Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2014, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Only skimmed through the last few posts but congrats on 3 years. Alot of people don't make it to that point.

If debating a dump trailer vs a dump truck both are great but when we were at a similar point we went with the trailer. Good is cheaper to buy, cheap to insure, it can be an equipment trailer and dump trailer in one.
Bad is you can't put a plow on it and have another truck on the road, you need a truck or another truck to pull it if your busy, Tires wear out faster.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryde307 View Post
Only skimmed through the last few posts but congrats on 3 years. Alot of people don't make it to that point.

If debating a dump trailer vs a dump truck both are great but when we were at a similar point we went with the trailer. Good is cheaper to buy, cheap to insure, it can be an equipment trailer and dump trailer in one.
Bad is you can't put a plow on it and have another truck on the road, you need a truck or another truck to pull it if your busy, Tires wear out faster.
Thanks. It's been quite the ride so far.
I didnt even know you guys had a dump trailer, thought it was all dump trucks?

I'm still not totally sure what I'll buy but I'm leaning towards the dump trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2014, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
Thanks. It's been quite the ride so far.
I didnt even know you guys had a dump trailer, thought it was all dump trucks?

I'm still not totally sure what I'll buy but I'm leaning towards the dump trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device
No dump trailer anymore but when we were at a similar spot it is what we chose to go with.
There are days I still wish we had one and almost bought on last year again.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmlandscape View Post
All good points here on this debate of truck vs trailer. Considering that your looking to grow into two crews I would go with the dump trailer first in case you don't get enough work for both crews this year. I bought a 16' dump trailer last year and absolutely love it.

When you do have the funds buy a dump truck also. This way you can leave the dump trailer at the job site to be loaded with debris and use the truck to run materials to the site. No having to wait until your done tearing out to get material or until days end to load up debris. Also dump trailers can be loaded with compact tractors and mini track loaders which don't have the reach to make it over the sideboards on a dump truck.
I'm thinking dump trailer still, mainly because the upfront purchase price is less as well as insurance & maintenance, but like Ryde stated, you can't plow with it. So I'd have to get another truck. Unsure if the next truck will be a pickup or dump. I'm still thinking a pickup (Chevy 2500HD, not sure if it'll be my 8.1 that the maint crew will use & I get a newer duramax or buying an 03-06 6.0/8.1 for the maint crew to use and I continue using my 8.1 for my crew) as they're cheaper and easier to plow in especially because we do a lot of residential. Only about 2.5 hours of each event is spent plowing commercial properties, the other 12+ hrs are resis. The growth within residential has been easier but I plan to expand in commercial also.

I do like the idea of a dump truck & trailer within the same crew. I can take debris and haul it off site while the crew continues to work whether it's with a skid or not. With a pick up & dump trailer, work has to stop basically. But if my 2nd truck is a dump truck, that brings conflict with me having to drive a dump truck as a personal truck if my 8.1 is being used for the maint crew's truck.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryde307 View Post
No dump trailer anymore but when we were at a similar spot it is what we chose to go with.
There are days I still wish we had one and almost bought on last year again.
What brand did you guys have? I've used my buddy's Load Trail a couple times, Lano in Ramsey is a dealer of them and I saw them at the Green Expo, I really liked it, especially because it has the pull out tarp to cover the load and the price isn't too crazy.
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old

Old 02-11-2014, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So, if you get a dump trailer I'd suggest getting a 7x12 or 7x14 with 6 or 7k axles. There isn't much to trailers to and sometimes you can find a cheaper used one that isn't beat on too bad. Unless you're looking for the tax back or whatever and want a new. But the added size and weight capacity is worth it for material and equipment.

If you get a dump truck, are you thinking a 1 ton, or a 450 550 size truck? From what I've heard on this subject a one ton is thrown over weight pretty quick with a dump body. Things to think about definitely show us what you're thinking of getting beforehand man!
Old 02-11-2014, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.T. View Post
So, if you get a dump trailer I'd suggest getting a 7x12 or 7x14 with 6 or 7k axles. There isn't much to trailers to and sometimes you can find a cheaper used one that isn't beat on too bad. Unless you're looking for the tax back or whatever and want a new. But the added size and weight capacity is worth it for material and equipment.

If you get a dump truck, are you thinking a 1 ton, or a 450 550 size truck? From what I've heard on this subject a one ton is thrown over weight pretty quick with a dump body. Things to think about definitely show us what you're thinking of getting beforehand man!
I think I'm going to go with a brand new one, most likely 7x14, I'd like a 16' one though, Load Trail offers them both with 7k axles. I prefer brand new (like my enclosed, and I wanted a ton of extra upgrades) because I know exactly what kind of abuse it's gone through and that's none

I'm not sure what I'd do for a dump truck yet. I'd like to stay with Chevy, possibly a Kodiak 4500/5500 otherwise I'd maybe go with an F450/550, the problem with getting a truck that big is that once you hook a trailer up to it you need to have a CDL which I have no desire to get so that's when I'd hire on a driver/skid operator w/ a CDL. I'll definitely be posting on here to get the insight from those that have been there already!
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old

Old 02-11-2014, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Our trailer was a PJ. Well built but the paint was garbage. We bought an enclosed and the dump trailer together form somewhere around Rochester. The pricing was good.
Ours was 7x14 It would have been nice if it was a bit wider. Longer didn't really matter. Longer you could get more light material but anything heavy you are just losing payload.
A friend has a load trail with the tarp. It seems like a nice trailer. He bought it somewhere near St Cloud and got a good deal on it.
As for CDL it's worth it. It is easy to do and you will most likely need it in the future anyways.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looking for a dump trailer for this year as well. Have you seen any or used one with the solar charging system? The manufacturer I am looking at has them, but don't know how well they work. Haven't found a dump trailer I have been pleased with electrical system yet. The on-board "plug-in" type chargers I have found to be a joke. Takes forever to get a charge. I haven't had any luck with them "charging as you go down the road" either. Don't know how exactly that's supposed to work. What kind of research you have on the subject. I may need to start a new thread...
Old 02-11-2014, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETPRO View Post
Looking for a dump trailer for this year as well. Have you seen any or used one with the solar charging system? The manufacturer I am looking at has them, but don't know how well they work. Haven't found a dump trailer I have been pleased with electrical system yet. The on-board "plug-in" type chargers I have found to be a joke. Takes forever to get a charge. I haven't had any luck with them "charging as you go down the road" either. Don't know how exactly that's supposed to work. What kind of research you have on the subject. I may need to start a new thread...
I'd love to know what you find out about the solar charging. The ones I've used, you have to basically plug in overnight which sucks! Or pull out the battery at the end of the work day and bring it home to hook it up to a charger overnight because I my trailers in a field basically with no power near them.

As for them charging off the truck while driving, I don't think that is the case, my irrigation guys were trying to tell me their F250 6.0 did that but I don't see it. My interior lights do turn on when the truck is hooked up though.
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old