Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-22-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It will definitely increase productivity, however belt drives are very cheap as far as maintenance & repairs goes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2013, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fall clean up time!!

My Lazer eats leaves for breakfast and then some, as long as it's dry!
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Some before & afters from last week.
It's crazy, some trees have dropped everything, especially Ash trees, while some (mostly Maples) haven't even turned colors.

First is the back section of a commercial property, blew leaves to the woods.

Residential. Small property but lots of leaves! And this was just the front & side yards as the trees in the backyard haven't dropped their leaves yet.

Another property, some strong winds arrived and started blowing leaves all over. This is a 1st of 2 clean ups, the primary reason for 2 clean ups is to do the final fert app immediately following the clean up.

Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How is that go slide on the 36 belt? I want one of those or ideally a pro slide for my 36 metro but they advise and everyone says not to use one and they don't work well on the 36 belts. It would just be used on flat lawns I don't see how they are any more wear and tear than a wheeled unit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-10-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's awesome on flat ground, on hills I step off and walk behind it. Since it has less drag force than a wheeled sulky, I see zero issues with using one on any belt drive. The only thing I'm not a fan of is turning around with it but all belt drives have that issue. I just make as long of stripes as possible to reduce the amount of time spent turning around.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-10-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey there, I have enjoyed reading your thread.... I like to keep up with guys that I feel I am close to company wise... Really cool to see that you stay up on your reading and planning for systems etc. A lot of guys don't even know what systems are... You laugh, but it's true... Have you read Gerber's E myth?
Old 11-11-2013, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Hey there, I have enjoyed reading your thread.... I like to keep up with guys that I feel I am close to company wise... Really cool to see that you stay up on your reading and planning for systems etc. A lot of guys don't even know what systems are... You laugh, but it's true... Have you read Gerber's E myth?
Thanks a lot! I don't get on here much but I definitely want to keep my thread going forever!

I read Gerber's E Myth last winter & will do so again this winter to brush up on things. I finished Green Side Up in late September & started reading Pricing for the Green Industry by Frank Ross in October and am still reading it. It's the best book I've ever bought, I've been working on a pricing system as well as estimating system including a lead tracking system. I'd highly recommend that book!! It's a tough read conpared to Green Side Up as it's basically a textbook but very worth it.

And I agree that some people wouldn't know a system even if someone even explained it to them. I definitely do laugh!

I have two friends who started an irrigation & landscape installation company, they've done great so far this year and are installing a brand new V plow's mount & wiring on their F250 6.0 Diesel as I type, I helped them put together the plow last week. Anyway, one of their dad's owns a "skid loader service" & black dirt delivery/selling company. He's in his upper 50's and still solo, hardly works because "everything is paid for" (most of which is older & depreciating fast) & has worked long enough over his life that he doesn't want to anymore except sitting in a skid loader or dump/pick up truck when hauling/plowing. I'm pretty sure if I asked him how he comes up with his prices for anything he'd have no clue except for that he's charged/priced that way for years. Not a system oriented business at all. My buddies will be using one of his skid loaders for snow combined with their truck, they have a great thing going (knock on wood!)

However, if one wants to work in the field all their life because they really enjoy it, go ahead! It's one's choice to choose for what they want to do in their career. The same goes for my teacher where I grad'd w/ my hort degree, he owns a high end hardscape install company and has 1-2 crews any given day, depending on the project. He wants his company to stay small as he really enjoys the work in the field. And of which, he creates some truly amazing hardscapes, as well as his latest projects of carving out boudlers to make tables with fire & rock in the center.

I'm the total opposite, basically all day, every day I'm thinking "systems, systems, systems" to get crews to replace myself in the field as fast as possible. So I can handle sales & administrative tasks, then delegate those tasks as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-11-2013, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good thoughts... I actually saw that you had a copy of the Frank Ross "text book"... hahah... I haven't got into it yet but plan to over the next few months as well. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't having fun in the field. I mean, I still get my jollies throwing down some nice stripes let alone finishing a nice hardscape install.... It is so much fun! Honestly! However, I would also be lying if I said that I didn't want to have the best company in my area, and I know that means "systems, systems, systems" and getting out of the field and delegating. I look at it this way.... Guys that have "created a job for themselves" are pretty much blowing it... It doesn't make any sense to start your own company if you plan on staying in the field forever, you know why? Because you could just go work for company X and make the same amount of money but not have to deal with everything that comes with running a business. I have this fantasy that 10 years down the road when I have everything running smooth and multiple crews...... I will get back to the office from a meeting with a potential client about mid-morning, look at my schedule and realize the afternoon looks fairly open, then strap on those boots and go surprise one of the crews and help them out for the rest of the day! I think doing things like that will help with the addiction I have for the work we do. And I really do truly love the work we do, I think I just love success even more...
Old 11-11-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Good thoughts... I actually saw that you had a copy of the Frank Ross "text book"... hahah... I haven't got into it yet but plan to over the next few months as well. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't having fun in the field. I mean, I still get my jollies throwing down some nice stripes let alone finishing a nice hardscape install.... It is so much fun! Honestly! However, I would also be lying if I said that I didn't want to have the best company in my area, and I know that means "systems, systems, systems" and getting out of the field and delegating. I look at it this way.... Guys that have "created a job for themselves" are pretty much blowing it... It doesn't make any sense to start your own company if you plan on staying in the field forever, you know why? Because you could just go work for company X and make the same amount of money but not have to deal with everything that comes with running a business. I have this fantasy that 10 years down the road when I have everything running smooth and multiple crews...... I will get back to the office from a meeting with a potential client about mid-morning, look at my schedule and realize the afternoon looks fairly open, then strap on those boots and go surprise one of the crews and help them out for the rest of the day! I think doing things like that will help with the addiction I have for the work we do. And I really do truly love the work we do, I think I just love success even more...
It's a pretty expensive book too but so worth it!

I agree that working in the field your entire life is a waste too. Too much effort for not enough of a reward.

I definitely enjoy the field work to an extent, I enjoy plowing & how a lot looks after it has been plowed and was just salted, laying some deep stripes on a big property on a hot summer morning, or the look of a freshly wetted patio after sweeping the polymeric sand. But.....while I enjoy it (thats the whole reason I got into this business, one summer job back 6 yrs ago when I was 15 turning 16), I know the only way to really get to the financial success I want (7+ figures) is to have the "systems, systems, systems" & delegating mindset and take the time I spend in the field now to enjoy it a little bit.
5-7 yrs out when I'm not in the field, ill definitely take an hour or two per week to mow & fertilize my house &/or shop property. I'd also like to experience that, head out with the crews on a hot & humid summer afternoon just to get back to your roots so to speak and show the guys that the boss can still hustle :laughs:
10 yrs from now my goal (lofty, yes) is to have a nice sized property here in MN, then another down in S FL and leave for there around thanksgiving and make it back to MN once a month or so to ensure snow & ice management services are going smoothly and our numbers are right then return around April/May when it's warm. Maybe even expand into the S FL lawn & landscape maintenance market.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-11-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Btw, how old are you?
Posted via Mobile Device