Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-24-2013, 06:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Nothern VA
Old 05-29-2013, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Been a great spring, very busy!!! Lot's going on. Bought a brand new 52" Lazer Z X-Series w/ Ultravac today!!!!! I'm extremely happy with the purchase, expensive yes, but the piece of mind that it'll always start right up and the amount of physical work I have to do compared to wb's is next to nothing, amazing! I'm all about being in shape but I'd rather head to the gym after work than be doing too much exercise with practically sprinting behind a wb and possibly overstretching a muscle or w/e with working. I don't have a ton of maintenance but I can justify the purchase with the immense amount of installs and pay it off sooner than expected hopefully.

I really wanted a new dirtbike but even though this costs twice as much as a new bike, it's a smarter purchase and it's safe to say motocross will always be there but the time to reinvest practically everything into my company and building my business exponentially won't.

Some pics from some recent projects. One is a work in progress that began almost 3 weeks ago! , elderly lady, my neighbor and good friend growing up's grandma. We totally removed the lawn & landscape, a new landscape with 22 ton of river rock, 240' of edging, 25+ shrubs and small trees and one b&b tree going in and an irrigation system. Problem is that she decided after we did the removal that she wanted a 60' maple tree removed & stump ground. Now that we finally found a tree service and they got it done, we got back to work Saturday after stopping for a week and a half, I harley raked the lawn and packed/groomed it with a track skid so the irrigation can go in and we can use black dirt to fill any low spots and then seed when all is said and done, today I get a call from her requesting for us to do sod in the front yards!!! This is after an entire day (onsite for 12 hrs 9a-9p Saturday, she was up north for the wknd) was spent harley raking and getting everything perfect to finish the project this wknd after the irrigation goes in! UGH!!!!!! The grade is set for seed to be done, for us to do sod, we'd have to haul out at least 7-9 yds of black dirt plus rent a skid, again! My buddy's dad (her son) did tell me that she'd be changing her mind many times during this but I never thought it'd be this bad! But the pay is right so I guess I can't complain too much, but I wanted this project to be done by the wknd following the Thurs we started!

Pics
Before on this removal & install project

Pic of my mower right off the showroom floor!

Before putting it to use this afternoon, this is actually a relative's place (large house on 3/4 acre of turf) 15 min south from the dealer, their garden tractor broke down and I was certainly more than willing to mow their lawn for a fee with my new mower. The grass was 8"+ in some areas, crazy, of course I didn't remember to spray fluid film under the deck and now there's a sh!t ton of grass packed under it which sucks and will take forever to get out I'm sure. The first thing I'll do tomorrow is wash it & get ff on the deck before heading out tomorrow.

Their lawn and basically everywhere else around our area is a swamp because we've been in a Seattle like weather pattern of nothing above 65 and cloudy with rain the past week and half. It sucks!
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
22 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

From last Saturday on the removal & install project, T190 w/ bucket and Harley rake. Yes, the skid is far forward but with the Harley rake on there it couldn't have been moved any further back otherwise I would have. I also didn't have any air in my bags and definitely should have. I didn't travel too far with this load thought thankfully.

During & After

Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

22 Years Old

Old 05-29-2013, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Small mulch install, this is from last Monday. We did one install prior to this in the morning and since we had some extra time in the afternoon, we handled this one. Later this week we will be installing new edging along the swing-set area and then about 600 sq ft of sod removed and new sod installed, the client's dogs destroyed it over the winter.

Prior to the dark brown we installed, it was wood chips and was very compact, we installed it extremely thick, at least 4-5" in all areas.

When we do the sod removal & install on this property later this week, we're simultaneously doing the exact same project but 1230 sq ft new sod installed (about 1000 sq ft in this clients backyard, primarily from his dogs destroying it in the winter) with some black dirt and chips from a tree that was cut down and stump ground removed before new black dirt & sod for the remainder of the project. The best part is this one is actually in my neighborhood and the other one is a mile (if that) south!! Talk about a big fuel $avings!!!

Time to get some sleep before a long day of mowing ahead! And believe it or not, dethatching also and one client wants fertilizing (pre-em fert) , however that one is a couple houses down from another full service maintenance client so no complaints. This holiday week is absolutely flying by! If all goes well, we'll finish the sod projects Thurs (more rain in the forecast also all the way through Sunday including severe storms tmrw which I'm actually excited for), we need to complete a mulch project Friday as well as complete the install process after the irrigation goes in if my irrigation partners are able to work it into their schedule this week on the removal & install. Busy week ahead.
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

22 Years Old

Last edited by JContracting; 05-29-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's been a month and a half practically since an update! We've been insanely busy!!! Which is a very good thing . We finally finished the full removal & install project, we ended up seeding in the back yard after sod up front, then a big storm came through and washed away all the seed, I almost couldn't help but laugh when I heard that, I felt bad but at the same time it was bound to happen. Anyway, we will be bringing in black dirt the week after this week and then sod in the entire backyard. I have no issues with it as the price keeps increasing and money is basically no object!

Here are some pics! I'll be working late into the night as I went up north to my grandparents' cabin with the family all weekend so I'll add more to the thread as I get more to my computer & watermarked and uploaded to my website.

This set of pics is one of maintenance and then the latest project we completed last week before the 4th. A curved walkway to a circular patio w/ freestanding wall and columns. Rochester Interlock products for the paver, soldier course & wall block. Warning for those in MN who will want to push this block type!! It is very expensive! Almost double the price as normal wall block, for whatever reason Rochester thinks this wall system is amazing, granted it looks great but it's unbelievably expensive.
Attached Images

Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

22 Years Old

Old 07-08-2013, 02:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll get some more pics up tomorrow, this week will be a little bit slower than the past few weeks and I can get some more pics up!! I need some sleep, today was a tough day of swimming & tubing behind the boat at my grandparents cabin with the rest of the family . Here's a couple pics from last wknd, I finally got a chance to take a full wknd off and go racing!

Both rigs. My buddy also had an 8.1 (lifted) last year and pulled his toy hauler which is probably about 1000 lbs heavier than mine and it pulled it pretty well, this year he decided on a Duramax, he says the difference is amazing. His 8.1 pulled well but the Duramax was much better! After riding in it, I've decided my next truck that won't be 100% work will be a Duramax. I'm also pretty jealous of his bikes! 2013 Honda 250 & 450, both heavily modded as he's one of the fastest guys in the district in A class.
I also attached a couple action shots, I'm pretty pumped on how well my new gear looks!

My buddy messing around on his DRZ 100 pitbike on Saturday in-between practices

Had a great day of racing. My class was last in the order so the track was pretty rough for the 1st moto and then insanely rough (for not riding outdoors since Nov) for the 2nd moto. Avoided a pile up in the first corner of the 2nd moto and held 4th for the first couple laps and then got passed (was exhausted) and held 5th and ended up 5th overall on the day, they trophied to 4th place, kinda bummed but that will be a goal for this year, to actually take a trophy home from a race!
A rider crashed in a different class off a pretty big camelback jump and they red flagged the race, were awaiting a helicopter but decided to bring in a 2nd envelope instead, learned a couple days later on fbook that the rider went over the bars and broke his femur, ouch!!! And scary, glad I didn't see the crash.
Attached Images

Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

22 Years Old

Last edited by JContracting; 07-08-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A couple shots of my buddy rippin on his 250, couldn't find any of on the 450. In the 2nd moto him and another top guy (Kody) had a very good battle (heart was elevated just watching the race), battling. He put a nice block pass in a corner (on the opposite side from where I was watching) and then the Kody put the same move on him the next lap, the following lap there was a rider down in the long whoop section in the middle and Kody had went to the left and my buddy went right and slowed down, Kody never let off even with a yellow flag and passed and ended up taking the win & overall but did admit to doing it but my buddy didn't want the promoter to dock Kody positions/laps as they're mutual on the track.
Attached Images

Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

22 Years Old

Old 08-09-2013, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been enjoying the summer a lot lately!!! Plenty of work but also doing a few races, much more than I had expected this year, raced at Berm Benders (same track as my last post) and since I've done enough races, I'm in 6th in my class for the track's own series. Raced there the wknd of the 19th-21st, then went to Millville Pro Nationals the following Tuesday night until Sunday, I rode practice on Thursday and then enjoyed my weekend with lots of beer & good times with good friends.
Here's a vid of a couple buddies grabbing the lead in the start of the 2nd 250 A moto on Friday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ItF2-p4GBk

I also raced last weekend Aug 2-4 at the same track, had a blast. Here are some pics. Picked up a new helmet the week before the race on the weekend of July 21st, Troy Lee Designs. Love the helmet. I also ordered a full bike kit of graphics and number backgrounds for my bike, can't wait to get them on, I'll be feeling fresh as can be the next time I race which will most likely be at berm benders the weekend of Aug 23-25 and back there again for all of labor day weekend with racing on Sun & Mon. It feels like summer is shot and I definitely wish I would have started to enjoy it before the end of June like I did!!

Pics from last weekend, wearing my red gear on practice day and the new blue thor gear on race day.

And Peter (slamjam), if you read this, you'll know exactly who's lined up right next to me in this pic! ^

Perfect form I'd have to say!

I did order a brand new 8.5'x20' enclosed v nose on Tues night, fully loaded, white ceiling & walls, cabinets, extra roof vent, side vents, extra dome lights, all LED's, extra d-rings on the floor & walls, from Diamond Cargo, I can't wait to head down to Georgia to get it! Unfortunately I'll have to wait, rec'd a confirmation email tonight stating that they expect it to come off the line on Sept 10, the wait is going to be killing me!

My new favorite pic of me riding.

I'll have to get some work pics up soon, we've been crazy busy all year except the week before Millville Pro Nationals and the week of it, just did maintenance and one small sod install because I didn't want to begin a project and have something happen whether it be weather or something and interrupt my vacation to Millville plans.
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

22 Years Old

Old 08-09-2013, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's a collection of pics.

This is from earlier this week, started & will be finishing tomorrow, a decent size removal & install, a bunch of old rock and installed a brand new landscape, I'll take finished pics tmrw of the new beds (one surrounding the house basically) and when my clients return from Sturgis, hopefully they'll make a damn decision on the shrubs so we can install them and have it looking way better!

Here are some pics from Millville Pro Nationals
Wed night when we were finally able to get in!!

The first look at the track, pics don't do justice of how steep the hills are!!

One of the biggest anticipation days of the year, waiting in line to get it!! My buddy from up in Duluth arrived Tuesday night at about 8pm and I arrived at about 10pm and we only had one rig between us two which happened to be another friend of ours (the Raptor 5th wheel in this pic) and we parked by each other and were able to get in as soon as they opened the gates at 5:30pm on Wed.

That line up of rigs in the field was 5 or 6 rows wide and they kept filing into the field until about 10pm

I was right behind the Raptor 5th wheel that's hooked to the pewter Chevy that's in the second row behind this closest row as pictured.

Just before leaving on Tuesday evening!

Also bought a Yamaha Zuma, best things ever for at the motocross races with being able to get around when your camped a good distance from the track or even just to ride around on to cruise at the track or to run errands around town at home.
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

22 Years Old

Last edited by JContracting; 08-09-2013 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My new favorite pic of me riding.

I'll have to get some work pics up soon, we've been crazy busy all year except the week before Millville Pro Nationals and the week of it, just did maintenance and one small sod install because I didn't want to begin a project and have something happen whether it be weather or something and interrupt my vacation to Millville plans.[/QUOTE]

The only thing that could make this pic look better is if there was a massive roost coming from the back tire.