Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2014, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So are you going to race motocross this year? It sounds like your fast enough to race B class this season?
05' JD F1445 Diesel 72"
13' Bobcat T650 CTL
08' Haulmax 24' Enclosed Trailer
11' JD JS 26 W.B.
12' BOSS 9.2 V-XT plow+Wings
Stihl hand held eq.
10' L.W. 13hp blower
13' Permagreen Triumph
WI certified pesticide applicator
Old 02-06-2014, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts lawn care View Post
So are you going to race motocross this year? It sounds like your fast enough to race B class this season?
I could maybe race B on a supercross track and if I were to buy a new bike & get the suspension set up right. But on an outdoor's style track, no way haha.

I may do a few races this year but we'll see. I'm pretty much 110% focused on growing my company and then buying a house & shop w/ land. I'll definitely be at Millville for the pro national weekend, plan on arriving Tuesday evening and riding Thursday practice and then enjoying the rest of the weekend
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2014, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
Thanks a lot!

Btw, did landscaper5 post anything besides "posted from mobile device" ? Thats all I'm seeing?

For spring I really want to just press hard 7 days a week so I can earn as much as possible and meet my budget goals and pay down some debt in order to get a loan for another truck as well as get crews established. Maybe my first weekend off will be memorial weekend :laughs: I know ill get the itch to go racing but well see what happens with that.

I also am raising prices for some clients this year, especially because I'm implementing credit card payments for almost all maintenance clients and I definitely need to increase prices by at least 3% to cover that cost, not to mention all other costs that keep going up!

Im looking into buying a skid sprayer from another company in my area, 300' of hose, 225 gal tank & electric pump, does anyone have any pros & cons about them? Im thinking I'd install it in my 6x10 open trailer and make that the designated "lawn care" trailer with using that for aerating, & fert as well as spot spraying also instead of using my enclosed for that portion. I did see another guy on here that had an enclosed trailer for his fert & weed control division and I really liked that set up but thats not in this year's budget.
Posted via Mobile Device
What are you looking at starting the season with as far as equipment and employees? Also what new equipment do you plan on getting for the crew and what type of work will they be handling?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2014, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Also you were talking about the spray rig as a dedicated lawn care rig, and how you would use that for fertilizing, aerating and spot spraying. I was just wondering how does that work for fertilizing? Do you just spray it on the grass from the rig or do you still have to put it in a spreader and spread it on the yard?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2014, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landscaper5 View Post
What are you looking at starting the season with as far as equipment and employees? Also what new equipment do you plan on getting for the crew and what type of work will they be handling?
Posted via Mobile Device
Depending on what I land for new accts and accts renewing , I'll start off right away with the setup I had this fall. My 8.1 pulling my enclosed and the mowers, blowers, etc. Within a month after the season starts I plan to purchase a dump trailer as long as the install work keeps flowing and I earn enough profit right away in the season to purchase it with cash. If I can keep the install work flowing through the season and I'm able to build a maint. route for a 2 man crew (I wouldn't be apart of it) to handle and then a design & install crew that I myself along with 1 or 2 others depending on job size will be a part of.
The design & install crew will consist of a truck (not sure if my 8.1 or have the maint. crew use it if I buy a new (06 or newer) Duramax, or if I buy a 03-06 6.0/8.1 for the maint. crew) that's still all up in the air right now but then a dump trailer, I'm set on the Load Trail 14' or 16' w/ 7k lb axles and then hand tools & wheel barrows. I figured into my budget this year to purchase a concrete saw & compactor for hardscapes if that's something we pursue which I'm on the fence about, we didn't exactly set the world on fire with hardscapes last year as having to rent the equipment cut into the profits plus not being able to find the right guys. For skid work, my irrigation guys have a skid and will most likely do the majority of my skid work for the cost of renting a Kubota SVL 75 or a little bit more, that would be very nice because I won't have the wear & tear nor spend the time picking it up, bringing it back, and I don't have to run it! That'll most likely be the plan until I purchase a Kubota SVL 75 in a year or two.

I've decided to not pursue the electric powered sprayer, if I don't buy a Permagreen style ride-on sprayer it'll be a gas powered skid sprayer to mount on my 6x10 open.

Quote:
Also you were talking about the spray rig as a dedicated lawn care rig, and how you would use that for fertilizing, aerating and spot spraying. I was just wondering how does that work for fertilizing? Do you just spray it on the grass from the rig or do you still have to put it in a spreader and spread it on the yard?
Posted via Mobile Device
I meant using the open trailer as the dedicated lawn care rig.
I have a Lesco stainless steel walk behind spreader, it's currently used for salt, that's used for granular fert in the spring/summer/fall, it works great for resis & small commercial. I'd mount the backpack sprayers on my open trailer for spot spraying.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice man, I take it you're a chevy guy. Do you think it could be very hectic with trying to find workers to fill the maintance route in mid season while keeping up with the install work if all works out well?. Also you said you may not pursue hardscapes very much, so I'm guessing you will be pursuing landscape installs heavy? Also I'm thinking of taking a class related to lawn/tree pesticides in a few years, which I think would be a good thing to learn since not many landscapers/ lawn care guys do that around me. Did you ever take a class like this or did you learn from internet/reading?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2014, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Nice man, I take it you're a chevy guy. Do you think it could be very hectic with trying to find workers to fill the maintance route in mid season while keeping up with the install work if all works out well?. Also you said you may not pursue hardscapes very much, so I'm guessing you will be pursuing landscape installs heavy? Also I'm thinking of taking a class related to lawn/tree pesticides in a few years, which I think would be a good thing to learn since not many landscapers/ lawn care guys do that around me. Did you ever take a class like this or did you learn from internet/reading?
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm definitely a fan of Chevys. My dad has always had them for trucks and one of my Grandpas also has. I don't like having to lock hubs manually with Fords and the only Dodge I'd own is a Cummins. My irrigation guys have a 6.0 Ford and have had to put $5,000+ in repairs this year to get theirs to run right and the other horror stories of the 6.4s leads me to steer clear of them.

I plan to get guys right away in the season for the maint. crew as long as the work is there. I do think it will be challenging to find someone to run the crew though, I know that's what I have to do to grow the business but to hand the keys to someone to drive about 60% of my life's investment is somewhat tough to do but with the right systems it should work well.

I have 2 younger brothers that are 18 & 19 and have lots of friends that can work as laborers, one of my bro's grad'd from Wyotech and works full time at a Firestone but has sporadic days off and will always be up for working, the other will be home from UND from May-Aug, I may have him work also. I had some of them work last year on installs (not hardscapes though) and most of them worked great especially once everyone gets rolling in a groove.

I have a degree in hort, learned most of the "in the field" things from my courses in the program. I also have learned a fair amount online from this site as well as reading Turf Mag and Lawn & Landscape Mag.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Member

It seems finding some one to take over for you is the hardest part in growing any business. I'm sure with the right systems and determination you will find some one. Anything is achievable and the sky is the limit. How many years did you go to school for hort. ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2014, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's definitely true that the sky is the limit. And I my degree is an Associate's. I went to rhe University of North Dakota right after high school for 1.5 yrs (3 semesters) then transferred to where I graduated from. The whole program took 5 semesters and I graduated this past May.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2014, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
I'm definitely a fan of Chevys. My dad has always had them for trucks and one of my Grandpas also has. I don't like having to lock hubs manually with Fords and the only Dodge I'd own is a Cummins. My irrigation guys have a 6.0 Ford and have had to put $5,000+ in repairs this year to get theirs to run right and the other horror stories of the 6.4s leads me to steer clear of them.

I plan to get guys right away in the season for the maint. crew as long as the work is there. I do think it will be challenging to find someone to run the crew though, I know that's what I have to do to grow the business but to hand the keys to someone to drive about 60% of my life's investment is somewhat tough to do but with the right systems it should work well.

I have 2 younger brothers that are 18 & 19 and have lots of friends that can work as laborers, one of my bro's grad'd from Wyotech and works full time at a Firestone but has sporadic days off and will always be up for working, the other will be home from UND from May-Aug, I may have him work also. I had some of them work last year on installs (not hardscapes though) and most of them worked great especially once everyone gets rolling in a groove.

I have a degree in hort, learned most of the "in the field" things from my courses in the program. I also have learned a fair amount online from this site as well as reading Turf Mag and Lawn & Landscape Mag.
What year is their 6.0? And yes the 6.4 has plenty of problems, but the 6.7 is one heck of an engine and you really can't kill a 7.3... So I wouldn't judge an entire brand off of two engines....
Posted via Mobile Device