Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-28-2012, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Yet another ZTR advice post

Hello,

I have been reading all kinds of posts on this site regarding a ZTR. Unfortunately, you all have given me more ideas than eliminating them.

First off, I absolutely HATE mowing. I live a very active lifestyle and yard work isn't a part of it. I want to spend the least amount of time on the mower.

I am in the process of buying a new house with 2 acres. This house has a mostly flat yard. My current home only has .3 acres, but takes me almost an hour to mow with a 21" Toro. It has a 30 degree slope in the front yard. Even if I stay here for another 6 months, I want to get this yard done in 10 minutes. I am already "that guy" in the neighborhood. In the winter, I pull out the Kodiak ATV with plow and knock out my driveway in 5 minutes. I know a 48" ZTR is way overkill for my current yard. My budget is $6,000 out the door and I want to stick to a 48" fabricated deck.

After reading various posts here, I have come to the conclusion it may be best to stay away from EZT hydro-gear if possible. Reliability is more important than features. I don't want to be taking this thing back to the shop for work.

Here is a list of machines I am looking at:

1. Cub Cadet Z-Force S Commercial 48 (steering wheel - No one here seems to care for CC and I can't find ANY reviews on the net about this model)
2. Ferris IS500Z
3. Hustler Fastrak
4. Bad Boy ZT
5. Gravely ZT HD

I am really drawn to the Cub Cadet Z-Force S Commercial 48 because of the steering wheel as it supposedly makes it easier for others in the house to jump on and mow (I may be placing too much emphasis on the ease of use w/steering wheel vs. lap bars). This CC appears to have the same ZT-3100 Hydro-Gear as the ones on my list.

The same dealer that sells Cubs, sells Scag (I think Scag may be priced out of my budget range). This dealer is also the closest for me. But again, I hope to not be seeing him much, if at all, after the sale.

I know 2-5 are outstanding machines and would be happy with any of them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John
Old 05-28-2012, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1. Cub Cadet Z-Force S Commercial 48 (steering wheel - No one here seems to care for CC and I can't find ANY reviews on the net about this model)

There may be a reason for that. Cub seem to get a bad rap, like always in the shop.

2. Ferris IS500Z

A good mower that has a large following.

3. Hustler Fastrak

Another mower that has a large following.

4. Bad Boy ZT

I'm a Bad Boy guy. It's a fairly good mower. It's not going to do the 30 deg slope thou.

5. Gravely ZT HD

Another mower with a large following. Gravely seems to have made large strides to take their share of the market.

That 30 degree slope is going to be a problem with all ztr's. Not just the ones you have listed.

I've run a couple of Scaggs. They are nice. One of the better mowers made. Worth the money if you have some.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for the input. I am going to look at the Scag Freedom Z tomorrow. Looks like I have the option for a 26HP B&S or 20HP Kawasaki engine. I'll see if I can talk them down some on the Kawasaki engine.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you really dislike mowing so much perhaps you should look into hiring a service. 2 acres will be a big chunk of your time. A pro with a 12mph 60 or 72 inch deck wll make short work of it. Just a suggestion
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2012, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a Cub Cadet Enforcer 44. It has a 11 gauge welded steel deck with steel reinforcements around the bottom and where the blade spindles bolt up, 1.5"x2" steel tube frame. Suspension seat, 20 hp Kohler command commercial motor. Dual Hydro Gear ZT-2800 Chargedw/oil reservoir wheel motors. Striping wheels on the back of the deck. Cuts great runs great havent had any of the problems I was told I would have here on this board by alot of people. Would buy it again if I had it to do all over and do recommend it to others. Good luck with your choice. The cub S model you have listed will most likely have no problem with a 30 degree hill. It not like the ZTR's you have listed.