Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Buffalo Storm

Heres some pics from the epic buffalo snow we just got. I was in the heart of it. first pic was all good and dandy. got the plows on and excited to get out for the first time. That changed quick. About 6 hours in to our first night out trucks were getting stuck, couldnt see 2 feet in front of you driving. I ended up going into a ditch and walking to my shop where I was stuck about 12 hours before walking home. Was stuck home for the night. Towns couldn't keep up and stopped plowing roads. Loaders came in to clear them, had one drag my truck out. My shovel guys couldn't do anything, they got stranded at one of my commercial places. Stayed in the dump truck til they ran out of fuel. I was able to contact the board president and they spend the night in his house. people were stranded everywhere. Unfortunately and last I checked, 13 people died during this storm. Some stuck in cars, some had cardiac arrest from shoveling, some crushed behind loaders etc. Building collapsed all over. The guy I team up with had his shop collapse. More pics coming.
Attached Images

Last edited by HPSInc; Yesterday at 08:36 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Called in whatever equipment possible. Had a couple farmers bring out two Kabota tractors. One open cab and one enclosed cab. These dudes were a god sent. They drove them from the "country" practically to come help. Opening up roadways took an entire day.
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

called in a highloader from Rochester. Anybody will equipment who could make it was headed to buffalo last week. This guy cleared my dads house, my shop, a few of my neighbors who I was kind enough to keep in mind, and widened the roadways at all my complexes. He worked soley for us for about 2 days before venturing off to make money elsewhere. Last night I was able to borrow a Cat skid steer for the night. I drove it miles and miles all over town. Cleared out my shop and house a little better so cars could finally get unburied. We also has a guy come in with a couple KIOTI tractors with 70'' snowblowers to clear the driveways at my accounts. This crazyness was non stop since Monday Night. The roads were nothing but plow trucks, highloaders, tractors, snowmobiles, National guard military vehicles, cops, fireman, and hundreds of people walking everywhere.
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That's a lot of snow. I know you and your guys can't wait to get a good nights sleep. Stay safe
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

We have had some pretty big snowstorms here is southern NY... I can't even begin to wrap my mind around the idea of that much snow all at one time.
Old Today, 05:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

We used to get some big snow storms in Maryland when I lived there. It was pretty cool until it started melting and slush, ice, repeat cycle starts.
Old Today, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been hoping to see more pictures from out there. How do you handle billing for a storm like this? It has to be a huge mess.