Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2014, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Haven't picked up any new landscape jobs. Its still winter pretty much. Some bids have been sent out for commercial maintenance, I've been slowly getting renewal contracts out also. We're supposed to get more snow tmrw, 2-4" or so. Rain starting tonight with a low above freezing for once, then changing to snow tmrw afternoon/evening. Should be interesting. Especially because we're forecast for almost 60 degrees on Sunday.

Just been having fun going out with my friends when not working on bids, advertising plans, etc. Not only weekenda but weeknights too because pretty soon it'll be work from sun up to sun down and repeat til Friday &some weekends in the spring/fall. revamped my website also. Heading to downtown Minneapolis this Saturday with some of my buddies, staying at one of the top hotels & going to The Pourhouse club that night. Should be a blast! We did the same thing at the beginning of the month also.
We did get 2" of snow last week and we plowed everything. Then it all melted the next day

A couple weeks ago I did pick up a MN Wanner 225 gal skid sprayer w/ 300' hose from another local company. My original plan was to have it in the bed and do the wiring but I dont want to keep it in my truck, so I put it on my 6x10 open trailer. I was going to sell that trailer but I'm going to keep it and wire & mount the sprayer on the trailer and use that as a lawn care rig (fert/weed control/aerating) and keep my enclosed as a maintenance rig. Ill just have to figure out where I can keep my 6x10 trailer as once I have a dump trailer, as that'll take up all my room I have at my storage spot.

Last week when plowing one commercial property, something caught my eye and I look to the right and see a group of deer in the trees, got a pic but it's tough to see
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2014, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Trying to post pics via photobucket sucks! Theres a pic from today of the the sprayer on my trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2014, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Nice man. I just picked up a s-10 with a 4.3. It should be the perfect rig for me this year. It's still real cold down here and don't think any one is thinking of there yard. Haven't received any new jobs but hope that changes! Sounds like you will have a good time this weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2014, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a sweet skid sprayer!

You are a lucky mother#$%^&* for having it get to the 60's this weekend!

We still have about 20 inches on the ground and 9 of those is solid ice from an ice storm we had in December that never thawed out!

This is abnormal for us however, last year we were almost all systems go at this point.

Apparently somebody was drilling test holes at the local airport and (again apparently) there is 9 ft. of frost!

Ugh!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
That's a sweet skid sprayer!

You are a lucky mother#$%^&* for having it get to the 60's this weekend!

We still have about 20 inches on the ground and 9 of those is solid ice from an ice storm we had in December that never thawed out!

This is abnormal for us however, last year we were almost all systems go at this point.

Apparently somebody was drilling test holes at the local airport and (again apparently) there is 9 ft. of frost!

Ugh!
Thanks everyone.

Theres still a solid 6" on the ground in areas that aren't plowed, (my storage spot is always plowed by one of my buddies) so that helps. Im sure our frost is pretty damn deep too which sucks! It'll be at least mid April before we start clean ups, which is relatively normal. Last yr we had snow through the end of April.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2014, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey man everything looks great.
Hows that enclosed trailer holding up. I've been looking at those Diamond Cargos, and for the price it's worth the 13 hour drive for me. Want to put one in the budget for next spring.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchannaultROLC View Post
Hey man everything looks great.
Hows that enclosed trailer holding up. I've been looking at those Diamond Cargos, and for the price it's worth the 13 hour drive for me. Want to put one in the budget for next spring.
It hasn't had a whole lot of use, couple months last fall, but it's handled one of our coldest winters in 15+ yrs. Id highly recommend getting one! For a fert/weed control rig in a year or two, I plan on getting another diamond cargo enclosed.

As soon as the salt is off the roads, Ill be ablr to bring it home to put bedliner on the floor & install racks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2014, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It has been an interesting couple weeks.

April 3-4 we had a snow storm and received 9-10" of snow depending on exact location. We started plowing Thursday evening, it kept snowing until about noon Friday and we were plowing until Friday at 5:30p.

Most places had a lot of snow melt from the hard surfaces during the day Friday as it was sunny. Tore up a lot of turf and with the melting it led to having a few clients complain as to why they were charged for plowing in April. Little did they know the roads were impassable in anything other than a truck/full size suv overnight. There were some roads that felt like I was racing motocross on a sand track had basically no steering except keeping momentum. 12 hours later, those same roads were dry.

Here are some pics.

This is near one of my client's properties, the city plow tore the crap out of this person's lawn. A similar thing happened to the neighbor who lives right behind me.

Some from Thursday evening

Then last week we had 60s & our first 70 degree day since probably September. Felt great to get outside for once and not be freezing!

I was able to get bedliner installed in my trailer. Sanded it down, taped everything and used rollers to put on Herculiner. I'm very happy with how it turned out. Did one coat and then let it sit overnight and did another coat/touching up.

I also sold my Scag 36" WB last week and bought a buddy's 36" Exmark TTHP (he parks his equipment next to mine) over the weekend.

Washed it up and got it ready for clean ups.

I had a request from one of the management companies we do a fair amount of work for to do a clean up before new tenants moved in. They moved in today so we got that done yesterday. It was 35 degrees and windy, not fun. And there was hardly anything for turf, I had only seen this property covered in snow when we started plowing it back in Feb.

On the day it was 70 degrees I put my plow away behind my enclosed trailer and it looks like I'll be pulling it out. With 2-4" on the way starting late tonight through early Thursday morning and 3-5" coming to some of my accounts. But then back to the 50s this weekend and 60s starting Monday, hopefully no more snow after this.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well it's been a month since I made a post here. Almost seems like this site is dying?!

Been crazy busy with clean ups/dethatching & fert. It has also been raining a ton. The week before last week we received about 5" of rain over the course of 5 days and temps barely were above 45. We had nice weather last week and were able to get a fair amount of work done. Had more rain Thurs and had to take Friday off and got back at it after completing this small install Saturday morning. Took yesteday (Mother's day) off and now we're facing even more rain today, at least an inch fell overnight and temps will be cold until the weekend and it looks like we may be back to normal temps early next week. After all this rain the grass will most likely be growing like crazy. My phone & email accts blew up on the nicer weather days and I still have yet to send out my nearly 9500 eddm postcards because we haven't had a stretch of good weather yet. I'm thinking later this week I may send out some and the rest early next week.

I'm also getting graphics on my trailer this weekend or next. I can't wait to get them on!

Here are some shots of the small install we did on Saturday.

Before

After - removed the crappy retaining wall block and replaced with boulders and freshened the bed up with new mulch also.

I haven't taken too many pics of clean ups/dethatching as we're pushing hard to get things done and I still need to get a digital camera to get better quality pics! But here are some of the larger properties that are irrigated where you can actually see the stripes.

I have no idea what they did with that upper part of the back yard. They must have cut it very short last fall or something. We also do fert/wc at the property I was standing in.

Some of you may remember this property from a pic I posted last year, the sun angle was absolutely perfect and it almost looked like I photoshopped the stripes. Unfortunately it was cloudy the day we did the dethatch there.

Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Looking good matt. Next time bury about the lower 1/4 of the rocks so they look a little more "grounded". Cant really explain it but i hope you get what im saying.

We just started getting temps above 60 so its crazy busy. I think most guys are out working instead of posting and the real big guys are leaving the site since all the solo ops started telling them how to do their job haha