Register free!

Old 05-26-2012, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Alternative to Organic Fertilizer Products?

I see these new products where fertilizer & chemical rates can be reduced but can we not make our own and have same results? Seems a good compost tea with a LITTLE liquid nitrogen would do the same? Seems too all these products including tea would not be as effective over 90 degree temperatures.

My question to this forum is what additional ingredients should be added to be a substitute for the packaged products on the market.

I will start by mentioning Humic acid,Fish hydrolysate,kelp and maybe a 18-3-6 liquid fertilizer, a good compost base (I use earthworm castings that feed on cottonburr compost).
Old 05-27-2012, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Member

That mix will give pretty good results. I have been making and using something very similar. The newest products with sumagrow inside have specifically selected micros that would not come from the home made brew(no way to know for sure how many or what micro organisms you would get). With all the University testing of these new "no fertilizer " products it looks promising, especially if the claims of 50 to 75% less fertilizer needed are backed up on a broader level.

So to make a substitute of the sumagrow product would be VERY difficult. To make a substitute of all the other "Lazy Man" and aerifing solutions is not a problem at all. You seem to be off to a good start
Old 05-27-2012, 03:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Subscribed
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2012, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A missing ingredient that I see is 'food'... liquid fert makes me think of a protein shake, but is there 'meat and potatoes' provided for the microbes???...

Does the fungi that are produced, or cultivated, in these protein shakes, do anything for soil structure or is it a different kind of fungi that does that??

I would like to hear about a 'wholistic' approach, in which the soil is looked at as a whole, living organism , rather than treating symptoms of one little aspect at a time...
I don't use the term 'wholistic' as a new agey type religion, but rather as what the term used to mean...