Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-03-2012, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Filling back packs

Do any of you guys have an area set up at your yard or shop to fill small sprayers before you go out? I work out of my house and have been using the hose or the hose bib but I don't like handling pesticides next to the house. I'm thinking of providing a water connection on the outside of my shop/ storage building and I'm thinking about what to do on the ground below it. Gravel? Concrete? Containment?
Old 06-03-2012, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

fill with just water at the house, then mix when you get to the job. less chance of a spill while traveling. carry chem. in a locked boxed.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Use empty herbicide jugs with labels removed and jugs clearly marked "water" " do not drink".
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2012, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Use empty herbicide jugs with labels removed and jugs clearly marked "water" " do not drink".
Posted via Mobile Device
u

Except its illegal to reuse container by the label.... setting up for a fine
Old 06-03-2012, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
There is a very good reason for this being illegal. Please do not do this.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 06-03-2012, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

CGA,
I have to concur with the other simple responses of the empty container. It clearly states to not reuse empty containers. They must be triple rinsed, holes poked in the bottom and disposed of according to local authorities approval.
At my own house, In the country I use a few empty-triple rinsed containers to store nuts, bolt, nails,etc.
I have a friend.................real large competitor of a couple thousand properties they spray residentially. All his trucks reuse empty containers that is remarked with whatever his shop chief puts in them. He premixed product straight for diluting in the field to save trips to the shop of 10 miles back into the county. The State Inspector got him a month ago and sent all 10 of his business trucks back to the shop for fines.
I don't think the Arkansas fine is that excessive since I have kept my nose clean, but you can be assured that he will be on the radar now for more inspections. These boys will fine you for anything if they wish.

Just watch yourself and follow the directions because our licenses is too hard to obtain, maintain, and keep legally without some little infraction to take it away.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I understand it's illegal...please don't take my advice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2012, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its really a stupid law if you ask me...what do people do with rinsate? With reuse I have zero waste, any leftover chemical mic is used for non-selective mixes. I don't have much solution leftover...especially with permagreen...but I have been stuck with 25 gals of non-selective with no place to get rid of it without storing it in another skid.

I know I don't make the laws and I know I don't want to get fined...but I don't have to agree with them either!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2012, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

To answer your question, I have a 65 gallon nurse tank that is set in the back of my truck. Nothing goes in it but potable water. A water hose comes out of the bottom and as you lower the tailgate and lay the backpack on the ground, the water will fill the sprayer with gravity.
I don't let the water stand in the tank more than a week as our water will get slimey with sediment or hardness. You Know--A lifeless pond that goes fallow will start to stagnate and smell. So does water left in a cooler for a week or two.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah...cooler water gets nasty! A few drops of bleach may extend your water supply for a few days.
Posted via Mobile Device