Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-25-2012, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Riding or Walk Behind for 1/2 - 1.5 acre.

Hello All!

I recently moved and have a much larger lawn. I currently need to mow 1/2 acre but I'm in the process of enlarging it this summer. By the end of the summer it will be approximately 1.25-1.5 acres. 1/2 acre is doable with a walk behind but I'm not ambitious enough to mow 1.5 acres with that method. Should I just get the riding mower now or buy the walk behind and then get the riding mower next year?

Thanks.

I would also like to mention that the lawn is currently very bumpy and uneven with a couple small hills.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Its up to you, I mean depending on the property there are 1.5 acre places I have to do with a 48" and there are places I could do with a 72" or bigger. I would get what you want the first time. And depending on the walk behind you could knock it out pretty fast with a 54" or 60" deck and sulky. Unless you want both I dont see the point in getting a WB just to buy a rider next summer. Pick your flavor
Old 05-25-2012, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't thinking of getting a large walk behind. I was thinking more along the lines of the $300 21" or 22" variety. I guess the point would be I could get by with that for now and perhaps pick up an excellent deal on a riding mower at the end of the season.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What is your high end budget? And the next question is, what do you want? As Tri County said, do you want to ride or walk. Benefits with both machines and both serve a purpose. If you have bumpy terrain, most machines offer some kind of suspension along with a suspension seat. Ferris builds machines with independent shocks.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own