Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-25-2011, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

securing mowers

What do you guys use to secure your mowers, im sick of messing with rachet straps. are the prolockers or fast straps any good?
Old 04-25-2011, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraN View Post
What do you guys use to secure your mowers, im sick of messing with rachet straps. are the prolockers or fast straps any good?
I have fastraps and they are AWESOME. No tugging, pulling, tying loose ends, looking for tie down points, ratchets rubbing the paint etc. Really convenient. You just have to stay with a fixed setup once installed or you gotta remove them and drill them in again.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraN View Post
I use a pro locker and its nice, a lot faster then ratchet straps. u pull the pin that holds the wheel, when you back out the pin usually clicks and slides in so when you drive back into it, its locked in. and your off.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I want to ask you fellas a question and I want your honest opinion and I will let you know why I asked. LOL

Are you guys strapping or securing your equipment down because the law saids you have to or because your are actually concerned for the safety of others.

Me????? Well its not that I don't care for others safety but I just wasnt willing to strap my stuff down after every job. We mow a lot of water towers in our area. 15-20 minuted jobs with a lot of them and can get around 30 of them done in a day.

From what Im understanding the state highway patrol had been pulling folks over giving them warnings that stuff needs to be tied down.

I bought an enclosed a few days ago. I refuse to let tieing this stuff down get into my mowing day. Safety this safety that. Mowers wont even have blades by the time all this safety crap is over. LOL
Old 04-27-2011, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

How do the pro lockers work if you have more than one mower on the trailer? It looks like they are too tall for you to drive a mower over??
Old 04-27-2011, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Member

is there any way you can take the pro locker of easy or is it perminent. would be nice, i usaully run with one mower in the middle of the trailer but every once in a while i put 2 on and have to park one of the mowers all the way up to the front.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

straps from all 4 corners. But we use 2 riders and a walk behind on an equipment trailer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 04-28-2011, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I got so much **** on my trailer, nothing moves.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Mowcrazy
I wanted to answer your question about straps for safety vs. for legality. I think you need to talk to people who have been in accidents with their rigs. (I do not mean to say that you have not because i do not know) I was in an accident which was not my fault a hand full of years back. Ever since I strap my equipment down very well for my safety and for the safety of others. I got on the freeway for a short bit, traffic came to a stop and was rear ended. I had a mower strapped down with several one inch straps and had wooden front on my trailer. The mower broke the straps and ended up passing my passenger side window (in the air, well off the ground). It ended up hitting the ground near the front quarter panel of my truck (denting it). The state troopers arrived and no tickets for me because it was "well secured" but not nearly enough to hold up in a crash.
Just a thought, that it is worth investing in proper securing devices. I was legal but it was not safe.
In my area though, we do no mow 30 per day so loading and unloading time is less of a concern.
Well, just my two cents.... her insurance paid for my trailer, and mower but I can not imagine if someone was hurt by me not strapping it down well enough.

I am also some what interested in prolockers and fast straps. At this point we just use two inch ratchet straps.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcrazy View Post

Are you guys strapping or securing your equipment down because the law saids you have to or because your are actually concerned for the safety of others.
A little bit of both and another reason. There is always that crazy person that pulls out in front of you and you need to slam on the brakes. The straps keep my mower from smashing all the other equipment on my trailer. Believe me, if you stop fast enough, it will happen.
30 years in business