Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-29-2012, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Work, Equipment, Truck, Toys, Etc

Changed some things up this year. Teamed up with a buddy who also owns a company and formed a partnership but things aren't working exactly how I'd like it (imagine that, but we'll see what happens). But we did a decent amount of work early this year, patio, couple installs, lots of cleans ups.

Here's some pics from the year so far.

Before pics from a 450 sq ft Borgert Heartland Antique Brown patio we installed.

Manged to be able to pull out this small slab with the track'd skid with minimal sledge hammering

This bed was completely removed

AND...

After

It was just grass on that left side, we installed a few yards of mulch and re-installed some of the hostas and rubarb the homeowner had. I did a plant and rock install on the front of this property last year and they loved that so they went with the patio this year and were extremely happy with it, as am I! The black dirt is the restoration work we did from the skid tearing it up, we had ruts through the backyard and front yard but filled them and seeded the crap out of it and told them to water, water, water, and we came back 2-3 weeks later to do fert and it absolutely blew up! Looked better than the rest of their lawn!

The close up shots were before we swept all the polymeric sand into the joints, believe me, we are not hacks.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely one of the best days in my life, when I took this off the lot

2001 Chevy 2500HD 8.1 Ext Cab Long Box
LT Interior, Red, Dual Exhaust, K&N Cold Air Intake, Airbags in Rear, 285s, 16" American Racing Rims. I now have 2006 Tow Mirrors on it as well.

After getting it home, I went to crank the torsions and happened to see airbags, the dealership didnt even know it had them!

It was owned by an older couple (the backseat looks as if it was never sat in), they had sirius professionally installed, I'll add pics later. They had the mounts for a truck camper also. As well as a 7 way connection in the bed. No gooseneck or 5th wheel holes, no rust, looks as if it was never driven in winter. I definitely don't want to put a plow on it later this year!

First load.

Sorry about the garbage quality, I have an Otterbox on my phone (HTC Evo 4G) and the screen over the camera lens is pretty much coated in crap.

Those visors are for sale for $30 and that hard top that came on it is also for sale - $200.

Here's the new mirrors.
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old

Old 05-29-2012, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Nice, I have friends that say that 8.1L pulls great, but loves the gas just as much.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2012, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Stripes after a dethatch & clean up

Dethatch
Their turf is rough as can be, that's as straight as the lines could be.

Saw this on Saturday.
I know that you have to start somewhere. But really, a roached walk behind on a snowmobile trailer, not strapped down I might add? Dude had a rotator light on his toolbox that was almost as big as the toolbox, also had plow mounts on what looked to be on a 400,000+ mile chevy half ton rust bucket. I'd be embarrassed to roll up to a property with a setup like that.
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old

Last edited by JContracting; 05-29-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgalawns View Post
Nice, I have friends that say that 8.1L pulls great, but loves the gas just as much.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh yeah, lots of power and torque. I got 8.75 on the last tank, thats with a little bit highway, mostly city and towing in the city. I'll probly be on the highway this wknd so we'll see what I'll get. It has 4:10s too btw. I have one buddy (biz partner) that has an 06 Cummins and had an 04 6.0 Chevy, he got 10 in the city, another buddy has an 03 6.0 Chevy and gets 8-9 (has 196k on it) and another buddy has an 06 6.0 Chevy and gets 9-10 with it. So for the extra power I have, getting 1 mpg worse is worth it.
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old

Old 05-29-2012, 04:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
Stripes after a dethatch & clean up

Dethatch
Their turf is rough as can be, that's as straight as the lines could be.

Saw this on Saturday.
I know that you have to start somewhere. But really, a roached walk behind on a snowmobile trailer, not strapped down I might add? Dude had a rotator light on his toolbox that was almost as big as the toolbox, also had plow mounts on what looked to be on a 400,000+ mile chevy half ton rust bucket. I'd be embarrassed to roll up to a property with a setup like that.
First of all, Nice truck! I love that body style. Second of all, you're right, you have to start somewhere. It's not our position to judge others no matter what. You have no Idea what this man's circumstances in life are! I have a good buddy of mine who just started up his own outfit about and hour south of me. He is absolutely the hardest worker I've ever met and/or seen in my entire life. He could work circles around me and I'm sure he could work circles around you. He is great at what he does, and he is does well at engineering up some real good ideas to fix different problems.

He is only 23 yrs old and he uses his grandparents 1992 chevy half-ton that has 235k miles on it and the bed is rusting through. He doesn't even have a trailer yet, he is working on saving up enough dough. He helps his parents out financially at times and he is always watching out for his younger brothers. His mowers are all exmark walk behinds, (36''metro, 60''TT, and just got a 2006 52'' TT). He works with me a few day out of the week. MY POINT IS, he has built up to what he has by searching for good deals, trading for labor on equipment and literally starting from nothing. He didn't have much help from his family financially.

May i recommend that you not judge other people, ever. The guy in your picture may be doing everything he can to feed his family. All-though his equipment isn't as nice as yours, he is still making an effort unlike many Americans who've given up and have decided to let Uncle Sam take care of them.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCityLawnCareLLC View Post
First of all, Nice truck! I love that body style. Second of all, you're right, you have to start somewhere. It's not our position to judge others no matter what. You have no Idea what this man's circumstances in life are! I have a good buddy of mine who just started up his own outfit about and hour south of me. He is absolutely the hardest worker I've ever met and/or seen in my entire life. He could work circles around me and I'm sure he could work circles around you. He is great at what he does, and he is does well at engineering up some real good ideas to fix different problems.

He is only 23 yrs old and he uses his grandparents 1992 chevy half-ton that has 235k miles on it and the bed is rusting through. He doesn't even have a trailer yet, he is working on saving up enough dough. He helps his parents out financially at times and he is always watching out for his younger brothers. His mowers are all exmark walk behinds, (36''metro, 60''TT, and just got a 2006 52'' TT). He works with me a few day out of the week. MY POINT IS, he has built up to what he has by searching for good deals, trading for labor on equipment and literally starting from nothing. He didn't have much help from his family financially.

May i recommend that you not judge other people, ever. The guy in your picture may be doing everything he can to feed his family. All-though his equipment isn't as nice as yours, he is still making an effort unlike many Americans who've given up and have decided to let Uncle Sam take care of them.
Yeah, you do have a point, I shouldn't judge as harsh as I do, to say the least I am extremely judgemental and it's something I'm working on. I just don't like seeing rusted out trucks that are lawn/landscape companies as it brings the image of the industry down when I'm trying my hardest to have a professional setup.

Here's an update. Completely ended the partnership, took my name off the company and we unfortunately ended our friendship. Definitely learned my lesson, it sucks but it's something I'll have to get past and keep pressing forward with my own business and I can do things all my way without having anyone else tell me how to do it. Thankfully, not too much was invested financially as we didn't purchase anything equipment wise.

Small landscape rehabilitation.
Before pics, I'll have some afters when I finish it up tomorrow. Was waiting on locates for a tree to be planted as the gas, phone, & electric connections to the house are right by where this tree goes.

Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old

Old 05-30-2012, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

To continue my post with what I was saying about starting out as it wouldn't let me edit after the post has been live for 10 min...

Last year when I started I used my dad's half ton Chevy & his echo weed whip & he bought my Husky backpack blower and I paid him back from it. I bought my walk behind from an online auction and it was certainly not in the condition the picture showed so I got screwed but w/e I ate it and fixed it up and got it going. I didn't really make much money last year until I landed the rock & plant install that landed me the patio this year and everything snowballed from there and business for me is now booming, word of mouth is finally working.
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old

Old 06-01-2012, 05:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice looking truck
Old 07-18-2012, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I never did get any after pics of that landscape redo but the client was certainly happy. Black mulch installed, removed all the plants/weeds and transplanted the lillies back into the bed and arranged them nicely. As well as installed a Pink Diamond Hydrangea in place of the tree that was leaning.

Now that things slowed down, I [unfortunately] have time to be on lawnsite (as well as contacting property managers to obtain comm accts).

Attached are the finished pics from the patio from this spring. Some are repeats but I used lawnsite's uploader. Sealed it with a high gloss seal and the client loves it! They watered, watered, & watered the seed we laid down from the skid tearing up (installed black dirt obviously then seeded) and it came in just as thick, if not thicker than the rest of their yard. I don't mow their place but I definitely wish I did. They don't have an irrigation system and their lawn is more lush than some of my lazy & cheap clients that have irri systems.
Attached Images

Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old