Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-28-2012, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

long island landscapers!!

What kind.of fertilizers do you use? I used lesco 24-5-11 i think, not sure have not used it since last year,it did ok made it a nice green and grew well .This year i would like to try something better that will give a nice dark green.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2012, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Are you talking about strait fert or fert/ weed control?

You are no longer allowed to apply fertilizer with phosphorus (the middle number) on lawns around here. This year I applied lesco 18-0-3 on one of my famlies lawns who doesnt use weed control. Its a crappy lawn that is kinda rough so we dont try to make it too nice. Lesco also has better fert that is still zero phosphorus.

On my personal lawn I use lebanon turf proscape fertilizers with mesa that I buy from a different local supplier.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

First year I'm using Lesco, the Central Islip store. I'm following their recommendations for now.

Last year I fert a customers lawn. It did ok, not that green, some weeds. Early fall I tested PH and put down lime. When PH is off the grass can't use the nutirents in the soil that well.

This year the lawn is thicker, greener, reduced weeds. How much lime, lesco, or not using the old stuff I don't know. But it's nice to mow a lawn and you can tell what has been cut and needs to be cut as you mow for a change instead of guessing.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro36 View Post
Are you talking about strait fert or fert/ weed control?

You are no longer allowed to apply fertilizer with phosphorus (the middle number) on lawns around here. This year I applied lesco 18-0-3 on one of my famlies lawns who doesnt use weed control. Its a crappy lawn that is kinda rough so we dont try to make it too nice. Lesco also has better fert that is still zero phosphorus.

On my personal lawn I use lebanon turf proscape fertilizers with mesa that I buy from a different local supplier.
why no phosphorus? i know you cant put fertilizer down from nov 1st till april first
Old 05-28-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Phosphorus run off will cause algae blooms and that will upset ecosystem in streams, rivers, lakes, bays, etc.

Prevent run off by preventing Phos being applied when there is already enough Phos in the soil. Soil test must be done first to indicate that the soil is deficient for Phos.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yea but i dont live near any lakes or rivers ans what not in my town the run off water goes in to these big ass sumps , but I can see why
Old 05-29-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

It's been a pretty big push...Mailings, Distributors, even home stores...No "P"
Old 05-29-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
First year I'm using Lesco, the Central Islip store. I'm following their recommendations for now.

Last year I fert a customers lawn. It did ok, not that green, some weeds. Early fall I tested PH and put down lime. When PH is off the grass can't use the nutirents in the soil that well.

This year the lawn is thicker, greener, reduced weeds. How much lime, lesco, or not using the old stuff I don't know. But it's nice to mow a lawn and you can tell what has been cut and needs to be cut as you mow for a change instead of guessing.
Lesco in Central Islip is still open? All Pro buried Lesco in Oceanside and has Hicksville on the ropes.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBT View Post
Lesco in Central Islip is still open? All Pro buried Lesco in Oceanside and has Hicksville on the ropes.
i go to the one in hicksville , 110 new south road
Old 05-30-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joef450snowplow View Post
i go to the one in hicksville , 110 new south road
I used to be a Hicksville customer when Jeff and Mike worked there. You should check out "All Pro" in Copiague, they blow away Lesco.