Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2000, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I AM KICKING MYSELF IN THE A** FOR NOT BUYING HYDRO WB\\\'S...MY WALKERS ARE STARTING TO LOSE TRACTION DUE TO THE CONSTANT WET WEATHER AND BELT DRIVE WB\\\'S ARE EVEN MORE FRUSTRATING, ANYONE HAVE ANY HINTS FOR MAKING LIFE A LITTLE EASIER WITH BELTS ON WET DAYS???
Old 08-13-2000, 07:10 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
With belt drives you need to cut the hay when the sun shines.

Thats why I work on Sat. and Sunday as needed.

That's a tough sell fireman if you have a "real" job also.

Today I worked a full 8 hours with travel time down the
school getting the fall sports fields ready for use on
Monday.
Old 08-13-2000, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd rather be a day or two behind from wet weather, than looking for work to do because of drought conditions.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 08-13-2000, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i tighten my belts enough that my mower handles pretty dam good when its wet.
Old 08-13-2000, 09:55 PM

I know what you mean with the weather fireman, it's horrible. Sparta New Jersey got 14.7" of rain yesturday. The grass is growing more than it did this spring.
Old 08-13-2000, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

We've found that after every job, take your blower and blow off the belts until they're completely dry. Takes a little time from your already busy schedule but it really seems to help, unless of course you're running that mower on a huge property.
Old 08-13-2000, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Hot as hell in central Texas, 100+ temps and no rain in months. Stage 2 water restrictions allow watering with sprinkler systems only one day a week, please send me some rain!
Old 08-13-2000, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

Wet is not the word!

We got 14 inches in sparta the other night (North jersey). I was going to finish a job but.....ya right. Can\'t even get there. All the roads are flooded out.

I attempted to drive there sat., but after sitting in a traffic jam for over 2 hours on rt. 15, the police came and closed the road. When they turned us around, had to drive my little s10 through a river 2 ft deep flowing over the high way. Felt the truck sliding from the current....Also, the bridge that they turned us around at, had water beginning to flow over the top of it. Now, that is the reason the road is closed.....the bridge is supposely gone.....

Luckily, they got no rain at all where my job was....whew. Had nightmares of getting there and seeing 800 sq ft of pavers all in a pile at the bottom of the yard. thank someone that didn\'t happen.

Now, sunday night, I am figuring how I am getting to my full time job tomorrow. Heard most roads are still closed, even rt. 80 in some spots!

To top things off, I have no water and no signs of it coming back.......the flood caused the reservoir, in sparta, to break open, and all the water to our town is now contaminated, or not even on........

Talk about wet, this year is ridiculous. Those global warming people can kiss my ass. This was the coolest july on record since 1923!

stay dry.....

steveair

[Edited by steveair on 08-14-2000 at 02:36 AM]
Old 08-13-2000, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Fireman, I've told someone else this somewhere in this forum and it will probably help you as well. Go to your automotive supply store and buy yourself a can of belt dressing.(about 3 bucks) When the belts are dry, squirt about a half inch is all of your belts on both the inner and outer(for idler) side. This will make your belts extremely tacky and extremely responsive. And HOLD ON!

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 08-13-2000, 11:38 PM

Better keep your stories straight

Hey Stone,, back this spring you told us all about how you won't work weekneds cuz you can make so much money at the strip with your drag bike. Whassamatter,, bike crap out on ya?