Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-14-2013, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryde307 View Post
Not trying to highjack but since I follow this thread I saw this. If your goal is to gain 5 customers I am assuming cashflow is tight. I would keep as much money in the business as possible. I would spend some down time going door to door in your neighborhood or ones you work in explainging, Hey I am so and so with company X. We work in your neighborhood already and I am wondering if there is anything we could help you out with? Start small and keep it simple. You will get your 5 customers.
Another is word of mouth through family and friends. If you are just starting out chances are most of your closest circle still don't know much of what you do. Spend some time educating them. They will be your best sales force.
I really am trying to keep as much money in the business as possible. I think I will do what you said and keep it simple. Thanks for you're input. I really appreciate it.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Time for some pics!!! Been pretty busy with clean ups, aside from last Monday and today, both days were bitter cold and windy to be doing clean ups. Some companies are out working I'm sure but with only a few left, we're pushing them out to tomorrow and then calling it a season unless more come up before snow is in the immediate forecast.

These first few are from last Sunday, had my buddy that is my irrigation sub (partnership) help out as he's just waiting for snow now that they've finished blowouts, did a commercial clean up done as there weren't any cars there on a Sunday morning and a decent sized resi. It was the first Sunday I've worked since June and I couldn't have been happier to be working that day.

After taking so much time off this summer/fall to go racing and have fun with my buddies going up north to the lake, girls creating a distraction, etc., I have definitely re-found (if that's a word) my focus with the business and I'm coming into winter and especially next spring with nothing but my company on my mind. I had my fun for a summer but next year I plan to do hardly any racing except for maybe 1 a month and the Millville Pro Nat'l Wknd. When clean ups are finished and all have paid in full, I'll have tripled last year's sales and plan to at least double this year's sales next year and the goal is to build a 2 man maintenance crew 3-4 days/week for even more guaranteed cashflow as well as overhead recovery, and purchase a second truck (for the maint crew) as well as a dump trailer for a 2-3 man crew (including myself) that I want to be able to keep busy 2-3 days per week, the crew members will likely overlap unless the workload increases enough to have separate crews that'll give each guy 40 hrs/week. And in the fall I want to purchase a leaf loader and build a box for the dump trailer and be ultra efficient.

I also want to pay off a lot of debt, (vehicles, student loans, etc.) so that I can purchase a house w/ land within the next year and a half so I can really grow the business and don't have to rely on another person's land availability for parking equipment until my company can purchase/lease it's own shop and to get out of my parents house, nothing wrong with my family but I really want to have my own place! It's tough to beat the thought of coming home after a long, hot day to my own brand new house (if I can afford it, I want to build) and kick back on my expansive patio that my crew & I built in the backyard with a cold beer! Not to mention having get-togethers with my friends whenever I want especially in the winter as my close group of friends are also lawn/landscape/snow company owners and have similar winter schedules as I do.

On to the pics.

Commercial property on board the mower.

Resi from that day. Backyard.

Sideyard. Unfortunately the winds picked up that day in the afternoon and none of the neighbors picked up their leaves so some blew over into my client's property.

Picked up an Echo PB770 last Wednesday. Unbelievable difference compared to the Husky I have, granted it wasn't the topline model but I'm still amazed by the power, only thing I don't like is the fuel economy of it! Half gallon tank (with oil & gas, costs about $3/tank) and it gets burnt up in about an hour.

Here's a pic from last Tuesday which was another frigid day, my buddy's (one is in the last clean up pic walking next to my trailer) that are partners with their irri/landscape/snow biz picked up their brand new Boss 8'2" V plow Monday and we assembled the plow Monday night and while I was doing clean ups, they got the mounts on and we finished the wiring harness that evening. They had problems with batteries holding a charge so that's why the hood was up but that's now been solved, lose wire to the alternator. Anyway, I'm jealous to say the least.

Another one from last week, had to drive the mower out of my trailer up to the pump to get fuel, who wants to take the time to use gas cans?

Put gator blades on after last Sunday. The difference is amazing. They shred dry leaves to dust. Especially when mulching everything first. Lazer Z w/ gator blades + ultravac + hustling with a pb770 = unmatched efficiency, the only thing missing is a dump trailer & leaf loader which will come next year if everything works out.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Some before, during, & afters of a shrub trimming & fall clean up last Thurs, temps warmed to near 50 that day when the sun came out as well as Friday! In November in MN that means shorts & sweatshirt weather! Tomorrow is looking like that also so I'll definitely be doing the same, just hopefully it won't be in the 20s in the morning, I definitely was cold riding on the mower early in the morning.

The sun angle this time of year definitely makes it difficult for getting pics of stripes.

^ The pond in the background was frozen over, thought it was ironic as I was wearing shorts!

And then one from Friday, the others we did were on a really crappy lawn that doesn't have irrigation therefore the turf isn't lush or thick so the stripes are non-existent, a second round from a different property that I have pics in the thread, then a small amount of shrub trimming and we were in a rush so I didn't grab any pics.

This backyard was totally fenced in, the one gate was about 30" wide, we both were on blowers to push leaves through the fence on each side of the house to the front yard areas. Even with doing that we still hustled and got this property done within the amount of time that I want us to be earning per man hour.

If you zoom you can see my buddy doing some gang sign as a joke because he knew I was taking a picture. Not the nicest of lawns but it looks 100x better than it did before.

Took this one Friday morning. A bit frosty and needless to say it was chilly riding on the mower.

Saw this interesting rig at the yard waste dump site on Friday afternoon, I sure hope it's not someone who's doing fall clean ups for hire!
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old

Old 11-18-2013, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

those gator blades are awesome. they still have nice lift to get that good cut and shred nice too. best of both worlds
Old 11-19-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where are you dumping leaves? That place is huge.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The Maple Grove Yard Waste Site. Owned by Lynde's Nursery/Enterprises. Lots of contractors go there as well as homeowners, the line to get In on weekends In spring/fall (homeowners) usually 1/2+ mi!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
The Maple Grove Yard Waste Site. Owned by Lynde's Nursery/Enterprises. Lots of contractors go there as well as homeowners, the line to get In on weekends In spring/fall (homeowners) usually 1/2+ mi!
Posted via Mobile Device
do they charge you guys to dump
Old 11-19-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah. Leaves/grass in spring & fall is $8/cu yd. Dirt/sod scraps/etc is insane, $12 or $16/cu yd. Brush is $8/yd. I can't remember what rock is to dump there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

looks good, I went with the stihl br600's for a little better fuel efficiency the tanks last about 2hrs maybe a little over. and they are lighter then echo. they may not have the highest cfm but its high enough for blowing out beds and blowing grass off sidewalks and driveways which is all i use them for. and as for buying a house or piece of land within the next year, you need to show at least 30,000 profit which is what's left over after all your expenses are taken out of the total sales you did for the year, and I don't know what kind of money your making but i'm not near 30,000 profit way too many expenses still. I'm grossing more then enough but being new into business there are lots of things to buy, for example i spent 13000 on trailers this spring. last year it was the mower and bagger for major purchases. so far I have over 43,000 in expenses this year. I should be close to last years 50,000 for expenses, but I think i grossed more this year hopefully I'll show at least 10k profit.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks.
I'm not near that for profit this year either, some things haven't been factored into my net on my P&L yet such as the big equipment purchases as they're depreciating assets and aren't "expensed" 100% the first year. I'm also grossing a fair amount, however with buying an enclosed trailer and all the other stuff this year, (money seriously seems to disappear so quick!), I finally have a perfect setup for maintenance, however next year with wanting a second truck and then a dump trailer & leaf loader to be set up for installs, that's another almost 30k if I were to pay cash for it all which I won't, if I can swing it, I'd finance it. But that's only after paying off student loans, CC's, etc.

Did you try to apply for a house loan and learned that number of 30k?
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old