Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-21-2012, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Acceptable method???

Was watching some guys work last week, they were doing a mortared flagstone walkway. They put down 3/4" gravel, then stone dust, then dry pack cement, then added Portland & sand. They stomped & tamped it down, then sprayed it w/ water... then laid a thin layer of wet cement over top. I've never seen this done before, is this an acceptable practice vice pouring concrete on a stone base base?
Old 05-21-2012, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbrze View Post
Was watching some guys work last week, they were doing a mortared flagstone walkway. They put down 3/4" gravel, then stone dust, then dry pack cement, then added Portland & sand. They stomped & tamped it down, then sprayed it w/ water... then laid a thin layer of wet cement over top. I've never seen this done before, is this an acceptable practice vice pouring concrete on a stone base base?

were they wearing cut off blue jeans, black AC/DC shirts, bandannas on their heads, and did they have scruffy beards?

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
were they wearing cut off blue jeans, black AC/DC shirts, bandannas on their heads, and did they have scruffy beards?

Wait, that wasn't you was it?
Old 05-26-2012, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbrze View Post
'gravel' is this general term used by the inexperienced to describe just about anything. Its the most ambiguous term. ima guess it was some kind of modified stone. I would like someone to tell me why this method is NOT acceptable like some have stated? The OP didnt describe the jointing material. Tucked with mortar - or dust, or polysand, or sand. So barring that jointing aspect... how is this method unacceptable.... do tell.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8inchBlock View Post
'gravel' is this general term used by the inexperienced to describe just about anything. Its the most ambiguous term. ima guess it was some kind of modified stone. I would like someone to tell me why this method is NOT acceptable like some have stated? The OP didnt describe the jointing material. Tucked with mortar - or dust, or polysand, or sand. So barring that jointing aspect... how is this method unacceptable.... do tell.
You can't just say "barring the jointing aspect" when the job performs as a whole. Rigid joints (hydrated portland based mortar) on a flexible substrate can only be justified by someone who embraces a "tailight warranty"........
Old 05-29-2012, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes169 View Post
You can't just say "barring the jointing aspect" when the job performs as a whole. Rigid joints (hydrated portland based mortar) on a flexible substrate can only be justified by someone who embraces a "tailight warranty"........
interesting. so by using a cementitious leveling agent over a flexible substrate that person is a hack? he didnt say what he was jointing it with so its irrelevant to question in point. we are talking about the base/leveling process. im still waiting to have it explained why it cant be done as described by the op.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree if somebody uses A rigid joint material over a flexible system that person has no experience doing this type of work, now going back to the base preparation it sound like this person is more of a mason than a hardscaper, for me it's not that it cant be done is that doing it that way would take so much more time I would have just poured a concrete pad, "faster and stronger" to set my stones on it they are trying to achieve the same result using that method but I don't think it would be the same at least for my area.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

with a decent crew, they should be able to have all that base in and start laying stone the same day. you would have to wait for your pad to we workable. i also dont think the masons were trying to accomplish a mortared patio with slicked joints. i think they were installing a dry flagstone patio using a cementitious leveling agent.

the moment the joints are grouted, the whole patio is junk obviously. i wouldnt assume any professional to do that but it does happen i guess.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post

it drives me cray that anyones not doing what icpi says must be wrong for all applications. the op described an observed flagstone installation and everyone wants to talk about 'stone dust' not being 'acceptable' and 'systems acting as one'. btw they wore def leppard shirts.