Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-01-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Haha I had her number but never saved it to my phone, just had it written down. It was so long ago & I've met so many people since then I forgot her name.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2013, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Figured I'd update. We've been getting a bunch of small 1-2" storms besides one big storm of 7-8" that started the season off.
Last Tuesday I dropped my truck off at the body shop with the plan of it being done Friday, so Friday rolls around, they call and they found more damage behind the fender flair and it took longer to get a new door, so now it should be done Tuesday, with snow in tbe forecast! We ended up with about 1.2", thankfully my very good friends (the ones who have the 6.0 psd w/ boss 8'2" V) let me use their truck yesterday & today to get my resis done and then commercials today (they're closed Sunday so that relieved some stress). With snow in the forecast tomorrow, I'm hoping we Only get an inch so only half the resis need to be done and the commercials so that our timing of getting my stuff & their stuff done will work. Talk about stress!! I did get a rental vehicle, a 2011 Ford Focus and since they (her insurance) couldnt get a truck with a plow as a rental (impossible), I'll be filing a loss of business claim with them. Ill get some pics of that final install we did during the thanksgiving week later this week. We had snow the following tues/wed and it's been crazy ever since.

After plowing with their diesel & V plow, I'm definitely buying a V next summer, most likely at the MN state fair when one of the boss dealers has tons of deals going at that time. I'd also like to purchase a second truck as well, which will definitely be diesel. The truck was barely working when pushing snow, plus I burned hardly any fuel compared to how much gas I go through with my truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by JContracting; 12-16-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
Figured I'd update. We've been getting a bunch of small 1-2" storms besides one big storm of 7-8" that started the season off.
Last Tuesday I dropped my truck off at the body shop with the plan of it being done Friday, so Friday rolls around, they call and they found more damage behind the fender flair and it took longer to get a new door, so now it should be done Tuesday, with snow in tbe forecast! We ended up with about 1.2", thankfully my very good friends (the ones who have the 6.0 psd w/ boss 8'2" V) let me use their truck yesterday & today to get my resis done and then commercials today (they're closed Sunday so that relieved some stress). With snow in the forecast tomorrow, I'm hoping we Only get an inch so only half the resis need to be done and the commercials so that our timing of getting my stuff & their stuff done will work. Talk about stress!! I did get a rental vehicle, a 2011 Ford Focus and since they (her insurance) couldnt get a truck with a plow as a rental (impossible), I'll be filing a loss of business claim with them. Ill get some pics of that final install we did during the thanksgiving week later this week. We had snow the following tues/wed and it's been crazy ever since.

After plowing with their diesel & V plow, I'm definitely buying a V next summer, most likely at the MN state fair when one of the boss dealers has tons of deals going at that time. I'd also like to purchase a second truck as well, which will definitely be diesel. The truck was barely working when pushing snow, plus I burned hardly any fuel compared to how much gas I go through with my truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
clearly your friends are better then mine, when my truck was in the transmission shop getting the transmission rebuilt, I had to help my buddy do his lots, and pay him 500 to use his truck and put diesel in it....what a friend right. but anyways good to hear your truck is almost done hopefully. I buying a v blade for my 2010 f350 diesel which i've nothing but good things about as far as pushing snow. and diesel is awesome even with my 7.3 having almost 300,000 on it, i was still plowing the last storm we got 6" of snow with another inch of ice on top of it, idle is 700 I was pushing at 12-1600. really not even trying.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
clearly your friends are better then mine, when my truck was in the transmission shop getting the transmission rebuilt, I had to help my buddy do his lots, and pay him 500 to use his truck and put diesel in it....what a friend right. but anyways good to hear your truck is almost done hopefully. I buying a v blade for my 2010 f350 diesel which i've nothing but good things about as far as pushing snow. and diesel is awesome even with my 7.3 having almost 300,000 on it, i was still plowing the last storm we got 6" of snow with another inch of ice on top of it, idle is 700 I was pushing at 12-1600. really not even trying.
What a pal
I've spent nearly $200 on diesel since Sat, about $60 of it was for my use.

I've definitely been spoiled with using a diesel & V, I won't want to go back to my gas & straight blade. I'm definitely getting one next year and a diesel if things go right. We had another 1.25" of snow today & another .5-1" coming yet tonight. I'm at my buddy's place now, waiting for the snow, they're planning on heading out around 1am and then depending on how much snow we get, ill take their truck to do 1" triggers and once I get my truck, i plan on doing the 2" triggers for a prop management company, a bunch of resis that are unoccupied for the time being.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2013, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
What a pal
I've spent nearly $200 on diesel since Sat, about $60 of it was for my use.

I've definitely been spoiled with using a diesel & V, I won't want to go back to my gas & straight blade. I'm definitely getting one next year and a diesel if things go right. We had another 1.25" of snow today & another .5-1" coming yet tonight. I'm at my buddy's place now, waiting for the snow, they're planning on heading out around 1am and then depending on how' much snow we get, ill take their truck to do 1" triggers and once I get my truck, i plan on doing the 2" triggers for a prop management company, a bunch of resis that are unoccupied for the time being.
Posted via Mobile Device
nice, all my accounts are 2" triggers but we are getting more then 2" today so i'll be out plowing around 5 or 6 probably hopefully be done around 1 or so.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm about half & half on 1" & 2" triggers, some resis are 1.5" too. I'd much rather have all commercials at 1" & resis at 2".

The snow never came which made things MUCH easier! Plus I was with my buddies and their 4wd went out just as they finished up a lot except a couple small piles. They brought it to a shop & the passenger side hub basically exploded. It's getting new hubs right now & should be done this afternoon and I actually get the pleasure of driving my rental Focus to the shop :laughs:

Came to just under $800, basically what I paid them for getting to use their truck.
That happened around 3am, after that we went back home. I did some invoicing and was up until about 5.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the green industy book on pricing that cost like $120 bucks. Why is it worth it? Thanks.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy it and you'll find out ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Buy it and you'll find out ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks but that didn't answer my question. What does that book have to offer that the plethora of other book I've read don't? Finding your fixed and variable overhead is easy and calculating down to a T the amount of labor hours you have to sell is fairly easy. So what does this book teach or offer that I haven't already learned or read? I'm interested in the book but if i spend $120 for someone to teach me how to calculate overhead costs- i'll be disappointed and probably a little mad.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It doesn't just tell you how to calculate your overhead. It helps you create the proper overhead recovery system along with direct cost recovery which then allows you to create a pricing system.

Sry if this its not written well, im out cleaning up lots plus extra resi properties for a management co, and I've had about 6 hrs of sleep in 2 days.
Posted via Mobile Device