Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-12-2013, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey man don't plow so close to my tahoe next time, your gonna hit it, lol. Shirts look great! Im sure you got spring fever as bad as I do, this snow has got to go!!! When are you thinking of doing your first round of EDDM? I'm thinking of one round soon (next week), then another round as soon as the snow is completely gone and the lawns are starting to dry out a bit for dethatching. I just wanna get my timing spot on.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking that too, maybe a test run for a few hundred or 1000 next week and the rest once thw snow is almost all gone. I want my timing to be perfect too. I kinda have a feeling spring will all the sudden hit hard in about 3 weeks. That f150 has been at that lot for months lol! It belongs to the owner of this mexican grocery store that's in the same building as the state farm agent (who I hold the contract with).
And yeah I'm dying to get out in the warm weather and get stuff going! Clean ups, fert, installs of all kinds.

Ur doing EDDM also?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2013, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ya I'm hoping it hits hard in 3 weeks, really hoping we'll be done with snow for the season, but who knows, well probably get another 6" right when we think its gonna be gone, seems to always happen that way. Im just doing door hangers instead of EDDM. Figured I got the time over spring break to pass them out so I could save a couple hundred bucks over EDDM, Im planning on doing two rounds of 2500 so 5k total. I might have a couple high school guys lend a hand on the second round being that I will have less time to get them passed out. Hoping to add another 15-25 accts by May or so along with a decent amount of spring clean-ups.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice nice. My postcards and the postage will be expensive but I hated going door to door with hangers because it took forever so this is a good alternative.
But we may get up to an inch tomorrow afternoon, which wouldn't be all that bad, I can hit my 1" commercial lot & condo complex, then we can call it a season!! I'd rather not have a big storm though! I wouldn't mind because the money would be great but I'm getting kinda sick of cold weather, plus I wanna buy a Lazer Z w/ ultravac that I've had my eyes on at Waconia Power. If I land the church(es) I'll definitely need the ztr and hopefully with landing that comes many, many, many more residential and commercial maint contracts also.
2014 Diamond Cargo 8.5' x 20' Enclosed Trailer - Fully Loaded Interior
Exmark Lazer Z X-Series 52" w/ Ultravac
Exmark TTHP 36"

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.

If youíre born poor, itís not your mistake. But if you die poor, it is your mistake.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Btw, are you heading to Supercross at the dome next month? I'm thinking I just may propose to Dianna Dahlgren (Miss Supercross) during the day pit party there. Lmao. I think she's only a year or two older than me so it'd work well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2013, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

hahahaha go for it, nothing like those moto-hoes, she's a classy moto-hoe though. Ya I'm planning on going, it should be sweet! Buy from Waconia, they are awesome there. I bought my plow from Eric in west st paul and my turf tracer from Dean at the Waconia store, dealt with them for a few years now, can't say enough good things. They stand behind the products they sell. If you get the church i'd for sure go with the laser, plus exmark has 0% financing right now so you can't beat that. How did you get the chance to bid the church, just cold calling?
Old 03-12-2013, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, Cold calling. And I actually met Eric at the Green Expo. This mower is at the Burnsville location. He was saying it's hard to get financing on the used mowers though. So I'm hoping some ppl prepay for the year or I'm able to swing a loan from my bank, I did just pay off a student loan I had with them so maybe it can happen.

Hahaha I'm tempted. AAnd yeah you gotta love em. But She's probably as classy as they come as far as moto-hoes/girls go.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post

New work shirts arrived!!

I also passed the MN Commercial Pesticide Applicator's License Exam today!!!!

My EDDM postcards arrived the other day and I can't wait to get them out in the coming weeks.
Looks like we're done with snow hopefully, temps are cool still (low 30s) but will be warming up later in the week, if we're out by the end of the month or early April for clean ups and installs I'm happy. I have one irrigation install in the works already for this year, plus a small patio and a couple other smaller installs. And all my existing clients. Hopefully my EDDM yields a good amt of full service maint clients as well as installs.

Currently working on a bid for maint at a church with multiple sites, the main "campus" 3.5 acres and the other is a small church and their cemetary which is 2.5 acres. I know churches are cheap but we'll see if I land it.

Nice Pict of the shirts! Thanks again for the order!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Some updated pics of the indoor patio & waterfall. The patio isn't complete but the waterfall basically is. In the fall my teacher's plan is to expand the patio to around the waterfall and install an actual turf putting green also. Should be sweet when it's all done.

I am now totally done with school and classes, just one online class/project thing during April and I graduate in May! We had a potluck lunch on Wed and I've been done with all assignments since Sunday night. It's almost like I've been on vacation with not having and any school obligations and almost everything is ready to go, just waiting on the weather.

Temps have been in the 40s the past few days with sun, (t-shirt & shorts weather!) 50s today & tmrw with rain to melt off this snow and then a cool-down sun-tues to the 30s but warming back up next week, ideally we'd like to get started the week of the 8th, I have an irrigation install w/ landscape install & seeding to do as soon as the frost is out and then another complete backyard removal with an irrigation install, sod, and a new landscape install in front & back, a small patio, and a medium sized removal & install. And then maint also with pre-em apps, clean ups, aerating, and then mowing early May.

I did drop off one route (545 of my EDDM postcards) yesterday, that will be in today's mail as a test run to see what it'll yield.

For anyone that is unsure of the difficulty of EDDM, as long as your postcards are done correctly, it's extremely easy!!! Pay for your selected routes online, have a facing slip for the route in each bundle or 50 or 100 and you're set to go.

2014 Diamond Cargo 8.5' x 20' Enclosed Trailer - Fully Loaded Interior
Exmark Lazer Z X-Series 52" w/ Ultravac
Exmark TTHP 36"

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.

If youíre born poor, itís not your mistake. But if you die poor, it is your mistake.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Going to the big auction in the morning? Fahey's is having there big one tomorrow morning in Glencoe, lots of mowers if your still looking for a ZTR