Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-28-2012, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

NOW My Cheetah is PERFECT!

For you guys that did some reading in a couple of my other threads I really only had one complaint about the Cheetah. When comparing the Cheetah to the Tiger side by side I could tell that the deck on the Cheetah was harder to raise with the pedal. Probably close to twice as hard. And it took effort that would get uncomfortable after a day of mowing and floating the deck like some of you pros have to do. To me...it just bothered me and would have been very difficult for the wife to use it when I'm not here.

In another thread I remember reading there was a poster that said that his shoe or boot would get caught between the deck lift pedal and the suspension platform. Well...I woke up this morning...made coffee...and proceeded to attack these two issues. Both pretty simple. First the "heaviness of the deck". This one was a pain in the a$$ because I am not sure what the shop would use to pull the springs off of the bolts...but I improvised.

Moved the bolts that the springs attach to to the lower hole which extended the spring by about an inch and changed the position of the lever and fulcrum principle. Did it on both sides and bam...deck lifting and lowering now feels exactly like the Tiger. Still plenty of weight to hold it down but much easier to raise.
Left Side

Right Side

As far as the foot getting wedged on the pedal I moved the pedal "rod" from the middle hole where it was when I purchased the mower to the first hole closest the operator and then adjusted the rod (turnbuckle) to compensate for how far forward and back the pedal travel was. Bam! No chance of getting your foot pinned by the pedal.

Deck up...

Deck down...

The left side spring was also rubbing on the frame. This bugged me when I first looked at the Cheetah. To me, the bolt was inserted from the wrong side. This pic is after I inserted the bolt from the inside and changed the angle of the spring. You can see the shiny spot on the spring where is used to rub on the frame. Now it is clear. Things that rub where they shouldn't cause wear, even minimal, but start things rusting.

And the rest are just pics of a "detailed" Cheetah. I haven't had a chance to wax it yet but will as soon as I have time.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is one of those undocumented adjustments. My Dixie has a similar spring but you just twist a nut up and down a length of threaded rod to adjust the deck spring tension.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Yea Richard, the spring bolt should have been mounted in the lower hole when they assembled it. Raising the deck was literally about twice as hard as on the Tiger. Wife could barely do it...and she's a tough one. I think I added a few pounds when I added the mulching kit also...so that didn't help the situation at all. And an adjustable spring would have been really nice also.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

it's probably just how your dealer set the mower up. i never noticed the deck being hard to lift when i sat on it at my dealer. they probably had it the the hole you put it in. i also never understood how you foot could get caught under the deck lift pedal. mine never were even close to it especially when the deck is lowered to the cutting height. i guess if you mow at 5" or something but i mow at 2". my legs are too short to reach that far anyways. i leave them flat on the floor. even with the seat all the way forward i can't put my feet on the sloped part of the floor pan. i think how you set the spring up is how it's supposed to be. i never really noticed if the spring was rubbing the frame or not when i looked at the cheetah at my dealer. if i ever buy one i will check it out for sure. thanks for the tip.

mower looks really good. i'm glad you got it setup right now man. you just never know what those dealers are gonna try to pull.

now if i could only get one of those cheetahs for myself.

Last edited by weeze; 04-28-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Come on guy man up that spring will now be pulling up an the deck when you are running 100mph and boucing all over the place. By the way get a bounch of the bolts that hold that deck up you will need them. When I get in rough ground it breaks teh bolts. And I aint running fast.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I really don't mow that fast with the mower so I don't see it bouncing around or breaking bolts. And seriously, it now feels about like a Turf Tiger. Not sure if Scag engineering slightly wrong but the effort to raise the deck really was more than it should have been. Still has plenty of weight to keep it down.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
it's probably just how your dealer set the mower up. i never noticed the deck being hard to lift when i sat on it at my dealer. they probably had it the the hole you put it in. i also never understood how you foot could get caught under the deck lift pedal. mine never were even close to it especially when the deck is lowered to the cutting height. i guess if you mow at 5" or something but i mow at 2". my legs are too short to reach that far anyways. i leave them flat on the floor. even with the seat all the way forward i can't put my feet on the sloped part of the floor pan. i think how you set the spring up is how it's supposed to be. i never really noticed if the spring was rubbing the frame or not when i looked at the cheetah at my dealer. if i ever buy one i will check it out for sure. thanks for the tip.

mower looks really good. i'm glad you got it setup right now man. you just never know what those dealers are gonna try to pull.

now if i could only get one of those cheetahs for myself.
Jason, you might be right about the dealer set up being in the wrong hole.

As far as your foot getting caught, after reading the other posters comments I went out and "tried". And it was possible to get part of your shoe wedged between the pedal and the front of the platform. Not at all easy but possible. I am fairly short also at 5' 8" but I can reach the front of the platform. With the pedal in the middle hole I also had a little trouble lifting the deck with the seat all the way forward. After moving it to the rear hole and adjusting the springs all is well now.

Only other issue I have with it is when mowing really uneven ground it will lift a front wheel fairly high and sometimes get a little scalping. I lowered the anti-scalp wheels on the front sides. The middle is already in the lowest position. Does anyone know if Scag sells blade spacers of different lengths? I noticed the ones on there are over an inch. Would like to move the blades up about a half inch to see if that helps the scalping.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One question I have is how does the cheetah hold on hills? I have an old exmark 60"and a 72" hustler that does ok.
PUSH MOWERS LAWN BOY AND TORO PROLINE
All STILH
ENCORE 8HP PUSH BLOWER
VERMEER 630B STUMP GRINDER
Old 05-17-2012, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Very Well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABBERS View Post
One question I have is how does the cheetah hold on hills? I have an old exmark 60"and a 72" hustler that does ok.
Mine hangs on better than anything I have ever been on! This weekend when I am mowing my property Ill take a picture to give you an idea...
61" Scag cheetah 31hp
36" John Deere walk behind
22" craftsman push mower
Sthil weedeaters
echo hedge trimmers
Sthil blowers BG-85, BR-600

Old 05-25-2012, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTAYLORLAWN View Post
Mine hangs on better than anything I have ever been on! This weekend when I am mowing my property Ill take a picture to give you an idea...

I was wondering how the cheetah did on the hills you have.
PUSH MOWERS LAWN BOY AND TORO PROLINE
All STILH
ENCORE 8HP PUSH BLOWER
VERMEER 630B STUMP GRINDER