Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 12-26-2002, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

2003 walkbehind

Since my question was overlooked in the "2003 model" thread I thought that I would make a new thread. This is in reference to the walkbihinds getting more power. Artman said they are prototyping them still. Since you are still prototyping does this mean that we will not likely see new engine options in the Spring in time for the new season? Thanks
2002 Exmark EPS 60"
Shindaiwa, Redmax and Stihl 2-cycle equipment
Old 12-26-2002, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Chariot

I think you might be wasting your breath (or typed words)

Hustler either isn't listening to anything we say or ask about walkbehinds or they just are'nt talking about anything new.

I've been running into a wall for about 6 months anytime I ask about new walkbehinds. To be fair It isn't just hustler, but exmark gravely and scag as well. Nowbody is listening.

What I want is a 48" hydro floating deck with 18 tires and more than 17 hp (19-23 hp) I can't even look at anything close around here. The hustler dealer I talked to just started to sell me a 44" fastrak ? ?

So if they have anything new coming out. I don't expect to see or hear anything about it until it's been in the field for a year or so and someone on this board has used one and can tell us.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hustler has shown real interest in my 23 kaw WB's. Originally, Huster felt too much modification was needed to fit the 20 to 25 Kaws to the WB. However, after I explained the conversion is a straight drop in, with a minimal change to the exhaust header, if we continue to let Hustler know we do want the increased power, you may see it for the "upcoming" season. Here's hoping.

Pete
Old 12-26-2002, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If they do anything about the engine option or not is up to them, obviously. I would just like to have an answer to my simple question: will we see new engine options in time to cut in the spring or not? Thanks
2002 Exmark EPS 60"
Old 12-26-2002, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulJ

What I want is a 48" hydro floating deck with 18 tires and more than 17 hp (19-23 hp)
Paul,

Let me tell ya, you want 20" tires, they're awesome. I've have them on my WB and "that's" what has allowed me to mow at over 9 mph, and still have the machine track well and not bounce. FWIW, I've been round and round with many companies, too, and they just are stuck in 1962.
However, I think Hustler may be really listening to what the customer has to say. They listened about their Z line and it's really taken off. FYI, the Hustler 48" is full floating, built like a tank and cuts super with no blowout. I've already put the 20" tires on it, AND Hustler already has these rims from their fasttrack. All they need to do is supply the tires, and drop on more power and they'll have want you are looking for. I know the owner monitors this forum, and I truly believe he will get the message.
Sadly, part of the problem is Hustler reps could be a little more opened minded and when confronted by guy's like you, me and Chariot, they think we're crazy. However, we're just ahead of everyone else Ya know, I let my rep demo my machine, and he was just amazed. He was going over giant tree roots and other stuff and the machine acted as if the ground was smooth......
Pete
Old 12-27-2002, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Pete, hopefully one of those owners will see my question and answer it, soon. It has been ten(10) days since I first asked this question in the other post. Atleast a responce telling me if nothing can be told at this time. I guess if this will not get me anywhere I will head back over and get another red mower to match the one that I already have.
2002 Exmark EPS 60"
Old 12-27-2002, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing can be told right now.

The product is in deveolpment, I can tell you we hope to have it for spring.
We are looking at many engines, and when the choices have been made we will inform everyone here at LS first.

Hope this helps
Pj
Old 12-27-2002, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for a responce, I look forward to the new models being released.
2002 Exmark EPS 60"
Old 12-27-2002, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mowerconsultant
Nothing can be told right now.

The product is in deveolpment, I can tell you we hope to have it for spring.
We are looking at many engines, and when the choices have been made we will inform everyone here at LS first.

Hope this helpsPj
Thanks PJ,
The trend we are starting to see is smaller lawns that have Chemlawn, lawn tech, Green lawns, and other fertilizer services. Because these people want a thick green lawn, we really need more power to run doubles, mulch, and/or double cut the lawns. And, even though we cut once a week, these lawns are so thick we need every bit of "overkill" power , to cut them. Also, to keep with the riders, the WB's need the extra power to mow at the higher speeds, 7, 8, and 9+ that the riders can do on "homeowner" lots.
Pete
Old 12-27-2002, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chariot
Hey Pete, hopefully one of those owners will see my question and answer it, soon. It has been ten(10) days since I first asked this question in the other post. Atleast a responce telling me if nothing can be told at this time. I guess if this will not get me anywhere I will head back over and get another red mower to match the one that I already have.
Chairiot,

As PJ mentioned, I think Hustler is really trying to listen to the customer and make changes in the WB's. I'm sure what makes it hard is Hustler is trying to "stay up with demand" on their Z riders, plus get the "Gatemaster" rolling AND change their WB's. Boy, they sure got a lot to do and not a lot of time....
Pete