Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-25-2013, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Some more pictures, it looks like the month of nonstop snow (as it seems) is coming to an end and we have no snow in the forecast, I can finally get my accounting done for 2012 as I meet with my CPA next week.

All the sudden lost all function of my plow at the condo complex I plow. Couldn't figure it out at all, and had no ratchet straps strong enough, with me. Had to use my truck's spare tire jack, unhook, race home, grab my ratchet straps and get back there, hook back up, ratchet strapped it and brought it to my Boss dealer. The power plug wire broke just before the connection plug on the truck's side. $170.00 later I have new power wiring on both the plow & truck.

Beginning of last storm, opening up a lot. By the time I got done it looked like it wasn't touched.

The backside of a new lot.

This was at about 3:20 Friday morning. On my way to the first lot, shortly after taking this I saw a ton of cop cars, an ambulance, & a tow truck, a Chevy Trailblazer was upside down between the shoulder and large wood fence (for noise reduction), definitely scary, I wish I had gotten a picture of it but road conditions were not favorable for it.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This truck has never left this lot since I started plowing it and it's in a spot where I can't backdrag on the driver's side of it because the building is right behind my truck if I were to try, so I've had to go perpendicular to it but this time I said screw it & have decided to push snow right up to if from now on.

I'm ready for spring now, we have a couple equipment auctions in MN coming up & I'm looking to pick up a ZTR, as soon as that happens it can be 85, humid, & sunny again! My EDDM postcards will be ready within the next couple weeks and I'll be working on a renewal/upselling letter to my existing clients this week.
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old

Old 02-25-2013, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Love the truck man, always was tempted into getting one tons of power without all the complications of a diesel, but they're not putting those big 8.1's out anymore. How is it treating you so far besides mileage? I'll bet it pushes snow like a beast!

http://sterlinglandscapingri.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sterli...99824763368400 Like and Follow us on Facebook
Old 02-25-2013, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks. It pushes great!! There have been a couple situations that I'm glad I had the 8.1 vs 6.0, I ended up doing a 1 time driveway and the snow had sat for 5 days and city plow windrow was almost ice, I worked it pretty hard on that one.
I love the power it has for pulling, I don't even feel most stuff behind me until you get to about the 10,000 lb mark.
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old

Old 02-25-2013, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Damn that's awesome! 2014 trucks supposedly turning the 6.0 into 6.2 for standard they are showing some impressive numbers for power, thinking its about that time to take one for a spin lol Either way gonna be a move up from the 5.4 I'm rocking now gets the job done alright but not a fan of the maintenance and all the revving it does to make power. Looking forward to nice black GMC hopefully soon

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sterli...99824763368400 Like and Follow us on Facebook
Old 02-25-2013, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Chevy is the way to go for gas that's for sure! The 2014 Chevy's will be a 6.2 instead of the 6.0? I haven't done much research on them as I don't plan on buying a brand new truck within the next few years lol. I think my mantra will be Ford for work & Chevy for play. My next truck to purchase (hopefully this year, my 8.1 isn't going anywhere) will be a dedicated work truck, most likely a 7.3 psd. I love Chevys & especially dmax's but I don't want to be hanging a heavy plow off the front of them more than I have to, plus throw an employee in a truck for plowing & they'll destroy it. I'll keep my 8.1 for a personal vehicle and to work when needed.
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old

Old 02-25-2013, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Member

The 7.3 is a bullet proof Ford if I was going used Ford diesel that's the only way I'd go. I can't stand the front ends they seem to hold weight well but are a nightmare to work on and never can keep them aligned properly once you have to tear them down and put new ball joints etc in there. Always been a ford man but with the new rigs think i may be switchin lol

Old 02-25-2013, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

7.3s may be dogs but they're reliable!
Despite what everyone says about the newer Fords, I love the 6.4s, primarily the exterior body style & interior, but the emissions crap ruined them. I worked for a younger guy (I was 17 going on 18 at the time & he was 20, this was back in spring 09) and he had an 08 6.4 CC F350 Dump and a 28ft enclosed (google: "pro-turf my rig lawnsite")

Nvm, his thread was deleted, but he ran 3 Walkers. Exceptional setup, then got into bark blowing and had a bark blower but I believe he closed up shop for some reason.
Anyway, I like those trucks and if I found the right deal I'd maybe consider one.
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old

Old 03-06-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is from last week, the latest creation at my school! We're on "spring break" this week even though we had 7/8/9" of snow depending on exact location from Monday Night through Tues Evening. I need sleep!! But needed to reply to emails, get invoices ready, etc and decided to update on here. Yes, it's not complete, the pond liner is still showing, the wall blocks need to have caps installed and a few more small boulders to cover the liner in the back and then a bunch of plantings also.

Yesterday evening, at these crappy condos I plow (8 units, 2 buildings, extremely tight parking areas on both sides, it's a headache to plow when 1. People don't move their cars and especially: 2. when I just get done plowing and move on to the next parking area and the people come out and move their car(s)
Anyway, came across this big pile of snow behind this pink & purple Tahoe on 22s, I think yall can guess the clientele of this place
It looks like they shoveled it all.

Pics don't do justice of the size, probably 3 ft tall and 5-6 ft wide, they might have kids and they were messing around or something, idk. But I was able to backdrag it and plow it all.

On the first push of the storm, snow rate was about 1"/hr, when I finally got done with this lot it looked like I wasn't even there.

I have some more pics of the waterfall, I'll add them tomorrow. Heading out to salt a lot and then going to bed!!!
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old

Last edited by JContracting; 03-06-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

New work shirts arrived!!

I also passed the MN Commercial Pesticide Applicator's License Exam today!!!!

My EDDM postcards arrived the other day and I can't wait to get them out in the coming weeks.
Looks like we're done with snow hopefully, temps are cool still (low 30s) but will be warming up later in the week, if we're out by the end of the month or early April for clean ups and installs I'm happy. I have one irrigation install in the works already for this year, plus a small patio and a couple other smaller installs. And all my existing clients. Hopefully my EDDM yields a good amt of full service maint clients as well as installs.

Currently working on a bid for maint at a church with multiple sites, the main "campus" 3.5 acres and the other is a small church and their cemetary which is 2.5 acres. I know churches are cheap but we'll see if I land it.
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old