf Tiger thought the Exmark would work well for me and brought it out also. Turns out he was right. And he had Scag rep with him at the time.

Now should the best time to demo because you are probably cutting under the heaviest conditions.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the Gravely 400s and Hustler Super Zs but these are getting higher in cost.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Check this out, John Deere Z600 series Zero Turn: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=380146

There are some striping pics included too.

Residential & Commercial Mowing